Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2003, 10:54 PM   #241
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Thanks for the info Chuck. Here's a 640 x 480 image saved in a quality rating of 3. We'll see how this goes.

FF
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	post.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	3429  

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 10:57 PM   #242
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
WOW ! Tried it twice last night, didn't work. Only difference tonight was saving in the quality rating as a 3 instead of 4. Thanks again. Now I can post like the big boys.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 10-08-2003, 04:29 PM   #243
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Rivet No problem

Hello fellow polishers...

Well, another long hard day..Temp was over 70 and, the sun was bright all day long..In a sense made for some work around but, I was up at 630 am...Started working just before 730 am till 5 pm..
I spend the first three hours "hand compounding the front upper panels..So much crud to remove, I found it to be more effective doing it by hand..
Finished that just in time for the sun to move around my tree shade.
I, then, switched to the rear of the A/S to finis the last one on the rear. Caught up on some "little trim" cleaning jobs..
Man, am I poooped~!
Showered, ate dinner and, now it's time to hit the sack..
How's everyones project coming along???
Pictures anyone?
flyfshr

Nice pictures~!
If I may say so..I'd cut some of those tree branches away from your A/S ...(If it were mine, trust me..scratche marks are a real BEAR to remove.. )

ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 04:53 PM   #244
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Second that`!

rluhr: Welcome to the shine'er...lol

Seeing that you're in VT..We should get together sometime and, go over your options..I'd be only too happy to lend a hand. (Ooops, I meant to say a word of advice...lol)
I've paid my dues (for this year) in the shinning aspect..
PM me or whatever works best for you..
ciao
53FC..
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 10-08-2003, 06:58 PM   #245
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Thanks for the offer!

I'll get in touch via PM, but I wanted to say publicly how GRATEFUL I am that fellow "Polishum Bauxitis" sufferers are willing to lend a hand. I am encouraged despite the many nay-sayers among my friends and family ("why would you want to do all that work?")

-- RL
rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 07:19 PM   #246
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Thumbs up Looking good

53 LOOKING GOOD

What kind, brand, type, color paint ?? I need to do the a-frame and the SOB water heater door.
Don't know how you are putting in the long days guess it just goes to show what a yonger eager beaver can do.
You have any problems around the A/S logo ?? That got to my fingers, they hurt just thinking about it

rulhr I did post a response to your shine problem using SS. Just to let you know my shine looks a LOT better in the shade than direct sun.

Guess Flyfisher gets another point for posting good looking pictures.

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 09:49 PM   #247
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
I'll take all of the points I can get, thanks Garry. In actuality, those tree branches are 3 to 4 feet away from the trailer or they would have been gone a long time ago

More SS on the way as I went through 3 bottles in the area you see on the streetside. There was some type of coating down at the bottom that was a real bear to remove. Probably tree sap or something like it judging by the way it appeared on the surface, vertical streaks mostly. That really used up the SS but eventually came off. I know that originally, the '59s didn't get clear-coated so doubt that is what it was and it was only on the lower portion. If I run into another area with this, I'll photograph it and get your opinions.

Sure would be easier to get more polishing done if I could work 2 days a week and the weekends were 5 days long

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 10-08-2003, 10:36 PM   #248
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
40.5 hours and counting....

Slight update....

Just started cycloing the street side. Very hard work.

I don't know if I can get the finish the way I would like. I went over the whole thing with F7 and the swirls are still quite present.

Looks like I will have to go over it many many times. My heart is really not in it

Oh well.... just have to tackle smaller areas at a time....

53... how is your cycloing going?...
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 04:44 PM   #249
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Okay ...

This is gonna be short for me...from

I worked all day from 7 30 am till 5 55pm..
Didn't get as much done as I wanted but..
I believe the pictures speaks for me..
I read everyone..Will comment later..Just tired..
I will say this; Garry, those darn letters~!~ You can see for yourself in the picture...lmao
This one is of the front, starting out early this morning..
ciao
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mvc-373s.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	3446  
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 10-09-2003, 04:48 PM   #250
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Talking This will do:

This is of the rear end..The center keystone section is brand new, as of last year..I will NOT be doing that..But, you can see the difference between the other two on each side...?
ciao
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mvc-374s.jpg
Views:	703
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	3447  
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 10-09-2003, 04:49 PM   #251
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Rivet Another view..from the front..

It's been a long hard job..I don't know if I 'll ever be done..~!~ lol
In this picture, I have a small section just over the door top to finis..I will have to remove the light "housing" to make this job easier..
ciao
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mvc-376s.jpg
Views:	673
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	3448  
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 10-09-2003, 04:51 PM   #252
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Talking I hope you're not tired..

Okay, I promise this is "it for now"...lol
I have just the "center top section" to do in this picture..
ciao
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mvc-375s.jpg
Views:	710
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	3449  
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 10-10-2003, 07:42 AM   #253
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Lightbulb Suggestion

Safari Tim
Quote:
53... how is your cycloing going?...
Actually, I have not done much "Cyclo'in" due to the time constraints that I'm running against..
1. I may have to move out of the spot I'm currently using..
2. I need to move the unit back to Va Beach, Va., for the winter.
3. At this point, I've decided that..What ever I do now, will just make my job easier come next Spring as I start into this again..
4. My game plan, for now, is to get it ready for travel...I'll wax it up real good for the winter months..Then, attack it again in steps..

I know this sounds like a lot of unnecessary work..
It's the "learning curve" price that, I'm willing to pay for the shine..

I wanted to tell you about a test I performed last night..
I know we've all talked about how our units look in the "shade versa the direct sunlight..Well, last night I went out with this bright LED flashlight WOW..You can really see "everything" on the surface of the skin..What looks nearly perfect otherwise, shows up quite differently under the glare of the blue LED flashlight..Try it and, let me know what you think..
This was going to be my last day to work on the unit as I have to work 12 hrs tonight and tomorrow night..It's so foggy out that, the moisture level is actually collecting on the surface of the A/S..Grrrrr (Making it nearly impossible to attempt continuing the polishing progress).

Keep up the good work..
BTW, after working for so long and, all those hours..My arms don't seem to wearout nearly as quickly as when I first started...lol...Move over Arnold...lol

ciao
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mvc-372s.jpg
Views:	647
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	3451  
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 10-10-2003, 08:27 AM   #254
Rivet Master

Thumbs up I'm impressed!

Vern,

WOW!!! Excellent job!

Hat's off to you, Tim & Garry!!
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 02:43 PM   #255
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Yes, I second that

John
Quote:
I'm impressed!
I'm also, John..
The guys on here that have undertaken the task of polishing their units deserve "KUDOS"..~!
Thanks for your comments..

ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 10-10-2003, 03:11 PM   #256
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Thumbs up Looking Good....

Great job Vern...

So your not cycloing much lately? Have you decided just to compound for now due to your time constraints?

I have found that I am having another problem with my trailer. I talked with Tom at perfectpolish.com and he indicates that after you compound with F7, once over with the cyclo and F7 should remove the swirls quite easily.

Well.... of course that is not the case with me. I must have something else going on. I have cyclo'd the door for example about 4 times and still have nice compound swirls present. I also went over the entire street side and still have swirls. Tom says this should not be the case. What is your experience?

I still have more compounding to do of course just wanted to get some sections complete with wax but it looks like I have to figure out whats going on.

Back is out big time now so what ever I can do will be slowwww going

Keep up the posts and pictures everyone, it sure helps motivate!
Old 10-10-2003, 03:49 PM   #257
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Everyones looking good

Vern looking good, I have the same thing about the learning curve and knew I would not get 100% satisfaction 1st go round. However; looking at your pictures and mine I suspect I will have more redo than you will come spring. I will "not" go look at it with a bright light in the dark, I will make sure when I do look I will be on the shade side heheheh.

Tim I have no experience with the Nuvite but wonder if you have tried the SS as a compound? If not it's worth a shot. SS also works good as a second step after you have compounded but need a soft pad on the drill. I stoped using the clyco it was just not doing what I had expected and was taking longer than the Harbor freight buffer. The Cyclo did leave swirls unless I shined very small areas and changed the polish area on the cloth every few min.

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 06:43 PM   #258
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Cool My thoughts...

Safari Tim, Garry & other fellow "polishers"

Quote:
Great job Vern...
First, coming from you..that means alot..I know that you're doing an "Awesome Job" as well..I feel for you and, the back problems.
For several days in a row, I was experiencing back burning sensations..I'm sure it's not the same as your but..It makes me aware of that issue..

Quote:
So your not cycloing much lately? Have you decided just to compound for now due to your time constraints?
Second, Yes, that's correct. To be truthful with you..I'm finding that..I can get an almost perfect looking results just using the 1/2 inch drill with the wool bonnets. The swirls are there, to be honest. Those will be dealt with later..It was the "depth" of the finish that I've decided was more of an important goal for me.
Later, as time permits, I'll make trips down to the Va Beach location and, continue my polishing efforts.
To be perfectly honest with you, as I've stepped back to look over the previous areas..I can see where I need to hit it again to smooth out the surface to get that depth.
I know when I say "crud buildup, you know (from your own experiences) what I'm referring to. This is the main issues for me at this time. I'll spend whatever it takes to get to that base and, go from there to achieve the "perfect polish"..If there is ever such a thing..lmao..

