Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2010, 02:32 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Boulder , Colorado
Hand wash VS power "car wash"

Hello.

I have a newer Safari (2006). Obviously wash & wax by hand is preferable...but I have to pay someone $250 to do my 30 footer. They're experienced and will go "with the grain"----which is all the manual says about washing the exterior.

There is a "Truck & RV Wash" by my house for $40! Guy says they use wax that Boeing uses on their aluminum aircraft and that my Airstream should be fine. It's obviously some sort of pull-through power wash application.

Any thoughts/experience? (Obviously, I don't want to trash my rig for $200...but I'm thinking a power was shouldn't hurt an 2006.)

Thx!
TommyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:45 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Kirkwood , Pennsylvania
Go for the car wash and buy a product called Envy (Waterless wax) and follow the directions and do it yourself......It is the best product I have ever used and is the easiest to use. You can buy it from the Airstream Store I polished my 2004 30' Classic and also my Ford F-350 Dually and I ordered (2) more bottles from Airstream. I washed my AS first with Blue Coral car wash/wax first just to remove any grit.... You can do the same and save yourself $200.00
Steve (Solar Stream) Loden
WBCCI # 3601
TAC # Pa. 11
Solar Stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Well, here are my thoughts on that:
The power wash could loosen any questionable caulking and wash it off then you will have a leak before long. Those guys will never notice anything missing. Not sure if your hand wash guys will either but at least there is a better chance of them spotting something especially if you ask them to look at the seams and seals.
I try to hand wash my own trailer so I can see it close up and check the caulk and seals as I go. I have, in the past found lots of stuff that way, and corrected it before it became a problem.