Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2003, 10:16 AM   #281
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Talking Did you happened to see?

While traveling, one lucky couple pulling an A/S "flashed" their headlights at us..I say "lucky", because, "If they read this and, send me an PM telling me where it was they had seen us..I have a nice "gift" to send to them"..

Just a thank you for...

ciao
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mvc-393s.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	3541  
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 02:31 PM   #282
1 Rivet Member

Thanks all

Thank you everyone for the inspiration. I started polishing my Safari last fall and ran out of decent weather to finish it. Then I lost interest in it (not the AS, just getting the polisher back out!). So after reading and seeing everyone's pictures, I NEED to get back out and tackle it again!

Someone wrote that it would be embarrassing to drive your AS around only partially polished............obviously it doesn't embarrass me at all! (should I be though???)
Old 10-21-2003, 02:42 PM   #283
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Cool Let me..

SafariLori
Welcome back to the "polishing"!@!
Quote:
Someone wrote that it would be embarrassing to drive your AS around only partially polished............obviously it doesn't embarrass me at all! (should I be though???)
Perchance that was me...lol
I did end up driving mine down the hiway..Not completely done..
As I would've liked it..but, you know..? I had sooo many nice comments on it, I sooon forgot about that feeling..lol
Honestly, it's great that you were inspired to start again..I'll need that come next spring as well..It just got too cold here in NE to continue. Plus, I needed to get it back to our "winter home" spot for it..
If you have some pictures..I know we'd all love to see them...
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 10-21-2003, 11:35 PM   #284
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Thumbs up Glad to see ya back!

By all means tell us your stories!

Tell us its worth all the work

I've got 61.5 hours in now. Starting to finish up the back and move on to the front. I decided to take off work two half days on Thursday and Friday to get some serious polishing done

The daylight savings time will change this weekend and pretty much make work nights worthless for polishing

Looking forward to your tales of the road.
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 01:57 AM   #285
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Wink Thanks`

Safari Tim
Quote:
Glad to see ya back!
Thanks..it's nice to be back to the threat of colder weather, snow, etc...lol

The tales:
Numerous head twisters, as observed in my side mirror..<grins>
The one thing that kinda bothered me was the glare from the sun off the A/S, reflecting back into the eyes of the car passing me..Didn't happened too often but, still it made me wonder.
Just about everywhere we stayed and/or stopped, people had so many nice things to say about the "brand new" A/S. I was quick to point out that, it was in fact, 20 years old..The jaws dropped, I can't believe it..etc..Was just way too many nice comments..Made all the work spend worth while.
Met some really nice folks as a result..I'm sure they have a different viewpoint of A/S owners as well..
On Friday last, just thinking about the trip back to NH..I decided to visit the local GM dealer for a quick oil change..As I pulled into the service area, I noticed one of the tech looking at my approach.
After parking the Burb, I walked over to him..Asked if it was possible to have just my oil changed.He replied, "That's not all that you need. I'll show you when we get your Burb on the lift."
It turned out that I needed two new u-joints for the drive shaft.
Whew, was I thankful that it hadn't dropped off out on the hiway while towing the A/S..Cost to repair was nothing in comparison to what it could have been otherwise. Angel was watching out over me..WHEW...
Worked on the A/S for an additional 12 hrs total waxing the entire unit again..It had rained after that and, I was able to just lightly wipe off the water spots..Proves the point, at least for now, that it should keep it in good enough condition for me till next Spring.
Jump to the last day:
I pulled into a campsite for the nite just before leaving Va. It was my last chance to clean out the unit before leaving on the trip back to NH.
Unknown to me, my arrival was witness by a couple parked several lanes over behind me who were sitting outside eating dinner.
Early the next morning, after all my predeparture chores were completed, they walked over to talk with me about the A/S..<smiles>(my favored subject)
They started off by commenting on how nice it looked and, the fact that, last night while I was pulling in..the wife said to her husband.."Look, there's a brand new A/S." (bless her)
I quickly told them that, it was 20 years old and, they just couldn't believe it!~! We laught and, then explained that I had just spend many weeks polishing the unit. They were impressed at how nice it looked, etc. Even more so when I told them that, A/S are still being builted. Why is that a secret??? Someone needs to get on the ball at the Corp level..
We spended the better part of nearly an hour talking about A/S, etc..Even told them about this website for a starting point in their search for additional info on all A/S products, both used and new..
The drive home was great..No problems..Mileage was just over 20 plus without the "Silver Turtle" behind me..
BTW, just before I left the A/S..I spend some sorrowful minutes walking around talking to it..touching it..YKWIM??
Hated to leave it but~
Just one happy camper's tales..
Again, it's good to be back~!~

ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 10-22-2003, 03:49 AM   #286
qqq
4 Rivet Member

Maybe" Southern Shine" isn't so bad ...when I read about all those hours compared to the ease of SS

Hart
qqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 07:07 AM   #287
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
ease of SS

Sorry qqq there is no ease in polishing. I went the SS way because there are less steps. You don't get as good as shine and it is still hard work.

Vern what a great trip and glad to know the travel angels were with you on the u-joints. Just had mine checked, over 160,000 miles still OK...Great pictures

Hurry Tim Hurry.... the cold is on the way Sounds as if you are getting close to the end...

Now if FF could get some cool weather we would have some more pictures of the SS way

Looking forward to spring, new axels and ON THE ROAD AGAIN !!!

Garry
Old 10-22-2003, 07:17 AM   #288
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
I'm all for cooler weather! A whole week of record breaking temperatures every day being over 100. Its getting to be the end of October, for Christ's sake. Poor kids in their Halloween costumes will be sweating to the oldies

Here's a pic from a '50s themed, corporate event I was asked (and paid) to attend. This side hasn't been SS'ed yet.

FF
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	urbana.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	3548  

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 07:19 AM   #289
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Southern Shine is great -- but don't expect miracles. I'm not getting the high quality of polish that SafariTim and FlyingCloud53 are getting. I'm definitely going for a lower quality, and part of it is the fact that I'm basically making two quick passes with SS (with two different 3M pads).

The other guys are doing a much more methodical and complete approach. They go over a panel as many as 5+ times to get the perfect result. If I did that with SS, I'd spend just as much time as everyone else. And I haven't found anyone who can claim a true "8-10 hour" polish like TrailerTrash originally claimed. I expect to spend 20-25 hours on my 17 footer to get an 80% polish.

Bottom line: SS is nice but the polish you get depends on the work you put in! You can get a perfect mirror shine, low cost, or minimal effort -- pick any TWO.

-- RL

(PS: the way you get a perfect shine with minimal effort is to pay someone else to do it! )
rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 09:03 AM   #290
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Looking good!

Well I had planned on putting off the polish till we finished restoring the interrior (spring). Now that I have the body back on the frame and shinny NEW 2024 T3 AlCad rockers showing how dull the rest of the coach is and Chilie has been itching to polish and drools over this post every time a new picture gets posted, we may start in the next few weeks.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 10:18 AM   #291
qqq
4 Rivet Member

RL,

If I decide to polish I think I'll go the minimal effort way

Hart
qqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 10:58 PM   #292
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Nice comments..

Garry
Quote:
Looking forward to spring, new axels and ON THE ROAD AGAIN !!!
I'd second that~! About being on the ROAD AGAIN~!~

I've just read back thru all of the posts since I've been gone once more..I can see that the weather finally has caught up with "most" of us except for a few lucky streamers~!!
BTW, it's snowing here tonight in NH..I had not expected it to be this early~!! whew..80 to 100 degrees, you guys just don't know how fortunate you are.

SafariTim
Northern CA..would that be near Eurka>?? I visited with some friends there about 10 years ago. Found the tall RED woods to an eye popper~! Also, it seemed to rain alot.
You'er A/S is really looking fantastic~ Just be careful up there, reaching out over the top.. I'd think that you could built yourself some kinda staging platform to work around the top area from.
Be safer and, less strain on your back.
59toaster
I didn't realize that, you've undertaken the floor replacement/ shell off frame route.. WOW, I'm impressed..And, now the polishing as well..That's gonna be one fine unit by the time you're done..(if ever..lol)
rluhr
Don't forget to plan a side trip thru NH, on your way to FL..I'd like to meet up with you somewhere inbetween to look over your unit..That is, if you'd still like to get together for that purpose..BTW, how was the Rally in Western Mass?
You said:
Quote:
And I haven't found anyone who can claim a true "8-10 hour" polish like TrailerTrash originally claimed.
I might add this:
It's all about each individual and, how much effort you want to put into it. We can all learn from each other, as we have been doing. That to me, is an example of just who we are as a group of people that just happen to love/enjoy their A/S.
Keep safe in all you do..
ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 10-23-2003, 09:23 AM   #293
1 Rivet Member

Safari Tim:
How did you remove your clearance lights on the back of your AS? How do you put them back? I'm a little nervous about removing anything from the outside. Had to replace a tail light (loose horses and parked AS doesn't mix) and that was a huge pain.
Old 10-23-2003, 09:35 AM   #294
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by flyfshr
I'm all for cooler weather! A whole week of record breaking temperatures every day being over 100. Its getting to be the end of October, for Christ's sake. Poor kids in their Halloween costumes will be sweating to the oldies

Here's a pic from a '50s themed, corporate event I was asked (and paid) to attend. This side hasn't been SS'ed yet.

