Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2005, 10:52 AM   #1
3x2x4sp389

has anyone used Gords polish?

Hi group,
My first post after joining the Forum. Have a 1982 280 TD MH and the clearcoat has turned to splochy white on the sides. I'm assuming it has disappeared on the upper surfaces since they just seem shiney. So I have an opportunity to start an exterior restoration and saw the site for Gords polish.
http://gordsaluminumpolish.com/
They have done a few Airstreams before and the pics look good - and it seems like a lot less hassle than the Nuvel/Rolite/cyclonic (sp) method.
Is it safer to leave the plastic lenses on and carefully tape them or remove and try and seal the fixture?
TIA,
Mike
3x2x4sp389 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 11:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
You are opening a topic that has been the subject of considerable debate here...polishing!

I don't have any knowledge of anyone's experience with Gords. They were on the forums here some months ago promoting it, but I never read follow-up.

From looking at their website, it looks like it's a chemical based polisher. Typically this involves using acids to etch away a layer of patina (the dull surface). The trouble is, the aluminum on our trailers has a thin layer of more reflective metal (aka, alclad). Folks get concerned that the chemical polishers are too aggressive and eat this layer away. It appears that the only reliable measure of a polish's safety is whether it meets Boeing's certification standard for use on polishing its aircraft (which are also alclad)

From my reading, the most trusted polishers for airstreams are two products, Rolite and Nuvite. These use particles to cut away microscopic layers of patina from your trailer, while still leaving the alclad in place. There's a very involved process to using these--but one thing folks seem to agree on is that (after much buffing) they can safely achieve a mirror shine.

Mary
fireflyinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 11:38 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Here is the page where Gords Polish is discussed, and at least one forum member has reported on how it works. It really seems to depend on the condition of the surface you start with as to the results you get by using it by itself. I've tried it in small amounts on my trailer, but not enough to tell me if it works any better than anything else. I have used it on some aluminum diamond plate and it works well, but again, so does Nev-R-Dull wadding polish.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 01:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
are you wanting to polish the surface to a mirror shine, or do you want to clean it up and polish for a shiny coated look? My MH is an 82 and still has good clearcoat except for a few small spots on the roof. I have succesfully sealed it and kept it up for a few years to where it is quite shiny, but not the mirror look. Good washing, sealing with a hard coat and it seems to stay nice for a long time. I use a prodcut I have mentioned before, not wanting to overly endorse it as many have their favorites but its called Liquid Glass. Others have used it on their AS and on boats. If you look at the photos of my 82 you can see how the shine stacks up.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 01:48 PM   #5
3x2x4sp389

I am hoping to get a smooth(uniform) oe brushed look - I don't have the time or youth to tackle the mirror finish. What about the black anodized(?) window frames? Is there a thread on restoring those? Mine are rough and faded.
3x2x4sp389 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 06:12 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
the window frames on mine were painted grey. I repainted them with aluminum silver. I wanted to strip them to bare aluminum but was afraid I would get the stripper on the clear coat.
Are yours painted? If so you can steel wool them and paint the color you choose. See my photo if you like of the silver look.
I also strippes the lower grey paint form the storage bins and generator cover. Polished them with the LG and sealed them. To me it looks a lot better than the grey did.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 07:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
I am the forums member who tried it. It works, but I think Southern Shine works considerably better. Gord's lacks much abrasiveness, so considerable elbow grease is required. I would recommend a mechanical buffer but the stuff is so thin that I think it would just spin off.

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote