Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-31-2010, 06:16 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 25' Tradewind
Blue Ridge , Georgia
how can I remove the blue and red pinstriping?

Ok, so I stripped all the clear coat off with Removal. The pinstriping won't come off. It is old, weathered and has kind of "shattered" for a lack of better terms. It's in a million pieces, so no way to heat it up and remove it. Plus I have arthritis in my fingers a bit... Hard to peel anything!
Does anyone know of a stripping product that will eat right through the sticker/pinstriping. I have a 1979 TradeWind and it has some really thick blue striping. The thin, 1/4" line red is easier to get off and is not the problem. The deteriorated blue is.
Help! Note: I did try to put 2 coats and 2 applications of Removal on but that stuff only removes the clear coat. It did not take off any of the blue stuff.
txstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Try some zip strip semi paste paint remover. Bout seven bucks a can. It MIGHT work. Just leave it on for a FAT thirty minutes and see what happens.
Only other stuff is call OOPS' that you get at Walmart. Get the strongest they have on the shelf.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
I had to use that nasty paint removal goo - you have to use gloves as the stuff eats at your skin!

I got some plastic chisel-like scrapers at Harbor Freight to use on the old red and blue stripping...

I also used a heat gun with some success, along with the plastic 'chisels' to carefully scrape off the pieces...

Acetone was used last to help clean up the mess...

Yes, it was a nasty job that took several hours, but I prevailed...it was curious that the blue stripe had 'etched' the alum skin where it was attached, but the red stripe didn't???

Alas, the narrower red and blue tape stripping I applied as a replacement, has now, after two years, began to 'crack' with the constant expansion and contraction of the skin...sometimes you just can't win!

Ray
Old 08-31-2010, 07:33 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Commerce , Texas
If this is a pinstripe tape, there is a tool sold at autobody supply stores that is used with an electric drill to remove pinstripe. This shouldn't damage the aluminum because is is used on auto paint.

"You can buy a cheaper burger, but then you gotta eat it." Texas Burger
jal4509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:15 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1979 25' Tradewind
Blue Ridge , Georgia
Aircraft stripper worked.

So I took your advice and went to Advanced Auto Parts. Bought Aircraft aluminum stripper in a spray can. Wore vapor mask, long sleeves, chemical resistant gloves, safety glasses, long pants... you name it. I sprayed it on, waited 30 minutes and scraped it off, then power washed it. It too 2 coats but worked real well. My only tip is... DO NOT GET ONE DROP OF THIS ON YOU! It burns a hole right through your skin. One tiny sprayed drop got on my upper wrist. Holy Moly! Burnt bad. But the stuff does work. Safety First!
Thanks everyone!
txstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:38 AM   #6

1998 34' Excella 1000
1995 36' Classic 36
Spencerville , Maryland
I suppose this will work on my moho striping as well. I will definitely wear goggles if it is as corrosive as you describe!
GREENovaters is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pinstriping