FF
Beats the Parka I wore many times as a kid in Detroit while trick or treating!
Old 10-23-2003, 09:44 AM   #295
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Re: Nice comments..

Quote:
Originally posted by 53FlyingCloud
[B]Garry

59toaster
I didn't realize that, you've undertaken the floor replacement/ shell off frame route.. WOW, I'm impressed..And, now the polishing as well..That's gonna be one fine unit by the time you're done..(if ever..lol)
I think mom dropped me on my head as a child. I aint right.

It's been a long time consuming undertaking but past the really tough part now and seeing the fruits of our labor. Our coach belonged to Chilie's dad since 1980. It's as much a labor of love as anything. Something to remember her dad and enjoy with our kids. Even with all the time and effore we have to put into it it's been enjoyable.

Not so sure our neighbors have enjoyed it though. That thing was all over our front yard for 3.5 weeks. It just did get moved back into the drive last night.
Old 10-23-2003, 11:37 AM   #296
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Lightbulb Clearance lights..

SafariLori
I realize that, your question was directed to" Tim".
Quote:
How did you remove your clearance lights on the back of your AS?
If I may share the method I used, then..Tim can share his as well.

The clearance lights that, I changed out were the ones on the lower level..
  • 1.I pop'd the len off the base unit.
    2.Remove the light bulb
    3.Remove the screws holding the base to the skin.
    4.The wire, which goes inside of the unit, can be pulled gently out.
    (providing that this hasn't been cut in the past, you should have plenty)
    5.To reverse the process, you need to attached the wire to the connection on the new base unit. Before you push the wire back in, you'll need some of sealer gook to close the hole up. Look for Vulkum to squeeze into the hole.
    6.Re-install the screws.(apply some gook to the threads)
    7.Re-install the light bulbs.
    8.Re-attach the len cover and, check for proper operation.
Pretty much it. BTW, now would be the time to check with garry about the LED side clearance lights. I believe he bought a mess of them to replace on his unit..
Hope this helps somewhat.
ciao

EDIT: Sorry, Tim pointed out my error..
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 10-23-2003, 11:44 AM   #297
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Thumbs up You guys see the number of views!

Boy this thread must be the all time most poplular

53FlyingCloud
I'm closer to Sacramento than Eureka. I'll becarefull on the top. I got to get a good polished picture of the top so Garry will show me his

SafariLori
I see 53 answered most of it. That's the basic procedure. As long as you don't have your trailer hooked to a tow vehicle, you don't have to worry about power on the wiring. BTW, I was the one who just bought the LED markers. They are very cool

Should get some good headway today hopefully. I am going home in a couple of hours to put some serious polishing time in. Going to start the front, even though the back is not completed because I am borrowing a tall ladder I may have to return soon.

Maybe have some new pictures tonight.
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 12:15 PM   #298
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Fantastic~

Safari Tim
Quote:
Boy this thread must be the all time most poplular
Incredible~!~
It's due to your efforts in sharing the "art" of polishing..

ciao

53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 10-23-2003, 04:38 PM   #299
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
paint

53 Flying Cloud;
I had asked about the paint you used on the tongue and p-tanks.
What brand & color.
I have to paint steps and tongue. Looked as if you found a good match.
Old 10-23-2003, 05:14 PM   #300
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Red face Oops`

Garry
Quote:
I had asked about the paint you used on the tongue and p-tanks.
First, let me say how sorry I am for overlooking that question..
Thanks for your nice comment, as well..
The paint was gathered from the paint shelves at Wal Mart..I used the RustOleum brand..Other then that, I threw the old cans away. Look for a flat, dull silver for the tanks. On the tongue's color, I just eyeballed it..
If you're not in a big hurry, give me a few days and, the next time I visit Wally's World, I'll get the numbers for you..
Thanks again..
ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit