Old 05-27-2008, 08:09 PM   #113
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander
Do you sell Bosch? That is the best line of tools out there in my not humble opinion. I love harbor freight, if you do not believe me, check my blog. I wrote an entire entry dedicated just to the proper care of their complete line of tools.
Beautiful blog entry. I laughed, I cried. I even posted a response as "anonymous" but just realized I didn't sign my name. Or, was that really me?

So, have you tried using your new compounder yet and, if so, how would you rate it compared to the HF tool that you loved so much?

utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:15 PM   #114
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Polishers

Quote:
Originally Posted by monocoque
It's a deal!

But don't forget to bring along your variable speed polishers! Looks like I definitely be getting one soon; my first weekend polishing was simply by hand.

I haven't found a dewalt variable speed polisher locally. What's your experience with other variable speed polishers? The dewalts are about $199.
I used a Harbor Freight $29 polisher and paid $5 for the extra 2 year warranty...so far it's lasted 3 years. Only problem is the swirl marks. However, it does wonders on the rough oxidation when you use it with a good wool polishing pad. I now have a Porter Cable Random Orbit Polisher. It is a great unit, no swirls and easy to handle. I think I paid $129 for it online. My system was to use the Harbor Freight, wool pad and Nuvite C to start and then finish up with the Porter Cable and Nuvite S and Diamondbrite truck box polish (Lowes). It works really well. As far a the random orbits go, the Porter Cable is a great unit and definately the best bang for the buck.
-Don

Old 05-27-2008, 09:15 PM   #115
WBCCI 11067 WDCU

1986 25' Sovereign
Atlanta , Georgia
I got a pound of F9 compound in today. Am interested to see how deeply this cuts the heavy corrosion vs. oxidation.[/quote]

Just my opinion but the F9 really doesn't cut that much. I have polishe my end caps as an experiment for well over 10 passes and haven't gotten very far until trying the sand paper method.

I also agree with the hand sanding. There are just too many "curves" in the skin of my airstream and the rubber block would level out way more than 1/32" an inch.

I am going to post pictures tommorrow but this thread has given me new life.
2007 Chevy Silverado 1500
2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
ckeysor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:53 PM   #116
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
In case I wasn't clear. I am wet sanding with a small finishing sander with wet paper with a little pressure. Hose the area above so it runs down and sand as the water passes over the area. Then hose away the dust and do some more. My trailer is 50 years old. It will still have dings and pits the size of superfine sugar or smaller. I have not tried this on the end caps. I will us something I can contour to the shape. You may remove your clad layer and end up polishing the alloy. I don't think that will shine as much. If all else fails I'll still have a trailer to go camping which may get comments from the mirror guys but strangers will think it's one of the coolest things they ever saw. And when they ask do they still make those, I'll say not anymore, not like this....
Old 05-27-2008, 10:06 PM   #117
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59
You may remove your clad layer and end up polishing the alloy. I don't think that will shine as much. If all else fails I'll still have a trailer to go camping which may get comments from the mirror guys but strangers will think it's one of the coolest things they ever saw. And when they ask do they still make those, I'll say not anymore, not like this....
Here is something I'd like to learn more about. What do you mean by "you may remove your clad layer and end up polishing the alloy?" What is the clad layer? Is a clad layer measurable? Do we know the dimensions of the clad layer? How is this deep sanding affecting the clad layer? How does heavy compound such as the F7 affect the clad layer?

“Complications arose, ensued, were overcome...savvy?”
- Captain Jack Sparrow
monocoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 10:18 PM   #118
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra93
My system was to use the Harbor Freight, wool pad and Nuvite C to start and then finish up with the Porter Cable and Nuvite S and Diamondbrite truck box polish (Lowes). It works really well. As far a the random orbits go, the Porter Cable is a great unit and definately the best bang for the buck.
-Don
Are you using the Porter Cable for the same purpose that some prefer to use the Cyclo Dual Head Orbital Polisher as the finishing touch so to speak? I'm not being picky about particular brands or models, to each his own, I'm only trying to understand the exact usefulness or function of the particular tool?

- Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 05-27-2008, 10:18 PM   #119
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Here's a related thread.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f311/alclad-28776.html
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 10:24 PM   #120
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeysor
Just my opinion but the F9 really doesn't cut that much. I have polishe my end caps as an experiment for well over 10 passes and haven't gotten very far until trying the sand paper method.

I also agree with the hand sanding. There are just too many "curves" in the skin of my airstream and the rubber block would level out way more than 1/32" an inch.

I am going to post pictures tommorrow but this thread has given me new life.
Chris, this is exactly what I'm interesting in learning. Under what conditions should we use the sandpaper? What exactly are those conditions? It seems to me that sandpaper is the last resort? So what is the last resort? I want to try the F7 on the filiform corrosion and on the heavy oxidation. If nether budge with the compound or only after excessive cycles then maybe this is the point where we can safely say this is the point to use the sandpaper. I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures.

- Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 05-27-2008, 10:34 PM   #121
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
Thank-you very much. The thread you suggest is most helpful and contains information I definitely would like to learn more about. The discussion there certainly deserves some careful attention, I believe, in the context of what we're experimenting with here in this thread.

- Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 05-27-2008, 10:36 PM   #122
WBCCI 11067 WDCU

1986 25' Sovereign
Atlanta , Georgia
pictures, pictures

I will post the pictures still, but I want to hit on a couple of things.

First with an 86 Trailer I do not have Al Clad (the thin soft layer). Therefore, I can't get the mirror shine, which is fine with me, but I also don't have to worry as much about ruining the outer layer. Also, since I don't have al clad I also have a tougher time getting out scratches, pits, etc.

I also second the use of the porter cable. Once again with out Al Clad I can't get the mirror finish so the orbital polisher works fine for me so I don't have to buy the cyclo. With that said, I used the porter on my 79 also and it worked great, just didn't get a mirror shine. I really just like the dark rich tones of a polished trailer, not particulary a shine.
2007 Chevy Silverado 1500
2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
ckeysor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 04:25 AM   #123
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59
Are you coming to the VAC East Coast?
... and looking forward to meeting you.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 07:19 AM   #124
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander
Do you sell Bosch? That is the best line of tools out there in my not humble opinion. I love harbor freight, if you do not believe me, check my blog. I wrote an entire entry dedicated just to the proper care of their complete line of tools.
I have never purchased anything from HF but if I do I'll keep your maintenance suggestions in mind.

We do sell Bosch and they are certainly great tools. Depending on which product you need the other name brands are good as well. I love my DeWalt 18V Cordless drill, Makita Corded Drill, Milwaukee shears, and my ever faithful Dremel tool. I will have to wait to pass the verdict on my Makita polisher as I haven't caught up with you guys yet but I am soaking up as much advise as I can.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:49 PM   #125
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Festool
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:01 PM   #126
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeysor
I will post the pictures still, but I want to hit on a couple of things.

First with an 86 Trailer I do not have Al Clad (the thin soft layer). Therefore, I can't get the mirror shine, which is fine with me, but I also don't have to worry as much about ruining the outer layer. Also, since I don't have al clad I also have a tougher time getting out scratches, pits, etc.

I also second the use of the porter cable. Once again with out Al Clad I can't get the mirror finish so the orbital polisher works fine for me so I don't have to buy the cyclo. With that said, I used the porter on my 79 also and it worked great, just didn't get a mirror shine. I really just like the dark rich tones of a polished trailer, not particulary a shine.
Very good! Now where's those pictures?

- Captain Jack Sparrow