Old 07-05-2008, 07:48 AM   #155
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Wow, you're making some great progress Frank. Looks like we need to invite you down to our polish party...

utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 09:48 AM   #156
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
drum or barrel polishing versus hand-sanding?

Here's a few photos of before and after 320 grade HAND-sanding on the rear curbside corner panel. What you see took about 2 hours. Three more grades to go 4-6 more hours! And that's only the sandpaper. Yeah those dents don't look pretty, I know, but I've always said this trailer has her battle scars. She's a "black pearl" for sure. I'd still like to tool up for Kip's solid shank rivet school and replace a few panels.

Frank thanks for the photos of encouragement! I need 'em right now. The axles are still in the assembly line, the days are hot, and polishing is taking lots of time. Marcus I suspect all we need to do to get Frank down here for a polish-party is to send out a few whiffs of your famous BBQ smoke in his direction.

Speaking of saving time. I stumbled upon an interesting thread (fights and all!) comparing polishing tools. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f441...est-23830.html With all this polishing and sanding ahead of me I sure would like to experiment with one of those barrel or drum polishers. They are said to cut polish time by 2/3! If that is so as time flows by I'm becoming curiouser and curiouser how one of those polishers would handle this deep filiform corrosion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0089.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	63219   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0092.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	63220  

“Complications arose, ensued, were overcome...savvy?”
- Captain Jack Sparrow
monocoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 09:52 AM   #157
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
It's looking good, Todd. I'll definitely supply the brisket for the Polish Party, and hopefully that will be enough to entice Frank to come down and help us out.

I think the major drawback on those barrel or drum polishers is cost, isn't it? Don't they run in the $700+ range? And also, don't they require a pretty heavy-duty air compressor to supply them? That would be more expense right there.

But still, the thought of cutting your polish time down by 2/3 is attractive.

-Marcus
Old 07-05-2008, 10:23 AM   #158
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Drum polishers definitely seem more expensive. But saving 2/3 the time especially if heavy oxidation or corrosion is present might easily recoup the cost in the long run. A cyclo runs about $360 and decent variable speed rotary polisher about $200. A brand new AH-2 Airmark runs $695.

If they save time they also save polish. So at this point as I see it the out-of-pocket cost for a polisher itself is about the same. Maybe cheaper if a second-hand polisher is available. Now I'm not sure what a heavy-duty compressor would cost but probably less than the polisher? I might need a good air compressor anyway as a prerequisite for registration in the Aerowood School of Riveting.

Now imagine a polishing party with three or more drum or barrel polishers running simultaneously! There might be lots of time left over for more challenging things like looking through the ice chest, adjusting the charcoal, staying out of the smoke, and checking on the BBQ! Maybe we trick REDNAX into driving up from Corpus to help with the fixins!

- Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 07-05-2008, 12:31 PM   #159
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
I'll definitely supply the brisket for the Polish Party
-Marcus
Can I come? I'm not Polish but my wife is half Polish!
Old 07-05-2008, 01:47 PM   #160
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
You're in with or without a drum polisher. A Polishing we will go....

- Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 07-16-2008, 08:52 PM   #161
2 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Kimball , Minnesota
End caps different aluminum?

I, too, am a fool and have started to polish my '89 Excella. I started with F7 and a compounder and felt it was taking too many "passes" to bring up the shine. Ordered some F9 and it seems to be helping some everywhere except for the front end cap. It appears that the center portion of the end cap is the same material as the rest of the trailer, but the sides of the end cap appear to be a heavier gauge aluminum with a coarse surface. Four passes with F9 and it still isn't smooth, but does shine a little. Any ideas or advice? I may try the wet sanding that some of you are using.

I'm taking my trailer to the airshow in Osh Kosh week after next, it should provide a few laughs for everyone in it's partially polished condition. Nuvite always has a big display tent there with a guy polishing some ols airplane. Maybe I can get them to swing by and give me a on the spot consultation.

Thanks,

Rick
Old 07-16-2008, 10:30 PM   #162
WBCCI 11067 WDCU

1986 25' Sovereign
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by musketeer View Post
I, too, am a fool and have started to polish my '89 Excella. I started with F7 and a compounder and felt it was taking too many "passes" to bring up the shine. Ordered some F9 and it seems to be helping some everywhere except for the front end cap. It appears that the center portion of the end cap is the same material as the rest of the trailer, but the sides of the end cap appear to be a heavier gauge aluminum with a coarse surface. Four passes with F9 and it still isn't smooth, but does shine a little. Any ideas or advice? I may try the wet sanding that some of you are using.

I'm taking my trailer to the airshow in Osh Kosh week after next, it should provide a few laughs for everyone in it's partially polished condition. Nuvite always has a big display tent there with a guy polishing some ols airplane. Maybe I can get them to swing by and give me a on the spot consultation.

Thanks,

Rick

Somewhere up in this thread we discussed the types of aluminum used in various years. I would think you have the same type as my 1986. Prior to 197?, the skins had a thin layer of Al-clad which is softer and shines up real nice. Our 80s don't have al-clad and so don't shine up to mirror finish.

Also, somewhere else I saw a description of why the end cones have the finish they do. Apparantly as the aluminum is bent over the subframe if is stretched and creates an orange peel finish to it. I have the same issue.

If you talk to the nuvite guys please pass along any information.
2007 Chevy Silverado 1500
2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
ckeysor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:10 PM   #163
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by musketeer View Post

Thanks,

Rick
Rick, F9 leaves very deep swirl marks, which will require many passes with a milder compound to smooth out.
I would use C or F7 or G6 and just keep at it. It will shine up nicely eventually.
Lately, I have had good results with this product and method on problematic areas:
Jestco Products Buffing Supply - Airstream Polishing Kit (Powered by CubeCart)

I don't really use their finishing technique, but rather switch to a slow speed circular buffer with g6 after the compounding is complete.
This works especially well on heavy corrosion.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:05 AM   #164
2 Rivet Member

Hi there - not having any luck trying to track down a supplier for aluminum oxide wet sandpaper up here in victoria bc. Who do you buy thru to get a cross section of grits ? - I checked out on the web and noone seems to stock 1000 grit. Thanks James
Old 07-19-2008, 03:56 AM   #165
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I buy mine at a local auto parts store, I suggest you check them for some. There must be an auto body supply house near you. Here is a site I found just by doing a goggle search that has the good stuff...Car Abrasives, SUNGOLD WET OR DRY SHEETS The sun gold brand is very good quality and it comes in many grits.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 12:35 PM   #166
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Polish Party Imminent?

Hey Todd,

How's the heavy oxide polishing been lately? Or, has it just been too fraking hot to work?

Now that I have one of my own, we should put together the Polish Party. Of course, waiting until November might be a good idea...
Old 07-28-2008, 12:39 PM   #167
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Hey, Marcus I'm dreamin' of November weather...although my tan is looking pretty good!

However, now that I've got my axles and frame, looks like I'll be doing less polishing and focusing more on the marriage of frame to shell!

None of which should stop us from putting together a polish party!

- Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 07-29-2008, 04:19 PM   #168
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
Now that I have one of my own, we should put together the Polish Party. Of course, waiting until November might be a good idea...
Marcus, post up a few photos of your new rig. You're not keeping her under wraps now are you? How's the exterior finish look? Hopefully you're not dealing with heavy oxidation or corrosion. Have you looked into polishers or polish yet?

- Captain Jack Sparrow