Quote:
I have found that I am having another problem with my trailer. I talked with Tom at perfectpolish.com and he indicates that after you compound with F7, once over with the cyclo and F7 should remove the swirls quite easily.
Thirdly, I'm gonna be quite candid with you..Don't be afraid to try different combinations..By that, What I'm trying to say is..F7 is an excellent compound but..for instance..
Let me just say this..I was getting rather disappointing results with the compounding tool/wool pad on some of the upper most area that had the worst crud buildup..It just seemed nothing was working..I know now, from trial and error what works for me. It may or may not work for you.
Here's what I've done.
1. On the surface that was seemingly impossible to clear up..I'd just stop and, get a small piece of rag then, put a few dabs of compound on that area..Have a real hard go at hand compounding it. After it got to the point where I just couldn't move the polishing compound around any more..Then, I grab a clean soft cloth and wipe it off..Might have to do that several times..By the time I had done that on one whole panel section, I was then ready to switch back to using the 1/2 drill..Most times, I found it worked just perfectly using the 'C' grade polishing compound..It's really important to remember that the use of the variable speed 1/2 drill should be as slow as possible..Extremely slow..in fact. Work it around up and down, then sideways thru that polishing compound as it darkens..(Watch it start to clear thing up for you..trust me it will) Just when you think the polishing compound is starting to stiffen up..Hit the drill at hi speed and, move it around quickly..Watch it shine like crazy..
If this doesn't work for you.."Send me a plane ticket and, I'll be only to happy to show you.." <grins>
Give it a try...Remember this, always be welling to try whatever method it takes to get down to the depth that you want. Don't get too involved in doing this using just a certain step..Sure, there's a reason for having "steps"..One of the main ones is to go from a coarse to a finer grade of polishing ..That should always be your goal..but, in between, do whatever it takes to get there..
The one thing, I've read and, seen talked about so much here was the use of "sandpaper"..That is something I have stayed away from completely~! I'm not saying that there's not a place for it but..From what you've said..the results have been somewhat disappointing ..Unless you understand completely the proper tech to clear those up..Why just do it? I have not yet seen anything, so far, that I could not clear up by using good old fashion "elbow grease"..Maybe I've been lucky so far..??
Anyway...after tomorrow..I'll be gone for a week to 10 days on the road..
You guys keep posting, I'll have my laptop with me and, try as might to check in on how you're doing.
Have a safe weekend and, remember..
"If you see a Airstream heading SOUTH..that shines like crazy..WAVE, IT'S ME." LMAO
ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 10-11-2003, 10:54 AM   #259
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Lightbulb Thanks for the ideas

Thanks Garry and Vern for the ideas. I'm getting very good results now with the compounder.

My main issue now is the the cyclo and getting the compounding swirls out. I'll just have to experiment some more as you say. I may even have to recompound with C to help.

Got out this morning and tried to get a couple of hours in but the polish just smeared instead of cut. I did nothing different. But the outside temp was about 52F.

I think that is too cold to polish. Its the only thing different.

Also, Vern, I used the mothers wax on my truck. That sutff goes on great. (read, easy to wipe off). I just hope it holds up well, never used it before. But I tried turtle wax in the past on my vehicles and it was very difficult to wipe off and kept me from doing it like I should.

Have a good trip.

Look forward to everyone's posts!
Old 10-11-2003, 07:42 PM   #260
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Suggestion

Tim..
Quote:
My main issue now is the the cyclo and getting the compounding swirls out. I'll just have to experiment some more as you say. I may even have to recompound with C to help.
Of course, the differences in our unit's condition may account for the results. In all candor, from the pictures I've seen of your polishing efforts..I'm somewhat mystified as to why you're not getting the desired results from the use of the Cyclo. All things being equal, from the looks of your pictures, I'd swear that, you'd be getting excellent results with little efforts.

The only advice I can offer you is not to let it get you down, don't be afraid to try something 'new'.. Try not to get "bogged down", keep an open mind approach to the task. It's what I do..If I find something isn't giving me the desired results, I'll switch to another method or, try a different compound. I've even switched polishing compound (I have a pound of Rolite polishing compound on hand, just in case) in certain instances with excellent results..
Every once in a while, I'll be working on a certain area and, shout EURKA~! I can see the nicest example of what we're all striving for.."Perfect Polish". It gives me hope that, come next year, I'll be better able to achive that, as an more uniform result.
I need to get out of here as I've got to get my plans in order the upcoming trip tomorrow..So much to do, in so little time..
The great news is, the "SilverTurtle" is ready to show her stuff..lol
Thanks to all for all the well wishes for the trip and, I'm looking forward to reading up on your progress reports in due time..
This is the SilverTurtle, in her former attires...lol
See ya~!~
ciao
btw, I worked an additional 4.5 hrs this morning on the A/S, after working 12 hrs at work last night..Finis'd up the top section, etc..She's ready to hit the road..And, I'm one tired puppy..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	silver turtle union star mo[1].jpg
Views:	567
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	3465  
NEU #64
New England Unit