Old 09-26-2003, 08:05 PM   #155
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
white specs

Tim I have seen the same thing. Thought it was clear coat ?? Don't really know but hand sanding with 1200 got rid of it. Of course you have to recompound to get the scratches out. The black stuff I'm using with the course pad makes the scratches go away but before the sanding would not make the flakes go away. If what I saw is the same thing you can only see it looking head on. Problem is I thought I was thru with that panel and had to start over. I can't aford to do that very often only have 3/4 of bottle of the SS left and I have tried 3 other types of polish and nothing else comes close to SS.
The area I restripped this morning came out real good. That was the third stripping on that pannel and I have another one just like it I will have to restrip. I am now one half (1/2) way thru

Looked at a Cannon ZR50mx today. camcorder with an sd card for taking photo's. Now looking for the best price. one on e-bay but used. Googel found a site showing $414 new, best buy at $545 and at wally world it's $799.
My arms, legs, back, knees , elbows and eye lids are not getting used to the hard work required. Have to start by 7AM and be thru by 10:00 to 10:30 to advoid the sun (and heat) on one side. The other side is in the shade all the time.

Garry

Old 09-26-2003, 09:36 PM   #156
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Thumbs down Very disapointing day today

This white speck thing is really getting me down.

I take the compounder to a new area with G6, F7, or C it does not matter. After going over it the white specs appear.

Tonights area has the most I've seen. I went over one area 4 times up/down left/right, did not help.

So I decided to strip it. No difference.

I was told its not pitting because that looks black because of the polish residue. I know it's not clearcoat because I tried stripping it and I cannot feel it.

It is some ugly corrossion. Some have said to try F7 because G6 breaks down too fast. Others say G6. Tried all...

Seems nothing works. I may have to try the sandpaper. I was really looking forward to getting one side done, but I cannot keep going until I find a sure fire way to beat the specks

Already I would have to just about do the all the lower half of the side again if I can figure it out.

24 hours.....

Argh....

Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 11:59 PM   #157
3 Rivet Member

Go with the sandpaper, you will not do any damage. Start with 1200, then compound it to see what it looks like. You might need to go a little more course. When sanding an area within a section, make sure your stokes with the sandpaper are consistent. You don't want to make a pass or two wider than the area that you are working on, or you will have scraches showing. If you are sanding an entire section then you don't need to worry about it. Hope that makes sense.

It's still 100+ here in the afternoons and I'm busy in the mornings. Hopefully I will get going soon and join your support group. Looking great!
Old 09-27-2003, 08:25 AM   #158
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Time out

Tim my worst area was the front lower panels (on both sides of propane tanks) where road stuff could hit while being towed but also have it in other places. In some cases I have had to just move on or I will run out of time. I know I will have some touch up to do down the road.
Just finished repairing the AC. Compressor fan wouldn't run another fourm member in WA sent me the start capactor from his old one from a swap out.
No time for fun today. Have to do guy stuff. Hope I don't have to spend hrs getting the tractor started.

Don't get to discouraged, what you have done looks great after all we are doing this for just for the fun aren't we

Garry
Old 09-27-2003, 09:53 AM   #159
3 Rivet Member

The front of mine was bad too. A lot of little pits. I sanded a small area it compounded it out. It worked well. What I should do but I don't know if I had the guts to so is, 1200 sand the whole trailer. I have those white specks on most of the trailer. That would be a tough pill to swallow since I have already compounded the whole thing 1 time.

I'm a Farmer. Garry, where are you headed with the tractor?
Old 09-27-2003, 11:48 AM   #160
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Question Grrrr, will it ever?

This hasn't been a good weekend`
Seems like everytime I turn around, it rains or drizzle just enough to...
I feel the different setbacks will turn around for all of us..
Thanks to each one for, sharing what you've discovered works..
The "wx" for Mon thru Wen, looks very promising~!~
ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 11:56 AM   #161
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
sanding

TBKP: We live in OK but have a small house on 40 acres we bought for retirement in MS close to wife's family. Have about 18 acres that has to be bush hoged, ( used to be in soy bean and cotton) the rest hard wood. Can't have cattle to keep the weeds down since we don't stay here and the wife's family no longer farms. I did spend my first 6 years on a dairy farm in MA. But that's another story. Farming today is no longer what it used to be....

Tim; Since I have some places (actually several) I am not satisfied with I plan to keep on going to completion knowing I will have to go back later and redo a panel here and there. I know now what to look for now and have sanding down as just another step in the process when I find a place that requires it. Only someone that has done this would even know there are flaws. I can live with that, for now. Besides my A/S lives outside uncovered and will require more attention now with no clear coat.

Garry
Old 09-27-2003, 12:45 PM   #162
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Thumbs up Say bye bye to the white specks

Good new is I figured it out. Bad news is, its going to be a lot more work.

Last night I spent re-reading in great detail two web sites. www.perfectpolish.com and http://globetrotter64.home.att.net/complete.htm .

What I have is the dreaded Filiform corrosion. You can see a picture of it at the Manning website .

So new techniques for new problems. I read over and over again the page on Using the compound polisher . What I learned was I was using too much polish and needed to over an area many many times.

G6 breaks down too quickly to fight this. F7 holds its cutting power throught the procedure.

So, what works is using F7 in very small amounts. Only working 12" x 12" area. Move the polisher slowly about 1inch/second. No extra pressure is needed, just whatever is comfortable and reasonable. Clean the bonnet with the spur tool. Add small amounts of polish and hit it again. Takes about 10 passes over an area to fully get rid of it.

I will try and take some pictures later. I did get my door done and the area immediatly to the right. Have not cyclo'ed it yet but I can see a big difference with the specks gone.

This is going to be a much bigger job than I have ever imagined because now that I know what to look for, it's all over my trailer

If your read carefully over the perfect polish site I gave, it talks about sanding and really recommends against it because of the way it finishes in the sunlight. Good reading...

Good luck. Hope you guys don't run into this on yours
Old 09-27-2003, 01:20 PM   #163
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Thanks~

Safari Tim

Thanks for the reminder~ I also went back to reread the info..
I found it most helpful to do that..You know?
I think sometimes we (meaning me/I) get so wrapped up in what we're doing that, I lose sight of what's really the "procedure" to use. They certainly know their stuff~!~
The WX is still yuckie here and, I've just about given up on it, being that it's this late in the day..
ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 09-27-2003, 05:18 PM   #164
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up I couldn't help it..

As the day was winding down..I grabbed the keys and, went to get my "polish FIX"...lol

Worked for abt 2hr till it got too dark to tell what was happening..
Okay, that's dedication~!~
Finis up lower side panel that I had stopped on when I ran out of supplies. Later I started on the other one above it..GETTING there..
This picture is of the one that, I'm ready to shine with S..
ciao
Vern
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mvc-314s.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	3279  
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 09-27-2003, 07:09 PM   #165
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Need to take some more with the flash off.

Garry
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dsc00546.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	3281  
Old 09-28-2003, 01:11 AM   #166
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Thumbs up Cool Pictures!!

Looking good Garry.

Keep it up!
Old 09-28-2003, 07:55 AM   #167
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Fantastic..

I agree Safari Tim...Garry, you're on a roll..`!~

Let's see some more...of those white spots and, how you 'erased' them..
Garry, question:
I didn't know you folks had TREES in OK....lol

Update: From NH..
More rain today..then, afterwards...Sun shine~!~
I really got to push to make up for the lost time..
Here's a few taken this morning...This is one that I worked on late yesterday evening..It's about ready for the Cyclo polisher with S.
I'll have to wait and see what affects the rain has on the finis..

ciao
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mvc-335s.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	3289  
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 09-28-2003, 10:33 AM   #168
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Hmmm I didn't know they had a Mytrle Beach in NH hehehe
Here is another one. Will have a few more later today. I'm suffering withdrawal No polishing yesterday due to other non important things and can't polish today.
This is my problem panel. you can see it is not up to the shine around the windows and that is just striped !! This panel has been redone three times from scratch
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dsc00551.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	3290