Old 04-08-2008, 05:43 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I used them all the way, then just a final once over with the Costco microfiber towels.

AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:41 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1961 19' Globetrotter
1959 18' "Footer"
santa cruz , California
i made some progress today but i think where i saved money on the towels, is now driving me nuts keeping them under the cyclo heads. how do you keep your costco towels in place being that they are only about 15X18" ??

Old 04-08-2008, 09:07 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrig
compounded with f7. then removed the residue. compounded with C, then removed the residue. now i am using the cyclo with C to remove the swirls. but the cyclo leaves residue that cannot be buffed out. i did a test spot with the final S grade and its pretty much the same thing. it moves the residue around but cannot be buffed out. i think my mistake is the micro fiber cloth i am using with the cyclo. i am not using the bonnets or cotton towel but micro fiber towels. i thought they would be better because they dont scratch. do you think this is my issue? my other thought is this is a residue from using mineral spirts inbetween grades of polish or maybe light traces of soap from washing the the wool??? what do you think??

one more question. if one uses the towels with a cyclo, they prevent the heads from spinning but not vibrating. is that the idea?
Gel Glass will melt the residue away especially around the rivets.

Gel-Gloss - Camping World
Old 04-08-2008, 09:26 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
i made some progress today but i think where i saved money on the towels, is now driving me nuts keeping them under the cyclo heads. how do you keep your costco towels in place being that they are only about 15X18" ??
You needs cyclo wraps from Using the Cyclo Polisher
Go to there web site and folllow them to the tee and you will get good results.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:18 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Place them over the heads on a diagonal. Hold a corner with each hand.
Dave
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:01 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1961 19' Globetrotter
1959 18' "Footer"
santa cruz , California
thank you. so holding them diagonally would give you 2 positions per side. why didnt i think of that? i was going for 3 positions.
so the residue that i am still having issues with is more of the ghost residue that really only gets worse the longer i try to buff it out. i'm pretty sure its from the polish getting dry. it happens after i establish the small (@18X18") area with fresh polish, go side to side, then up and down, then the black starts to come up and it must be getting to dry at this point because most of it comes up but 'ghosts' are left behind. and oddly enough cornstarch or mineral spirts wont remove the ghost -only redoing the area. just faster.

how long does it take some of you to cyclo a 18x18 area from the time you put the fresh polish down to the time all the black comes up? and i dont think outside temperature is an issue. it was overcast and about 65 F.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:01 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
so the residue that i am still having issues with is more of the ghost residue that really only gets worse the longer i try to buff it out. i'm pretty sure its from the polish getting dry. it happens after i establish the small (@18X18") area with fresh polish, go side to side, then up and down, then the black starts to come up and it must be getting to dry at this point because most of it comes up but 'ghosts' are left behind. and oddly enough cornstarch or mineral spirts wont remove the ghost -only redoing the area. just faster.
We always have a spray/mist bottle handy to keep the area from drying out to much...

Be careful not to go too fast (especially compounding) or let the skin get too warm, you can go through the Alclad layer. We did in a 2"x3" area on a compartment door trying to get a deep scratch out...the more we worked it the bigger it got. It's really hard to see when polishing...but a couple of days latter it appears as a dark shadow...it's the 'less pure' aluminum that's under the Alclad and it starts to oxidize much quicker than the majority of the skin which still has the Alclad in place.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 11:33 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1961 19' Globetrotter
1959 18' "Footer"
santa cruz , California
thanks insideout. compounding is done and pretty successful at that. i dont think i wore through anywhere, even heavy compounded spots. the ghosts pop up as an after effect of cyclo-ing with C and S. plus they can be removed by going over the spot. very frustrating.