Old 07-30-2013, 09:45 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
For Jestco Polish users

I have been polishing with the grey bar. It cuts to a point, but I still see cloudy areas, and the bar has left a lot of swirls and sctratches. Do I move on to the pink bar or ? I have tried Nuvite F7 and it doesn't wipe out the swirls.

Could it be my buffer pad is overused?

Thanks all

AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
If your using a buffer pad with a rough bar...your making a bigger polish problem. The bar works well with a buffer wheel....jetsco yellow is what I like. (don't be put off by the coarse appearance) Then a sewn cotton wheel.You can come down on the grit level of the bar. Now you can come down to a wool bonnet type pad for another polish pass or a final polish to be followed with a Cyclo and Nuvite S.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:08 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
I'm curious to hear what others say about this.

Our Bubble has really bad oxidation and I bought the Jestco AS kit too. The gray bar just wasn't cutting it so DH had purchased a black bar at a car show some time ago and I tried it. It cut the oxidation, but there were noticeable scratches, and some cloudiness, but I thought the pink and possibly white (bought at a car show too) might "fine tune" the cloudiness out. I, too, didn't know if I should move on to the pink or not considering the scratches. DH, meanwhile, tried wet sanding with 1500 grit sandpaper, which took off the oxidation but used a lot of hook-and-loop papers, so he just bought 1200 grit and tried that this past weekend -- it worked better, don't know about scratches tho.

A couple of weeks ago, I just couldn't take it that we weren't getting the polishing done, so I ordered the Nuvite 9, 7 and for later with the Cyclo - the "S". The "9" was great, but it wouldn't cut the baked-in tarp from a PO, however, the wet sanding did get that out.

I guess I really didn't answer your question(s), but perhaps I offered some info for comparison. Still can't wait to hear what others have to say.

Deb
Old 07-30-2013, 10:11 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
I didn't see that Robin had posted.

So, Robin, are you saying we can use the pink rouge bar with a wool bonnet cover for a foam-type pad? (I don't know the proper terms for all of these, but hoping you know what I'm meaning.)

Deb
Old 07-30-2013, 02:42 PM   #5
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Clouds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD View Post
I have been polishing with the grey bar. It cuts to a point, but I still see cloudy areas, and the bar has left a lot of swirls and sctratches. Do I move on to the pink bar or ? I have tried Nuvite F7 and it doesn't wipe out the swirls.

Could it be my buffer pad is overused?

Thanks all
Do you mean cloudy like undercast or remaining surface oxidation? Are you raking the wheel periodically? It is possible to undercast the polish into the aluminum if the SF/min and/or application pressure are too great. I'm not sure of the abrasive grade for the Jestco gray bar, but I would imagine it to be a medium grit compound. You sure can try the next finer grit compound, such as the red or pink. If it doesn't work, change tactics. Can you post a picture of what you are up against? I know it is difficult to capture most things like cloudiness with a digital camera, but worth a shot.

There are three things that the compound(s) must do-cut, color and finish (polish). There are compounds that cut, some cut and color, while a few do all three.
Everyone has, or will find, a technique and process that works for them. The hybrid method that works for me is-
I use a DeWalt DWP-849X variable speed polisher with a grinder adapter.
First cut FORMAX Black Magic with a 10" yellow treated vented buffing wheel at 6,500 surface feet per min.
Second cut is Nuvite F7 on a wool polishing bonnet.
Third step is Cyclo with F7 using the fleece wraps from Perfect Polish
Final step is Cyclo with S also using the fleece wraps from Perfect Polish

If you would like a sample of the FORMAX Black Magic, give them a call at 800-242-2833 and they'll send you a sample bar to try.

Keep working on it!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:47 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Thanks. i use a Jestco sewn wheel, and rake it with the hand held spinner. The cloudiness is spotty and seen in some direct light. From a distance or in indirect light the skin looks shiny but you can still see the scratches.
I used 1200 grit to wet sand out a lot of filliform corrosion. So far the best shine was tool box polish on the cyclo. Might get some again. I wasted money on Gords polish it is fine for touchup only. Will try to get some pics but its tough to show the reality of it.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Old 07-30-2013, 04:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
pictures don't really show the stuff on the skin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_9984.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	358.6 KB
ID:	192075   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_9983.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	192076  

AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Old 07-30-2013, 09:09 PM   #8
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Yes, it is hard to get a pic of what you want to capture without a manual focus camera.

Is this the wheel you are using?
I've tried the spiral sewn wheels and the vented wheels work much better for me.
Is this the rake you are using?
I've found that fastening or clamping the rake to some nearly immovable object makes it much easier to get the wheel clean.
The scratches that are left from polishing with the gray bar can be removed with a finer abrasive polish like the red or pink compound.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:43 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
That is the buff wheel, but I use a hand held spinner type rake. I will move to another grade of polish and hope for the best.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Old 07-31-2013, 09:31 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I ordered the PINK bar and a softer buffing wheel.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Old 07-31-2013, 01:54 PM   #11
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD View Post
That is the buff wheel, but I use a hand held spinner type rake. I will move to another grade of polish and hope for the best.
A spur like this?
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spurhr.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	192138
That works well on wool pads when polishing with Nuvite.
I'm sure you would have better results getting the wheels clean using the rake linked above.

In the pictures of post #7 it looks like you have a good deal of pitting from filiform corrosion. Have you wet sanded it? If so what grit did you finish with? I think you could get a little better finish with an 8" treated vented buffing wheel and the gray bar.

Old 07-31-2013, 03:04 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
What I had thought was just confirmed.........my problems with polishing are operator error and/or lack of knowledge.

First, I didn't realize that I needed to "rake" the wool pads (when using Nuvite) over the "comb", which we have the same one you posted Top. We have it semi-permanently mounted on a work bench outside by where we are polishing and it is really handy -- I have been using it with the rouge bars. Can I use it with the wool pads too?

Secondly, I've not heard of an 8" treated, vented buffing wheel. We have been using 1200 and 1500 grit hook and loop for wet sanding. As Top said, it really takes the corrosion and roughness from that off as well as that burned-in tarp discoloration from a PO.

Deb
Old 07-31-2013, 03:46 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I used both Nuvite and Jestco products on my 68. I bought the Jestco products after long hours with Nuvite thinking it would be easier. It may have been a little faster on the first cut but I found Nuvite easier to get a nice looking finish on the 2nd round (don't remember the grits but one was coarse and one medium). I have not done a final polish because I just have not had the motivation after so many hours with the first two grits of Nuvite. I would offer a caution to anyone using the Jestco buffs, be very careful and don't let any spots get to hot. I have a lot of rivets that now show "dimples" around the rivets that I don't think I had before I used the Jestco. I am not 100% that was the cause but I have areas on the top that I did not compound with the Jestco and I don't have the dimpling around the rivets. Was it my fault due to bad technique-maybe. If I could do it over I would not use the Jestco products or if I did I would be very careful and not apply much pressure to the buffer and keep it moving faster than I did.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:03 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

I used the Jestco pink bar and the 8" soft buff and got spectacular results on my 92 limited, I also used the Metal Armor polish as a final, looks great and takes out the finer scratches. I also used the Grey bar and found it too greasy and only made things more difficult in the process.