Old 08-01-2012, 10:18 PM   #99
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Still looking killer good, c_lewis! When did you finish the original polishing again?

Old 08-02-2012, 09:00 AM   #100
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Still looking killer good, c_lewis! When did you finish the original polishing again?
I finished at the end of this past January. Touching up with the cyclo/nuvite S is a piece of cake compared to the initial polishing work. It is a lot like waxing your car.

WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 05:11 AM   #101
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Cyclo is Key?

Hello C Lewis

I read this thread with interest. I have finished my 34 polishing for this year. My last pass was with S in my rotary polisher. I have haze and blotchy areas detracting from the appearance. Maybe the lack of the Alclad layer means I won't achieve a mirror polish.

By the way, I have found that Windex will remove water spots on my trailer left by sun dried rain. I don't know about hard water spots, but it is easy to try it.

I have read about a random orbital attachment for my rotary polisher. I wonder if this attachment (looks like an eccentric coupler) would provide the same action as the Cyclo. I have never seen a Cyclo, but their website shows it cleaning fabric with soft brushes. Does the Cyclo simply rotate the heads in a back and forth motion? It doesn't rotate a full 360 degrees, or does it? Will random orbital motion do the same thing as the Cyclo?

Your Limited looks great. Mine has some hail damage, but it looks better than it did with sunburned clear coat and dull gray aluminum. I did replace the vinyl beltline stripping this summer with gloss black. I like the look better than the old, faded woodgrain vinyl that it came with back in 86. This was a big project for me as there are lots of rivets holding on both top and bottom moldings. Time consumming.

David
Old 08-04-2012, 09:15 AM   #102
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
Hello C Lewis

I read this thread with interest. I have finished my 34 polishing for this year. My last pass was with S in my rotary polisher. I have haze and blotchy areas detracting from the appearance. Maybe the lack of the Alclad layer means I won't achieve a mirror polish.

By the way, I have found that Windex will remove water spots on my trailer left by sun dried rain. I don't know about hard water spots, but it is easy to try it.

I have read about a random orbital attachment for my rotary polisher. I wonder if this attachment (looks like an eccentric coupler) would provide the same action as the Cyclo. I have never seen a Cyclo, but their website shows it cleaning fabric with soft brushes. Does the Cyclo simply rotate the heads in a back and forth motion? It doesn't rotate a full 360 degrees, or does it? Will random orbital motion do the same thing as the Cyclo?

Your Limited looks great. Mine has some hail damage, but it looks better than it did with sunburned clear coat and dull gray aluminum. I did replace the vinyl beltline stripping this summer with gloss black. I like the look better than the old, faded woodgrain vinyl that it came with back in 86. This was a big project for me as there are lots of rivets holding on both top and bottom moldings. Time consumming.

David
Thanks David!
I found (through trial and error) that the right polishing pads on the rotary polisher make a big difference. I used the hook& Loop twisted wool pads from Vintage trailer supply with good results.
During my polishing I had a few hazy spots on the curbside behind the bathroom window and on the street side behind the kitchen window at about the mid-window elevation. I went back with F7 and G6 to touch up these areas... i can still see it, but it helped clear it up a bit.
In regards to the cyclo, I am fanatical about keeping my vehicles cleaned and polished so I have several auto type 7-10" random orbital buffers for that purpose. The motion is more of a vibration while turning. I found they did not do the job well at all with the Nuvite S. I also tried the orbital polisher at various rpm's without success. I finally just broke down and bought a cyclo to finish up. It took the swirls out, but also brightened and "sharpened" the finish/reflection. (I also use the cyclo on my cars now too).
Some of the hazy spots can still be picked out, but not to the untrained eye.
I got caught by the neighbors sprinklers again and am going to have to go back to the F7/G6/S again to get it out. It is the entire streetside below the belt line. I am really not happy about it at all! I have since taken it upon myself to adjust those sprinklers myself. Unfortunately we are so close to coastal florida, all of our water comes from the floridian aquifer...very hard water with high calcium/ mineral content. it is famous for destroying any appliance that uses water from the mineral scaling and buildup. We have a fancy filtration system/ softener on the house to fix that... i ought to suggest the neighbor filter his sprinkler water! LOL! hopefully the problem is now resolved and I can move onto more important think like planning my next camping trip!

Its good to see another 34' LTD of the same vintage out there!

Casey
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
Old 08-11-2012, 11:08 PM   #103
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
C Lewis. I was just catching up with the latest posts on this thread tonight. You trailer looks fantastic in those pics you posted.
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries
TAC MD-6
AIR 4534

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:14 PM   #104
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Valparaiso , Indiana
I have finished stripping the clear coat from my '75 Sovereign and I am looking for a cleaner. Has anyone used this product? Aluminum Cleaner - Non- Toxic Aluminum Cleaner For Cleaning Bare Aluminum
Old 08-13-2012, 09:03 AM   #105
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soyboy View Post
C Lewis. I was just catching up with the latest posts on this thread tonight. You trailer looks fantastic in those pics you posted.
Thanks! It has improved the looks tremendously! It certainly turns heads in the campgrounds... It is also REALLY easy to find!
How did your 99 turn out? I saw where you had started the polish on it but have not seen the final results. It will be interesting to see how the newer units turn out
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
Old 08-13-2012, 09:08 AM   #106
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by boilermaker View Post
I have finished stripping the clear coat from my '75 Sovereign and I am looking for a cleaner. Has anyone used this product? Aluminum Cleaner - Non- Toxic Aluminum Cleaner For Cleaning Bare Aluminum
Some of those product has some acid content in them; I wonder if it would affect the polished aluminum differently that the milled/ brushed finish?

I use the meguires car soap and just wash like I do with my car. I use a chamois to dry it off, then use a leaf blower to get standing water in the seams/belt line/ crevaces, etc and then touch up with the chamois again.
I also have found that doing this at night is best, otherwise the sun dries the water before i can chamois it off and it leaves waterspots.
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
Old 08-25-2012, 03:34 PM   #107
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Thumbs up Nice work!

You've done a tremendous job, sir! Welcome to the shiny 34' club!

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote