Old 06-10-2005, 09:13 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
One of the fine members of this forum was at an air show recently where someone was selling Evershield. He brought the product to my attention: http://www.aircraftfinishing.com/evershield.htm

The manufacturer's description:
AIRCRAFT FINISHING SYSTEMS EVERSHIELD is a two-component, ceramic clearcoat/chemical treatment system designed for Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM) to protect the substrate over which it is applied from corrosion and oxidation. EVERSHIELD, when applied properly, will not yellow, chip, crack, or peel. If gouged or damaged, the finish will not experience creepage and is repairable. EVERSHIELD is designed to coat surfaces that require a durable, flexible, and solvent resistant thin coating that can withstand temperatures of 2,000 F. EVERSHIELD offers excellent coverage, durability, and corrosion protection as well as being a low VOC and EPA compliant coating. EVERSHIELD is applied clear and will dry clear. The stuff looks promising.

Does anyone have any experience with this product? It would be great to have some real world feedback on it. "Dan", The Forum member who saw it said it was not cheap but the finish was exceptional. He saw the stuff used on bare metal, galvanised metal, and aluminum. What he saw was very clear and slick too!

Old 06-10-2005, 04:18 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Bob Thompson.

We have ordered some of the Evershield material for testing.

It appears that it can out do Airstreams plasticoat.

The bad news is the cost. One quart from them costs $250.00, and a gallon is $950.00, plus shipping.

The good news is that one quart, "they say" will do a 31 foot Airstream trailer.
They suggest that you "do not" spray it on, but apply it with a fine roller such as you use on interior walls.

This certainly is cheaper than the Airstream plasticoat, which does have a waste factor, in that you must spray it on. Additionally, spray painting is not something that most people can do.

We will report back within a couple of weeks.

Andy

Old 06-10-2005, 09:12 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Or paint it with Mirra Chrome

See http://alsacorp.com/products/mirrach...a_prodinfo.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mirrorchrome.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	12741  
Old 06-10-2005, 09:30 PM   #18
Rivet Master

It sounds awsome, but if you cant burn it or get it off with Mek or thinner, how would you ever remove it if needed?
Old 06-11-2005, 08:37 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
After reading the info on the Evershield, it seems clear that all caulking and sealing of the exterior of the trailer will have to be done before applying the Evershield. If the Evershield is as slick as they say, you will never get sealants to attach to it after it is on.

Along this same line of thinking, I need to express my findings on the sealants I've used. One year ago, I completed the caulking and sealing of my trailer using two products, Parbond and Seamer Mate. The Parbond I purchased from Vintage Airstreams and the Seamer Mate from Home Depot. The Parbond has done well in locations where it is out of the sunlight, such as behind the gravel guards. It looks fresh and near perfect. However, all other locations where it has been exposed to direct sunlight it has been a dismal failure. The exposed Parbond has shrunk, cracked, crazed and has taken on an "alligator back" appearance.

On the other hand, the Seamer Mate has performed perfectly. It looks almost as good as the day it was installed. It is still tightly bonded to the substrates and shows no sign of weathering. Its claim of being UV Resistant seems to be true.

Using Seamer Mate prior to applying the Evershield seems reasonable.
Old 06-11-2005, 09:24 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Here is picture of the Parbond (around window) and the Seamer Mate (along top of belt molding. The two were installed within a day or so of each other.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	seam16.GIF
Views:	117
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	12745  
Old 06-11-2005, 06:46 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
Andy,
I'm looking forward to hearing about the results of your testing with Evershield. I'm curious, is it applied over plasticoat or must it be applied to bare aluminum?
Old 06-12-2005, 09:08 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Thompson
I am in the process of trying Liquid Glass to protect polished castings such as clearance light bases. I have also tried Zoop Seal which is much more expensive, $125 for the kit. The Zoop Seal did OK on some applications but only mediocre on others. I have no idea why! Maybe it was the way I was holding my mouth when I applied it! I won't be buying more Zoop Seal, but the Liquid Glass looks promising.
On my lower panels where I stripped off the grey paint last year, I had polished them out, not to mirror shine but still reflective and shiny. I coated with two coats of LG, and by this summer they were still looking good but not as shiny as when done. With a small application of wax remover then metal polish the shine easily returned and I have resealed with LG. Curious to see how others fare with this stuff. I am now using it on my 78 911 as well.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 01:27 PM   #23
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
wbrowmrr.

I am not aware of any paint, that can be applied over dead paint, and make anything other than a horrible mess.

Refinishing an Airstream can be time consuming, but you must start with the bare metal.

Also, it is far better to have the metal prepared for painting, seal "all" the seams, and then, paint it. In that way, the paint keeps the sealers in great shape.

Bob Thompson.

I have never seen Parbond result in a poor finish as you show in your photo.
Perhaps something may have been defective with it.

Andy
Old 06-12-2005, 06:37 PM   #24
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Bob Thompson.

I have never seen Parbond result in a poor finish as you show in your photo.
Perhaps something may have been defective with it.

Andy
Andy,
I have had the same results with mine...I wonder if the forumulation may have changed? I am going to clean mine out and put a thin bead of Vulkem in...with blue masking tape

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 12:58 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via MSN to gotair Send a message via Yahoo to gotair
evershield

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrownrr
Andy,
I'm looking forward to hearing about the results of your testing with Evershield. I'm curious, is it applied over plasticoat or must it be applied to bare aluminum?
I saw a 1/4 in thick piece of steel treated with this stuff that was heated with a torch untill the other side had a heat mark on it and the evershield was not affected...I met Mr. Stewart at an airshow where I saw the product used on all types of metals including painted metal however you have to keep in mind it wont heal cancer... contact danrstewart@verizon.net or www.stewartshanger21.aero there is some information at anoter site for evershield ceramic surface treatment... good luck ...

Dan
Old 06-15-2005, 09:17 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
I just wanted to confirm that Dan "gotair2" is my source for the Evershield information. If this product works out as well as expected, we will all owe him a big "thank you"!
Way to go, Dan!
Old 06-16-2005, 11:51 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Castaic , California
Alsa

I actually have some of this stuff as I know the guys from ALSA. I used their Ghost Chrome on my Triumph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Spies
Old 06-18-2005, 12:57 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via MSN to gotair Send a message via Yahoo to gotair
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Andy,
I have had the same results with mine...I wonder if the forumulation may have changed? I am going to clean mine out and put a thin bead of Vulkem in...with blue masking tape

Aaron
mine looks worse than that in some spots ... i found water in the joints after i had already started applying it... In the areas where it was dry it looks much better and where there was water it looks worse than those photos..it will all have to come off..