Old 04-07-2008, 10:53 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1961 19' Globetrotter
1959 18' "Footer"
santa cruz , California
having trouble with my cyclo technique

compounded with f7. then removed the residue. compounded with C, then removed the residue. now i am using the cyclo with C to remove the swirls. but the cyclo leaves residue that cannot be buffed out. i did a test spot with the final S grade and its pretty much the same thing. it moves the residue around but cannot be buffed out. i think my mistake is the micro fiber cloth i am using with the cyclo. i am not using the bonnets or cotton towel but micro fiber towels. i thought they would be better because they dont scratch. do you think this is my issue? my other thought is this is a residue from using mineral spirts inbetween grades of polish or maybe light traces of soap from washing the the wool??? what do you think??

one more question. if one uses the towels with a cyclo, they prevent the heads from spinning but not vibrating. is that the idea?

Old 04-07-2008, 11:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Yakima Valley , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
not an expert but have made plenty of errors. I wouldn't imagine the microfiber would do well with the f7, because you do want some courseness to the material to help mechanically remove the oxidation. I had similiar problems sometimes, and I usually attributed it to applying too much compound and it drying out on the surface before it buffed off. Sometimes had that problem when it was too cold out, and if I let it sit on the surface in direct sunlight and it dried.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:26 PM   #3
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
I think you are on the right track. You need to use the cotton wraps on the cyclo. The micofiber is for cleanup.

When you use the cyclo with the cyclowraps you start with the same grade polish of the last compound. So if you compounded with C then you start with C on the cyclo. Only use a very small amount on each head, about the size of an M&M candy. Move the cyclo quickly in every direction and keep going until the black oxidation is cleaned up with the cyclo.

You will have to change to a clean spot on the cotton cloth every 2' x 2' area cyclo'd.

Clean the area with mineral spirits and the microfiber between polish grades.
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:17 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1961 19' Globetrotter
1959 18' "Footer"
santa cruz , California
thanks. i think my mistakes are: i moved the trailer out side for better light (so i could see the swirls disappearing -or not) but maybe the nuvite had a chance to dry. 2nd is that i am using way too much nuvite -maybe i was using Peanut M&M's and 3 of them! 3rd i am trying to cover way too big of an area. and 4th is the micro fiber instead of cotton.

those microfiber towels felt so sweet and were a good price at costco, i couldnt resist. costco also has 'cotton' auto towels but does not list what percentage of cotton they are. has anyone had any experience with these towels -from costco??

last question being about the heads of the cyclo moving freely behind the wraps?? or just vibrating/orbiting not spinning -like they want to.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:40 AM   #5
Area 63 Productions
Commercial Member

1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Orange , California
Send a message via Skype™ to Area63
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrig
thanks. i think my mistakes are: i moved the trailer out side for better light (so i could see the swirls disappearing -or not) but maybe the nuvite had a chance to dry. 2nd is that i am using way too much nuvite -maybe i was using Peanut M&M's and 3 of them! 3rd i am trying to cover way too big of an area. and 4th is the micro fiber instead of cotton.

those microfiber towels felt so sweet and were a good price at costco, i couldnt resist. costco also has 'cotton' auto towels but does not list what percentage of cotton they are. has anyone had any experience with these towels -from costco??

last question being about the heads of the cyclo moving freely behind the wraps?? or just vibrating/orbiting not spinning -like they want to.
The heads of the cyclo are not spinning when you wrap them with the sweatshirt material. They just wobble randomly about.
I recommend you get the wrap from Perfect Poish. It really works well, and is laid out perfectly.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:46 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

I recommend you use sweatshirt material with the soft side out to wrap over the cyclo heads. Also read and follow these details:

Using the Cyclo Polisher
Using the Compounding Polisher

If you use the right amount of polish you will not have to do much if any cleanup between after polishing a 18"-24" square. Polishing is counter-intuitive. Normally we think that if one dab is good two is better. Polishing works the other way. Think "less is better". The same holds for speed of your compounder, slower speed is better.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:02 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
It should probably be mentioned that when using S polish you use even less than other grades - so those M&M dabs should be even more spaced than the other grades - less is really better.

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:51 AM   #8
1953 Flying Cloud

1953 21' Flying Cloud
West Sacramento , California
I'm in the process of using the cyclo with c grade. I do not use mineral spirits between each nuvite grade. the mineral spirits leaves a residue. what I found the best to remove the excess polish is corn starch and the micro towel. I just dab the towel in a small container and wipe away the excess. Hope this helps.

www.petidforme.com/105
1953 Flying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:53 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrig
costco also has 'cotton' auto towels but does not list what percentage of cotton they are. has anyone had any experience with these towels -from costco??
NO! Don't use terry cloth towels...they are much too coarse. Use the 100% cotton sweatshirt wraps and technique that Herb recommended.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:05 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
On the other hand...

I used the Costco cotton towels with good results.
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG2892.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	333.1 KB
ID:	57854  
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:12 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1961 19' Globetrotter
1959 18' "Footer"
santa cruz , California
thanks for all the input. i'm off to the shop to see if i have a more productive polishing day with the cyclo. -after i raid the baking cupboard for some cornstarch.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:56 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
I used the Costco cotton towels with good results.
Dave
Looks like you did have good results Dave...my only concern would be if the polishing compound builds up & dries out in the loops of the terry cloth it could scratch the aluminum. If you keep using lots of clean towels, it's probably okay...but the sweatshirt material has less chance of caking up.

greenrig, as you have probably noticed, you will find as many different opinions and techniques as there are polished trailers! The bottomline is, figure out something that works for you and go for it!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:07 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
greenrig, as you have probably noticed, you will find as many different opinions and techniques as there are polished trailers! The bottomline is, figure out something that works for you and go for it!

Shari
Shari brings up a good point. No matter what technique you try, you will have to experiment with things to see what gives the best result. More compound, less, etc.

Shari, I did frequently change towel positions. I rotated the towels 90 degrees, then flipped them over and did the same. That gives you 4 positions for each towel. They are cheap enough to throw away. I did wash one batch of towels but found it too much hassle.
Dave
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:43 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1961 19' Globetrotter
1959 18' "Footer"
santa cruz , California
i getting pretty good results with the terry towels and multiple change outs. i am currently using C grade nuvite but has anyone used these towels with final finish C?