Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2008, 07:52 PM   #161
2 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Kimball , Minnesota
End caps different aluminum?

I, too, am a fool and have started to polish my '89 Excella. I started with F7 and a compounder and felt it was taking too many "passes" to bring up the shine. Ordered some F9 and it seems to be helping some everywhere except for the front end cap. It appears that the center portion of the end cap is the same material as the rest of the trailer, but the sides of the end cap appear to be a heavier gauge aluminum with a coarse surface. Four passes with F9 and it still isn't smooth, but does shine a little. Any ideas or advice? I may try the wet sanding that some of you are using.

I'm taking my trailer to the airshow in Osh Kosh week after next, it should provide a few laughs for everyone in it's partially polished condition. Nuvite always has a big display tent there with a guy polishing some ols airplane. Maybe I can get them to swing by and give me a on the spot consultation.

Thanks,

Rick
musketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:30 PM   #162
WBCCI 11067 WDCU

1986 25' Sovereign
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by musketeer View Post
I, too, am a fool and have started to polish my '89 Excella. I started with F7 and a compounder and felt it was taking too many "passes" to bring up the shine. Ordered some F9 and it seems to be helping some everywhere except for the front end cap. It appears that the center portion of the end cap is the same material as the rest of the trailer, but the sides of the end cap appear to be a heavier gauge aluminum with a coarse surface. Four passes with F9 and it still isn't smooth, but does shine a little. Any ideas or advice? I may try the wet sanding that some of you are using.

I'm taking my trailer to the airshow in Osh Kosh week after next, it should provide a few laughs for everyone in it's partially polished condition. Nuvite always has a big display tent there with a guy polishing some ols airplane. Maybe I can get them to swing by and give me a on the spot consultation.

Thanks,

Rick

Somewhere up in this thread we discussed the types of aluminum used in various years. I would think you have the same type as my 1986. Prior to 197?, the skins had a thin layer of Al-clad which is softer and shines up real nice. Our 80s don't have al-clad and so don't shine up to mirror finish.

Also, somewhere else I saw a description of why the end cones have the finish they do. Apparantly as the aluminum is bent over the subframe if is stretched and creates an orange peel finish to it. I have the same issue.

If you talk to the nuvite guys please pass along any information.
2007 Chevy Silverado 1500
2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
ckeysor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 10:10 PM   #163
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:

Thanks,

Rick
Rick, F9 leaves very deep swirl marks, which will require many passes with a milder compound to smooth out.
I would use C or F7 or G6 and just keep at it. It will shine up nicely eventually.
Lately, I have had good results with this product and method on problematic areas:
Jestco Products Buffing Supply - Airstream Polishing Kit (Powered by CubeCart)

I don't really use their finishing technique, but rather switch to a slow speed circular buffer with g6 after the compounding is complete.
This works especially well on heavy corrosion.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:05 AM   #164
2 Rivet Member

Hi there - not having any luck trying to track down a supplier for aluminum oxide wet sandpaper up here in victoria bc. Who do you buy thru to get a cross section of grits ? - I checked out on the web and noone seems to stock 1000 grit. Thanks James
technautica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 02:56 AM   #165
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I buy mine at a local auto parts store, I suggest you check them for some. There must be an auto body supply house near you. Here is a site I found just by doing a goggle search that has the good stuff...Car Abrasives, SUNGOLD WET OR DRY SHEETS The sun gold brand is very good quality and it comes in many grits.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:35 AM   #166
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Polish Party Imminent?

Hey Todd,

How's the heavy oxide polishing been lately? Or, has it just been too fraking hot to work?

Now that I have one of my own, we should put together the Polish Party. Of course, waiting until November might be a good idea...
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:39 AM   #167
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Hey, Marcus I'm dreamin' of November weather...although my tan is looking pretty good!

However, now that I've got my axles and frame, looks like I'll be doing less polishing and focusing more on the marriage of frame to shell!

None of which should stop us from putting together a polish party!

“Complications arose, ensued, were overcome...savvy?”
- Captain Jack Sparrow
monocoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:19 PM   #168
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
Now that I have one of my own, we should put together the Polish Party. Of course, waiting until November might be a good idea...
Marcus, post up a few photos of your new rig. You're not keeping her under wraps now are you? How's the exterior finish look? Hopefully you're not dealing with heavy oxidation or corrosion. Have you looked into polishers or polish yet?

- Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 07-29-2008, 03:29 PM   #169
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Hi Todd,

No, not trying to keep the pictures under wraps, I've just been tied up with family stuff since returning from the recovery mission, which took two days out of my vacation that I had originally planned on spending with my 10-month-old!

I'm working on getting the pictures up and will try to get some close ups of the skin. There's not any terribly heavy corrosion or oxidation, in fact all-in-all the exterior looks to be in good shape. A quick hand-polish to even up the finish on all panels would probably give the rig a nice, even, natural patina. Frank would say "perfect" at that point and leave it at that.

On the other hand, I can't get past the beautiful shine of a polished rig, so I will likely engage in the Extreme Folly of attempting to polish to a mirror shine.

I've thought a lot about products, tools, and techniques, but haven't yet come to any definitive conclusions on what I plan to use. Luckily, I have intrepid souls like you and Frank, as well as the pros like Rob, to guide me on this path.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:44 PM   #170
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Ahh...EXTREME FOLLY...now you're talking my language! Of course you have already shown the way in so many ways! I'm pretty sure you'll be polishing like the experts quite soon. BTW it's great seeing "1963 26' Overlander" listed in your profile.

- Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 07-31-2008, 04:13 PM   #171
2 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Kimball , Minnesota
Nuvite "Inspected" my polishing work

I'm just back from the airshow in Oshkosh, Wi and spent some time talking to the Nuvite folks. I told them about my polishing troubles and they offered to come take a look at the trailer to see first hand what and how I was doing. I did have one small area polished to a "final" degree for them to see and they thought that it looked very good. Here is what they had to say about the areas that don't look so good, and I add they they were very specific to add that these instructions are only for the the "newer" trailers with the satin aluminum fishish:

1. Use F9, two or three passes should remove the satin finish and get
down to a resonable shine. Use plenty of polish.
2. If you have heavy corrosion, wet sand then use the F9.
3. Follow up with F7 on the cyclo then S.

Of course, all of us know that the Nuvite website says to use the product sparingly and never wet sand. And some of us also know that F9 alone isn't doing the job. I think that those of us who are trying to polish one of the newer trailers must use a different process. The Nuvite folks were great, very helpful and happy to spend 30 minutes looking over my trailer.
musketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 07:01 PM   #172
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by monocoque View Post
Ahh...EXTREME FOLLY...now you're talking my language! Of course you have already shown the way in so many ways! I'm pretty sure you'll be polishing like the experts quite soon. BTW it's great seeing "1963 26' Overlander" listed in your profile.
Thanks amigo, it felt great to make the change in the profile!

I'm very much looking forward to seeing you put frame and shell together. You've come a long way.

-Marcus
Old 08-01-2008, 11:04 AM   #173
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
If you have heavy corrosion, wet sand then use the F9.
Thanks for the report from Nuvite. Interesting that they confirm our experience here using wet sanding for heavy corrosion! Please do post a few photos of your work if you get a chance!

- Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 02-04-2009, 11:23 AM   #174
2 Rivet Member

Wow! After Reading This Thread: Time for Death Certificate

My 72 Tradewind is under cover but right by the beach..... Which is where I need it.

Tragically.....that location will be a death sentence for old "Nancy". (Yes, named after Nancy Reagan....)

It's difficult to watch the slow demise as the worm corrosion takes the upper
hand... All I can do, it seems, is to keep it washed. Damn.... very sad. Waxing has not helped at all but perhaps actually accelerated the process.

The "Land Yacht" plates on each side were refabricated by a previous owner
and the corrosion at that contact point is horrendous. I think I will drill the rivets and remove them to try to save the skin.
yochanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:32 PM   #175
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Yes ,If you have it on the beach it is just wash,wash to keep the salt off.Better invest in the Nuvite,and polisher.Then you can use the wax.Good luck,Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:32 PM   #176
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Hi,

How do the remove the pits without damaging the rest of the panel?
Included are a few pics of my first panel.

I polished the bottles, they were easy.
Pic included.

I've been using Nuvite 7, 5, Met-All, I have S for the final polish.

I have a compound polisher, wool pads, and the Cyclo from VTS.

Also the roof is white with little bumps all over it.
I have washed it.
Sides are in good shape.

Who sales the aluminum oxide sandpaper?
Tried Advance Auto, Auto zone, Lowe's & H Depot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00488.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	75151   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00489.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	75152  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00490.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	75153   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00507.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	75154  

Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Silverwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 05:14 AM   #177
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by yochanan View Post
My 72 Tradewind is under cover but right by the beach..... Which is where I need it.

Tragically.....that location will be a death sentence for old "Nancy". (Yes, named after Nancy Reagan....)

It's difficult to watch the slow demise as the worm corrosion takes the upper
hand... All I can do, it seems, is to keep it washed. Damn.... very sad. Waxing has not helped at all but perhaps actually accelerated the process.

The "Land Yacht" plates on each side were refabricated by a previous owner
and the corrosion at that contact point is horrendous. I think I will drill the rivets and remove them to try to save the skin.
Your comment re the Land Yacht plates gives me an idea. How about a "sacrificial anode"? This is a piece of softer more reactive metal. You fasten it onto the metal you want to save and it corrodes instead.

I believe outboard motor trim tabs are made of magnesium alloy for this reason. They dissolve and save the aluminum motor.

Have heard that zinc will do the same for a steel car.

Maybe that's what happened to the original Land Yacht plates??

If there are any metalurgists in the crowd maybe they will chip in here??
Old 02-07-2009, 05:26 AM   #178
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Here is a Wikipedia entry on sacrificial anodes.

Sacrificial anode - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It says they work best on objects immersed in water or soil and do not work on objects exposed to air.

This site refers to pipelines (in the air) being protected by BURIED anodes. So maybe the thing to do would be to bury your anodes and connect to the trailer by a wire.

sacrificial anode: Definition from Answers.com

Here is more of an engineering site with details of anode materials, efficiency etc.

Sacrificial anodes
Old 02-08-2009, 07:59 PM   #179
WBCCI 11067 WDCU

1986 25' Sovereign
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverwanabe View Post
Hi,

How do the remove the pits without damaging the rest of the panel?
Included are a few pics of my first panel.

I polished the bottles, they were easy.
Pic included.

I've been using Nuvite 7, 5, Met-All, I have S for the final polish.

I have a compound polisher, wool pads, and the Cyclo from VTS.

Also the roof is white with little bumps all over it.
I have washed it.
Sides are in good shape.

Who sales the aluminum oxide sandpaper?
Tried Advance Auto, Auto zone, Lowe's & H Depot.
I found the aluminum oxide at an auto body supply store. That is my understanding that is the only place it is sold.
2007 Chevy Silverado 1500
2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
ckeysor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:33 AM   #180
1 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank's Trailer Works View Post
I buy mine at a local auto parts store, I suggest you check them for some. There must be an auto body supply house near you. Here is a site I found just by doing a goggle search that has the good stuff...Car Abrasives, SUNGOLD WET OR DRY SHEETS The sun gold brand is very good quality and it comes in many grits.
Sorry to bump this thread but thought to add some info as it was pointed out that silicone sandpaper should not be used on aluminum but rather wet/dry sandpaper that is aluminum oxide based. It turns out that the Sungold branded wet paper is silicone, not aluminum oxide based. To make matters worse, the 3M wetordry sand paper aluminum oxide based papers only go up to 800 grit. 1000 grit + is only silicone based.
Part numbers for the aluminum oxide 3m sheets are:
32040=320 (aluminum oxide)
32038=400 (aluminum oxide)
32036=600 (aluminum oxide)
32035=800 (aluminum oxide)
I've ordered Nuvite F7 as previously recommended but now think to order a 1 lb. jar of F9 as well since it seems that I can not get wet/dry sandpaper that is any higher than 800 grit.
Supergrafx77 is offline   Reply With Quote