Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-14-2011, 01:29 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
So sickening! We feel for you . . .

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:16 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Meguires makes a product called "ultimate compound" and "scratch x". They are made for automotive finishes and are aggresive enough to remove contaminates without damaging the paint finish. I would assume it would work the same way on the clearcoat... My clearcoat has been gone for a while, so I have not tried this on the as, just the truck. I would try on an inconspicuous spot first.
Good luck
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:24 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Havelock , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierdaddy View Post
A sign painter once told me that he uses oven cleaner to remove lettering enamel off from an automotive finish.
I've used that for removing painted on lettering on a door of a truck I owned. Did take the letter paint right off and did not damage the auto finish. Didn't leave it on very long. You have to use the "original" easy off oven cleaner. The newer stuff doesn't work. Good ole skull and crossbones
nsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:53 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Cleveland , Tennessee
Airstream Damage

Hey DeCosta: This makes me very angry! I was going to suggest using the paste wax, however, just seeing your post..... I realized someone else has already suggested this. If you decide to use any of the chemicals suggested, I would recommend using some in a spot not too noticeable to see what it does to the clear coat. If it was done while in your usual storage space then I would consider how to protect it from future abuse. Lastly, get some crisis counseling! (Just trying to infuse some humor, helps with the pain)! Good luck.

Terry.

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there." Lewis Carroll

AIR #38011
TAC TN-4
NOVA
Steelegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:35 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Paste Wax really DOES sound like a darn good idea. Just leaving it on eh? I've got some nasty sap on the roof that is going to get that treatment.

It's a nice day - I think I'll take the day off and go wax mine as a protective!

If the guy that did it is named Kenny - I hope they do kill the bas####!

Paula
Old 11-14-2011, 11:21 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew05 View Post
I'd used Skin So Soft and baby Oil to remove some adhesive and tree sap with non noticeable harm.

Good Luck
Great stuff, use it whenever I have something needing dissolving, only problem is a little if not removed keeps on softening. Spilled some on carpet wiped it up washed area and the following week the carpet had changed, formed a bubble like structure. Make sure you use a detergent that dissolves oil before your final rinse.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:29 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
Great stuff, use it whenever I have something needing dissolving, only problem is a little if not removed keeps on softening. Spilled some on carpet wiped it up washed area and the following week the carpet had changed, formed a bubble like structure. Make sure you use a detergent that dissolves oil before your final rinse.
Skin So Soft is mainly mineral oil - just try plain old mineral oil first. It's a LOT cheaper

Paula
Old 11-16-2011, 03:28 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Akron , Ohio
Food grade mineral oil can be found in drug stores. It's the best thing for conditioning wooden butcher blocks too.

Karen
prudencepb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:42 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
OK - results? What was used? Lets close this loop on this thread.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:16 AM   #30
Airstream Handyman

1973 23' Safari
1970 27' Overlander
1959 24' Tradewind
1975 20' Argosy 20
Phoenix , Arizona
Goof Off works for us at Airstreams4rent. It is amazing. The paint wipes right off and the trailers still look great.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:52 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2007 22' International CCD
fLUSHING , New York
Wow guys thank you I used alcohol and it took about 1/2 per letter. It seems the clear coat is all right but when I rub my hands over it it's not as smooth. I found the asshole and brought him into the trailer and shared with him my dream and how his spear of a moment chrapp really effected me my family and how hurt and saddened. I think he under stud and feel he may think twice next time. Again thanks to all of you. I could have just busted his head open but im much wiser in my older age.
DaCosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:37 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
You are a better man for it. I would have struggled with the same feelings but in the end you did the right thing. Try some wax, a good paste wax - you may find it will help - I hope so.

Mike
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:10 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCosta View Post
Wow guys thank you I used alcohol and it took about 1/2 per letter. It seems the clear coat is all right but when I rub my hands over it it's not as smooth. I found the asshole and brought him into the trailer and shared with him my dream and how his spear of a moment chrapp really effected me my family and how hurt and saddened. I think he under stud and feel he may think twice next time. Again thanks to all of you. I could have just busted his head open but im much wiser in my older age.
I notice you're from the City - and graffiti is so common there the kid who did it probably didn't even think. You're a good person to have resisted the impulse to modify his dental array with a heavy 2 ft piece of rebar. Waxing the trailer sounds like a good idea - have the kid do it, and if that doesn't get the Airstream back to original shape, have the kid pay to have P & S recoat it. Forebearance is good - but restitution should be expected.

GOOD Karma to you, Paula
Old 11-29-2011, 08:43 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Yonkers , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I notice you're from the City - and graffiti is so common there the kid who did it probably didn't even think. You're a good person to have resisted the impulse to modify his dental array with a heavy 2 ft piece of rebar. Waxing the trailer sounds like a good idea - have the kid do it, and if that doesn't get the Airstream back to original shape, have the kid pay to have P & S recoat it. Forebearance is good - but restitution should be expected.

GOOD Karma to you, Paula

Paula,
"modify his dental array with a heavy 2 ft piece of rebar" X 2
This is the quote of the month for me and honestly, I'm more forgiving to accidental dents or damages but not graffiti. It's a big crime in NY, especially in the 5 Boroughs of NYC.

Da Costa - Like everyone have said, you are a good person that we can all learn from. "Forgiveness is a virtue of the brave" Indira Gandhi.
F450Harley is offline   Reply With Quote