Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-13-2010, 10:39 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
fair oaks , California
Garden sprayer to apply Removall?

I don't own paint spraying equipment so I was wondering if anyone has tried to apply Removall or Hydorstrip with a garden sprayer. Im not sure what the consistency of either product is. I have some on back order and was wondering if this is a possiblity or if I need to just brush it on.
dmcinfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:14 PM   #2
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
use a 4" brush, hose it off

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:56 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Poland , New York
We brushed it on and pressure washed it off. It worked great and was pretty easy .
JoAnn Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:34 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
What is Removeall?
What is Hydrostrip?

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
What is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distantdrummer View Post
What is Removeall?
What is Hydrostrip?
Removeall is a (green) non nasty stripper sold by Vintage Trailer Supply.I believe Hydrostrip is the same stuff under a different name.I never could find it and VT was out at the time so I used Aircraft Stripper(autozone)It did a great job.Use gloves,a good two stage respirator for any stripping and rubber gloves.Apply with a brush a heavy coat in one direction,let it sit for 20 mins. then take a nylon brush and make circles through it to break it up then hose off with a power handle on a garden hose.This stripper will get 95% of all of it.There will be small spots that will take a second app.I then washed the whole coach down with dishwashing soap and water with an RV brush to neutralize.
bwaysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:16 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcinfo View Post
I don't own paint spraying equipment so I was wondering if anyone has tried to apply Removall or Hydorstrip with a garden sprayer. Im not sure what the consistency of either product is. I have some on back order and was wondering if this is a possiblity or if I need to just brush it on.
Over spray could be a real problem and you should probably use a respirator. I would not what that stuff in my lungs or eyes. Brushing it on will be much easier to control.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:18 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaysteve View Post
Removeall is a (green) non nasty stripper sold by Vintage Trailer Supply.I believe Hydrostrip is the same stuff under a different name.I never could find it and VT was out at the time so I used Aircraft Stripper(autozone)It did a great job.Use gloves,a good two stage respirator for any stripping and rubber gloves.Apply with a brush a heavy coat in one direction,let it sit for 20 mins. then take a nylon brush and make circles through it to break it up then hose off with a power handle on a garden hose.This stripper will get 95% of all of it.There will be small spots that will take a second app.I then washed the whole coach down with dishwashing soap and water with an RV brush to neutralize.
Hydrostrip is what I do when it gets over a hundred degrees outside!
Old 07-14-2010, 08:28 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Was told that this is the same as Removal 220, I am not affiliated in anyway.

DoradoStrip 3031 Architectural Paint Remover gal spray or brush
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:40 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hobe Sound , Florida
remove all?

Has anyone used a stripper on a unit that not only has clear coat, but painted stripes and other areas as on my 345? Would like to strip the clear coat without screwing up the paint or vinyl strips, and what does the rinse off do to the zipdee awnings? Do they need to be removed? The aluminum seems to be higher polish under the clear coat in areas that have flacked off. Thanks in advance for the experienced info!
raveson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:53 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
fair oaks , California
Anyone use Prep 240?

Here is link to the product description. Note that it can be used on aluminum surfaces and will not affect rubber. Its water based and low VOC.

http://www.ppg.com/corporate/durapre...heet_FINAL.pdf
dmcinfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:56 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
I believe you should keep it off the vinyl and paint if you are wanting to keep them.
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote