Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2012, 08:48 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Scottsdale , Arizona
First polish on a 2012

Our new AS is will be 6 months old soon and we need some advice on our first polish. What products and best application information can we get? We live in AZ where it's pretty hot in August, maybe we should wait.?
BAAMbi7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
I washed mine and then coated it with NU-FiNISH. It looks great. It was like using paste wax. I don't know how it would work in the hot sun. It took me about three days and two cans of product. Wax on Wax off.

Dan
Old 06-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, there are a lot of opinions on this subject and almost as many products too, but I will start this off by saying that my Airstream has never been polished/waxed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5626RS.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	247.4 KB
ID:	161257   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5627RS.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	272.6 KB
ID:	161258  

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Are you talking about waxing/protecting you trailer?
Airstream recommends Walbernize.
I use Collenite (a very basic high carnauba no cleaner included wax) on ours as I have a long history with the product. I waxed EVERYTHING the week we bought it! I'll wax it again a couple of times a year. Don't forget to do the roof and everything up there too...
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
While at Alumapalooza I purchased some waterless cleaner/wax that Airstream sells and ran it over the trailer. I think they call it "No Wet". It is basically carnauba wax with some surfactants and a small amount of clay mixed in. It did an amazing job! I used it on the aluminum appliqué on the tailgate of my truck at the same time. The stuff is impressive!!!
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:03 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2007 Base Camp
Mesa , Arizona
Probably overkill but we did the following to our 2012:

Washed
Clayed
1 coat of Zaino Z-2
1 coat of Zaino CS

It didn't take as much time as I thought it would but then again my wife and 2 kids helped(as much as a 13 year old and 10 year old can). We washed and clayed on a Friday night and then waxed the next morning. If you do it this way then you should be fine, even in AZ.

Good luck!
TexasMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:41 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
BAAMbi7, it's supposed to be 108-113 here this week. Personally, if your Airstream isn't stored in an air conditioned garage, I'd head up to Flagstaff or the White Mountains to do this; or wait until November.

By the way, congratulations on your new Bambi!
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:06 AM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

Kool and cloudy will definitely make the job easier.

I use Griot's products, Paint Sealer, Detail Spray with Clay Bar, Spray Wax for touch-ups. Have yet to try their new Carnuba Wax.

A good place to start for washing....mop-on-a-stick. Have not been disappointed with any of their products.

Bob
Old 06-18-2012, 05:50 AM   #9
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
Wax your Airstream

JUST finished washing & polishing my 2011 Int'l. Used Liquid Glass as a polish because it really works well and is very easy to remove. I recommend it.

John S.
JDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:56 AM   #10
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
My Opinion

There is no longer lasting, easier to use product than NuFinish

It has been around more than 30 years.
It comes in either paste or liquid formulas, each working the same. I buy it from WalMart for about $7 a container. It goes on easily with a damp applicator, wipes off (scratch free) with an old (100%) cotton diaper.

I bought my(21 year old) trailer used. The clearcoat is in great shape, but was NEVER waxed. Nufinish cut through all the gunk and left a super slick finish. The mfgr recomends 2 initial applications.

I have used NuFinish on several cars (my Ferrari, and Aston Martin being my babys) from new and all have stellar paint. I trust this stuff and am very loyal to the product as it has always given me very good results.

I second the opinions from above.... get out of the heat to do the job. It can wait until the season is over!

Have Fun!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:40 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
There is no longer lasting, easier to use product than NuFinish

It has been around more than 30 years.
It comes in either paste or liquid formulas, each working the same. I buy it from WalMart for about $7 a container. It goes on easily with a damp applicator, wipes off (scratch free) with an old (100%) cotton diaper.

I bought my(21 year old) trailer used. The clearcoat is in great shape, but was NEVER waxed. Nufinish cut through all the gunk and left a super slick finish. The mfgr recomends 2 initial applications.

I have used NuFinish on several cars (my Ferrari, and Aston Martin being my babys) from new and all have stellar paint. I trust this stuff and am very loyal to the product as it has always given me very good results.

I second the opinions from above.... get out of the heat to do the job. It can wait until the season is over!

Have Fun!
Nice! Which one tows better, the Ferrari or the AM?
Rich of SCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:37 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAAMbi7 View Post
Our new AS is will be 6 months old soon and we need some advice on our first polish. What products and best application information can we get? We live in AZ where it's pretty hot in August, maybe we should wait.?
Never wait. Here's my recommendation:

1. Hook up your Airstream
2. Drive to a nice shady, cool campsite. White Mountains in NH or coast of Maine come to mind, but maybe Albuquerque or Colorado is closer.
3. Open a folding chair
4. Open a cold beer and think about your polishing strategy
5. A good strategy is never accomplished on one cold beer. Repeat step 4
6. Wax the front left quadrant
7. Go back to step 4
8. Go back to step 2
9. Repeat as necessary until waxed. Multiple coats may be necessary.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:50 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Scottsdale , Arizona
Sorry all, thanks so much for the great suggestions. Been traveling and not able to say thanks. With the hot weather here in AZ and the fact that the AS is outside, I'll definitely wait until fall or the weather gets cool -whichever comes first!
I had a note that Airstream recommends a coat of wax after 6 mos which prompted me to get ready for rub on-rub off.
I'm afraid the cold beer route would be the most fun but least productive.
Hope everyone is out on the roads having fun.
Thanks again!
BAAMbi7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:04 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Medford , Southern Oregon
Nice thread..... we don't own a Airstream yet. Need to sell the vacation home in order to exchange some funds for a home on wheels. Anyone lusting for a vacation home in Sunriver OR????? Willing to negotiate

Here in Southern Oregon, it's been raining for days. I'll take it. Soon the 108 degree weather will mess with my California roots and I'll be turning up the air conditioners.

Life is pretty darn good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAAMbi7 View Post
Sorry all, thanks so much for the great suggestions. Been traveling and not able to say thanks. With the hot weather here in AZ and the fact that the AS is outside, I'll definitely wait until fall or the weather gets cool -whichever comes first!
I had a note that Airstream recommends a coat of wax after 6 mos which prompted me to get ready for rub on-rub off.
I'm afraid the cold beer route would be the most fun but least productive.
Hope everyone is out on the roads having fun.
Thanks again!
sakthorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:41 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Walbernize is easy to use and economical. A bottle is going to give me four applications on my 19'
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:47 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Orem , Utah
Wash trailer with liquid ice car wash it's one best!

At $9 dollars jug it's worth it helps with water spotting and mild product. I have tried them all nxt wash,gold class,turtle wax,meguires red. If you want to do simple polish I think you can not go wrong with plexus plastic polish. Micro fiber towels are you friend get a bunch Costco has them $15 for big bag. Please for love of vehicles stay away from Nu finish! It is one worst products on market bar none! If you want simple wax NXT is light and perfect for new cars and trailers as well. I have never tried Zaino or jeffwerkstat many high end car buffs use this. If it's cheap stay away! Plexus runs $25 it's right product for window guards as well.
starcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:40 AM   #17
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
"Please for love of vehicles stay away from Nu finish! It is one worst products on market bar none!"

X2...snake oil.

Clean...... and any good sealer/wax is the best option, plus MICROFIBER is your friend.

Bob
Old 08-11-2012, 10:29 PM   #18
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
BruceB, I see you're using Collinite. I use the 920 cleaner and 925 wax on my boat, are you using the Fleet Paste Wax for your Airstream? Do you use a random orbital polisher?

Thanks in advance,
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote