Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-11-2005, 05:46 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
Andy,
I'm looking forward to hearing about the results of your testing with Evershield. I'm curious, is it applied over plasticoat or must it be applied to bare aluminum?
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 08:08 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Thompson
I am in the process of trying Liquid Glass to protect polished castings such as clearance light bases. I have also tried Zoop Seal which is much more expensive, $125 for the kit. The Zoop Seal did OK on some applications but only mediocre on others. I have no idea why! Maybe it was the way I was holding my mouth when I applied it! I won't be buying more Zoop Seal, but the Liquid Glass looks promising.
On my lower panels where I stripped off the grey paint last year, I had polished them out, not to mirror shine but still reflective and shiny. I coated with two coats of LG, and by this summer they were still looking good but not as shiny as when done. With a small application of wax remover then metal polish the shine easily returned and I have resealed with LG. Curious to see how others fare with this stuff. I am now using it on my 78 911 as well.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 12:27 PM   #23
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
wbrowmrr.

I am not aware of any paint, that can be applied over dead paint, and make anything other than a horrible mess.

Refinishing an Airstream can be time consuming, but you must start with the bare metal.

Also, it is far better to have the metal prepared for painting, seal "all" the seams, and then, paint it. In that way, the paint keeps the sealers in great shape.

Bob Thompson.

I have never seen Parbond result in a poor finish as you show in your photo.
Perhaps something may have been defective with it.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 05:37 PM   #24
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Bob Thompson.

I have never seen Parbond result in a poor finish as you show in your photo.
Perhaps something may have been defective with it.

Andy
Andy,
I have had the same results with mine...I wonder if the forumulation may have changed? I am going to clean mine out and put a thin bead of Vulkem in...with blue masking tape

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 11:58 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via MSN to gotair Send a message via Yahoo to gotair
evershield

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrownrr
Andy,
I'm looking forward to hearing about the results of your testing with Evershield. I'm curious, is it applied over plasticoat or must it be applied to bare aluminum?
I saw a 1/4 in thick piece of steel treated with this stuff that was heated with a torch untill the other side had a heat mark on it and the evershield was not affected...I met Mr. Stewart at an airshow where I saw the product used on all types of metals including painted metal however you have to keep in mind it wont heal cancer... contact danrstewart@verizon.net or www.stewartshanger21.aero there is some information at anoter site for evershield ceramic surface treatment... good luck ...

Dan
Old 06-15-2005, 08:17 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
I just wanted to confirm that Dan "gotair2" is my source for the Evershield information. If this product works out as well as expected, we will all owe him a big "thank you"!
Way to go, Dan!
Old 06-16-2005, 10:51 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Castaic , California
Alsa

I actually have some of this stuff as I know the guys from ALSA. I used their Ghost Chrome on my Triumph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Spies
AirHeadRik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 11:57 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Andy,
I have had the same results with mine...I wonder if the forumulation may have changed? I am going to clean mine out and put a thin bead of Vulkem in...with blue masking tape

Aaron
mine looks worse than that in some spots ... i found water in the joints after i had already started applying it... In the areas where it was dry it looks much better and where there was water it looks worse than those photos..it will all have to come off..
Old 06-23-2005, 04:59 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1986 34' Limited
South Lake Tahoe , California
Here is the link to EverShield Tech Data Sheet : http://www.nationalsealants.com/Evershield%20TDS.pdf#search='evershield'

I just spent a few minutes with the Deft industrial division this morning - they specialize in military aircraft coatings. They recomended stripping first - the service manual from Airstream secretariat (approx $75.00) can tell you how; it is worth the bucks - a fund of info. - then appling AlumaPrep 33 and Alodine 1200** but without knowing the kind of aluminum on the trailer they would not recomend the finish product. AlumaPrep is a cleaner and brightner restorer of oxidized surfaces. I seem to remember that Alodine coatings while providing corrosion protection will create a blotchie surface. Once I find out the type of aluminum used on my 86 Limited, I'll talk to Deft again and the update this site. Alodine 1001 is a clear finish while 1200 is golden.

A few months ago I spoke to Airstream's corp sales manager and he indicated that they had solved the peeling problem by having Alcoa apply the new coating with a UV protectant componet in the Alcoa factory and then assemble the coated skin at AS.

** there is no such thing as a "clear alodine 1200" coating. Alodine 1200, 1200s and 600 are all MC (multicolor coatings) chemfilms. If you request 1200, you will get a colored coating. If you requested clear however, you will get an alodine 1500 or an alodine 1000 (these are CC, or colorless coatings). Alodine 1200 is very toxic. And,

Alodine 1200 is a Chromate Conversion Coating, which contains hexavalent chromium. Alodine 1200 is intended to provide corrosion prevention when left unpainted as well to improve adhesion of paint finish systems on aluminum and aluminum alloys. Alodine 1200 is also intended for use as a corrosion preventive film for electrical and electronic applications where lower resistant contacts, relative to Class 1A and anodic coatings, are required. Above information is taken from MIL-C-5541E – Class descriptions.

And

Alodine 5200 is chromate free and is much less toxic than Chromate Conversion Coating. Alodine 5200 is considered environmentally friendly. The Department of Defense approves Alodine 5200 for use for use as a coating substrate only to improve adhesion of paint. It does not provide the corrosion resistance that Alodine 1200 does and should not be used for that purpose. Alodine 5200 is a clear coating only. To our knowledge, at the time of writing this Information Sheet there are no US Military Specifications pertaining directly to Alodine 5200 or non-chrome conversion coatings.

Hope this gives some info you can use. Ernie
Ernie2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 01:51 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1986 34' Limited
South Lake Tahoe , California
I spoke to AFS re EverShield and got the following info:
1. After stripping you need to apply their heavy duty cleaner; they claim will not harm asphalt.
2. Then apply the alumimun etch 10:1 dilution; they claim will not harm asphalt.
3. Then brush on, with a sponge brush, from the bottom up.
4. Wear a NIOSH approved respirator and solvent resistance gloves.
See their web site for more info: http://www.aircraftfinishing.com/evershield.htm

Ernie
Ernie2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 08:36 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

[QUOTE=Inland RV Center, In]Bob Thompson.

We have ordered some of the Evershield material for testing.

It appears that it can out do Airstreams plasticoat.

The bad news is the cost. One quart from them costs $250.00, and a gallon is $950.00, plus shipping.

The good news is that one quart, "they say" will do a 31 foot Airstream trailer.
They suggest that you "do not" spray it on, but apply it with a fine roller such as you use on interior walls.

This certainly is cheaper than the Airstream plasticoat, which does have a waste factor, in that you must spray it on. Additionally, spray painting is not something that most people can do.

We will report back within a couple of weeks.

Andy[/QUOTE

Just a quick follow up

you were going to get back to us with a report on the performance and ease application what do you think of the product... do you think it would work for an airstream...