Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-11-2006, 06:58 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Birmingham , Alabama
DAY THREE.. if you're counting

well its the end of day three.. sorta. you can find the other days under an old thread..

thanks to those who relished the fact that i was doing this for my parents... i jusy hope they dont sell the airstream when the house is finished. my 2.5 year old son is crazy over it and cant wait to sleep in it.

well yesterday we finished the stripping. it was a 12 hour project but we finished. i sincerely believe that buffing is an easier job. we made it about 3/4 of the way around the trailer. it's so darn pretty! the finish it gleaming. the only drawback to such a shiny thing is that you really do start to look at your reflection in the metal and by the end of the day you begin to wonder if your camper is trying to kill you! i also got the new solardomes installed today. wasn't a bad job actually. you do have to drill the replacements from inland but they look and function very well! the carpet was installed this morning. glued it right down over the old tile and it is remarkable the difference 160 bucks labor and 200 for carpet makes. i used a commercial grade dirt colored mohawk. very low pile glue down stuff. front to back including the bathroom. i have ordered a funny little sign asking the guys to aim, please... or sit down! finished the painting of yellow-ed end caps, window moulding and other various old discolored plastic. i got a little high off the fumes so the job wasn't all bad. downright funny for a few mintues. then my head started hurting and i fell down trying to get out. i've decided that it really wasn't worth it and that nancy reagan was right... just say no! i also got the new light covers put in the bath and the three down the hall installed. my teeth were instantly whiter! the others were so yellow-ed. (not my teeth but the covers)

i'm really excited that the sofa bed will be re-installed tomorrow. i think i am on track for a friday debut. we plan to haul it to reliance TN and park her by the hiwassee river for the weekend.

before we polished her i thought about a name like gert or ethel. now she is so shiny im thinking about something a little more racy like super shiny shirley or queen of the road esther. what do you guys think??

oh.. one more tidbit.. paint stripper will eat your fingernails slap off. so be careful and wear gloves like the can says. big gloves.
gregcomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 08:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Whew! I cannot imagine getting this much done so quickly. I think if we had a ratio : work-to-time contest on the forum, you'd win! It's sounding glamorous: maybe Hedy (LaMarr) or ZaaZaa. . .
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 08:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
"Gentlemen"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregcomer
the carpet was installed this morning. glued it right down over the old tile and it is remarkable the difference 160 bucks labor and 200 for carpet makes. i used a commercial grade dirt colored mohawk. very low pile glue down stuff. front to back including the bathroom. i have ordered a funny little sign asking the guys to aim, please... or sit down!
My very favorite was a very dainty cross stitched sampler that said:

"Gentlemen, please stand closer...
it's not as long as you think."

Paula
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 10:25 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
madera , California
Awesome gregcomer hope Jr has a great time this weekend.
Thanks for headsup on poor air circulation... hope your OK to teach me more.

Why didn't you do linoleum in bathroom if you already knew male visitors would be such poor shots in your area...was this transition not feasable? Moisture barriers and such?
(Or was the wall hanging cuter?jk)
rolwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 06:57 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Birmingham , Alabama
carpet was just easier i guess..
gregcomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 10:36 AM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I like shirley, or possibly even Francine.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 10:21 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
Sooooo, what happened; I have subscribed, with MAJOR suspense!!!
sequoiacoast is offline   Reply With Quote