Old 08-01-2006, 06:01 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Gainesville , Florida
Smile HELP! TOTAL Newbie seeks polishing advice!

Hello All,

As of yesterday evening my brother and I are the proud owners of a 1970 '27 Overlander in suprisingly good shape. We are interested in bringing the exterior into a little better shape, and were considering doing some polishing. We would really like to shine it up SOME (we don't really want to go for the mirror shine, as good as it looks), and wanted to know if anyone could provide any guidance. Should we use NuVite, and if so, what grade? We would like to remove some of the oxidation and make it a little shinier, but prefer a look that is pretty easy to maintain... anyone have any suggestions?

Should we use a buffer? If so, what type, and is there anything to avoid?

Should we remove all of the decals first, and do we need to use any kind of stripper on it? Is there any way to polish the decals up and make them look more attractive?

There are also two blue strips that go all the way around our "new" beauty that are in pretty rough shape. Can you buy paint for them and go at it, or should you replace them? If so, where would you buy that?

I sure would appreciate just a little help, as we are extremely excited to become a new part of the Airstream brotherhood! We just want to do our silver bullet a little justice in the meantime... THANKS A LOT!

Old 08-01-2006, 07:01 PM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by '70verlander
Hello All,

As of yesterday evening my brother and I are the proud owners of a 1970 '27 Overlander in suprisingly good shape. We are interested in bringing the exterior into a little better shape, and were considering doing some polishing. We would really like to shine it up SOME (we don't really want to go for the mirror shine, as good as it looks), and wanted to know if anyone could provide any guidance. Should we use NuVite, and if so, what grade? We would like to remove some of the oxidation and make it a little shinier, but prefer a look that is pretty easy to maintain... anyone have any suggestions?

Should we use a buffer? If so, what type, and is there anything to avoid?

Should we remove all of the decals first, and do we need to use any kind of stripper on it? Is there any way to polish the decals up and make them look more attractive?

There are also two blue strips that go all the way around our "new" beauty that are in pretty rough shape. Can you buy paint for them and go at it, or should you replace them? If so, where would you buy that?

I sure would appreciate just a little help, as we are extremely excited to become a new part of the Airstream brotherhood! We just want to do our silver bullet a little justice in the meantime... THANKS A LOT!
I would advise against starting apolishing process if you don't want to go all the way. Most of the steps in polishing look worse than before until the swirl marks get removed, by which time you will already have spent quite a bit of money and time.
Why not strip the failing cler coat off the trailer and have a look? Often a stripped traielr looke quite nice, with the aluminum under neath being bright and fresh.
You will have to strip before polishing anyways, so that would be a good start from which to make further decisions.
A search on stripping clear coat will reveal a myriad of pages to peruse.

Old 08-01-2006, 10:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by '70verlander
...Should we use a buffer? If so, what type, and is there anything to avoid?
Yes, after stripping the trailer coating and decals (make sure stripper does not contact vinyl or plastic), use a low speed or adjustible speed buffer with wool bonnets (Vintage Trailer Supply) and pre-polish. I started with a large can of Rolite Pre-polish. It will get rid of much of the oxidation but leaves many swirl marks you will not be happy with in the sun. You can then buff using a finer grade of Nuvite or Rolite and/or start with a Cyclo dual orbital head polisher with the mid grade Rolite to start a nice polish. I switched after using 1 1/2 cans of mid grade Rolite and used Nuvite Grade C which I liked better. There was less black left on the Cyclo polishing cloths. It left an excellent shine but I wanted more. I finished with AP-300 final polish, wiped the trailer down with mineral spirits and applied a final polymer sealant.

If you use the search function, you will find a thread I answered detailing the products I bought, how much and where I bought them. You will also find numerous sites in threads which direct you to sites with polishing procedures that are quite good.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:56 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

San Diego , California
I would agree with UWE all or nothing. Getting the clear off is going to make it look much better anyway so you could stop there. Just know this, ones you start down this road its a never ending job. Not as bad as you think or what some would say but you will need to stay on it. I polish AS gas tankers semi truck 4 a living. I'm not pimpin for work just saying "been there done that". OK so getting the clear off, I use aircraft stripper. It gnarly stuff so proceed with,. use a pressure washer to blast it off, spot check till its gone. get a dewalt variable speed polisher a block of green rouge and a 40 stitch flannel 10 inch 1/2 arbor wheel (Jackson lee) put a mask on and go to town. The 4 corners are the hardiest to do. Well there it is the way i get it done. Its not the only way to polish but you cant be the time you save as for the shine look @ the pic
Old 07-02-2009, 10:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
I betcha we have the same build of trailers...we checked out this massive bottle of 'Gravel in a bottle' with a great price...it stays wet as you work it around which is good. That little blue stripe can be replaced with a nice vinyl pinstrip that will 'fit' right in there without trying to restore the paint. Then we use mothers which also goes a long ways and works good to finish. The nuvite works great but it's expensive. The 'gravel' works great too and at a great price.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:04 AM   #6

1984 31' Sovereign
Randolph , Maine
Another Newbie!

What is the best way to reach the top of the AS to polish?

Thanks
Old 08-12-2009, 08:34 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
you should invest

If your going the polish route...buy an inexpensive scaffold. It will save you a twisted back, a broken bone a dented panel...etc., etc. You will need to use it few times a year to maintain a great polish...once a year a good polish. Well worth having.