With the # of views this thread has had I guess someone would like to know the cost.
1. Harbor Frt buffer part # 46507 $29 (on sale reg $59).
2. 3M buffer pads 2 ea 5701 $46, 2ea 5705 $52, extension 5710 $7. Could have done it with 1 each pad (maybe) 2 is better.
3. Southern Shine 2 bottles ( need 3 ). $17 includes shipping.
4. 1 gal Car Bright Black Stuff (compound) $18
5. Sand Paper 600/ 1200/ 2000 $24
6. Aircraft Stripper 2 gal $34 2 cans spray stripper $10.
7. Palm Sander $29, Found hand sanding is better !!
8. Craftsman 6" polisher same size as a palm sander and good for tight spots. $14 (on sale)
9. Cyclo polisher (used) $40 used very little.
10. Wax and other polishers to test $12
11. Sweat shirts $1 each (thrift store) $5
12 Mineral Spirts 1 pint $5
Do the math and it can be done for around $300.
Why do it at all ?
A/S was in poor condition and something had to be done. Had a pro estimate stripping & polishing $3100.
I would recommend a pro if you can afford it I couldn't and had other things that were needed more (axles)
Once stripped and waxed it will have to be rewaxed twice or more times a year or you will be in worse shape than the poor clear coat you started with.
It is hard work even to get less than a pro's results.