Old 07-27-2006, 09:30 AM   #1

1976 31' Sovereign
hoboken , Georgia
Help Me Out Here ....we're Going To Strip It

OK, FIRST OFF.... WE HAVE CLEANED ALL THE YEARS OF GUNK AND GREENSTUFF OFF OF THE EXTERIOR. UNDER ALL THAT STUFF THE ALUMINUM HAS A PEELING WHITE FLAKY BUNCH OF JUNK ABOUT HALF WAY DOWN THE SIDES ALL THE WAY AROUND. THE TOP IS REALLY SHINY AND PRETTY. I HAVE ORDERED THE HYDROSTIP 502 TO REMOVE THE CLEARCOAT AND PLAN TO DO THIS WHILE MY HUSBAND IS REPAIRING THE FLOOR ON THE INSIDE. (WELL NOT AT THE SAME TIME) BUT DURING THE SAME PHASE.

I WAS JUST WONDERING WHAT THE NEXT STEP WILL BE. WE REALLY DO NOT WANT TO SPRAY MORE CLEARCOAT ON IT. SO, DO I JUST NEED TO KEEP IT WAXED WHEN I AM DONE. WE DO NOT WANT TO HARM THE ALUMINUM AT ALL. I HAVE READ ON HERE ABOUT WAXING AND WHICH PRODUCTS TO USE. WE HAVE TRIED SOMETHING CALLED MOTHERS POLISH ON A TEST SPOT AND IT DID A REALLY GREAT JOB. ANYBODY ELSE EVER TRY THIS?

I HAVE HEARD ABOUT "UPKEEP" BUT I HAVE BEEN A STAY AT HOME MOM FOR 8 YEARS NOW AND MY YOUNGEST STARTS SCHOOL THIS YEAR....SO I AM GOING TO HAVE ALOT OF TIME ON MY HANDS. I AM GOING TO NEED TO STAY BUSY. I GUESS THATS WHY MY HUSBAND BROUGHT HOME A NEW "BABY" TO TEND TO. lol

ITS GONNA GET MESSY.... BEFORE ITS DONE. lol

Old 07-27-2006, 09:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
A gentle reminder about posting etiquette: Capital letters indicate shouting and shouting isn't a good thing.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion" (coming soon)
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 09:52 AM   #3

1976 31' Sovereign
hoboken , Georgia
sorry....

thank you for the polite reminder i wasn't really paying attention to how loud my voice is this morning..... will do better.......and post a little quieter
Old 07-27-2006, 09:57 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Welcome your new child!

I'm not sure of which type of finish you're looking for. If you just want to "brighten" the aluminum, then stripping and waxing with a product like Walbernize (sold by Airstream) or Liquid Glass would do the trick.

If you REALLY want to get some exercise, and have a "hobby" that's even better than pulling weeds (which, I really dislike doing), then polishing for a mirror like finish is what you want to do.

Search "polishing" ... and then sit a while to hear everyone's different take on it.

Or.. you can visit "www. perfectpolish.com" (I think that's the link) and see how they do it.

You can also get a good idea by looking at Shari (moderator) personal site... it's in the "links" section of this forum under individual's restoration sites.

Good luck, and post away!
Marc
Old 07-27-2006, 12:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Polishing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy
You can also get a good idea by looking at Shari (moderator) personal site... it's in the "links" section of this forum under individual's restoration sites.
Here's a link to our ASF polishing pics and our website polishing page which has a little more info.

Hope you find them helpful...good luck with whatever you chose to do.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 08:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I always have had a nice garden....until I started polishing my Airstream! I looks great so far, but boy is it a lot of work! I'm a woman too, so you really can do it! I am following the perfect polish method too.

Good luck!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote