Old 08-19-2004, 11:25 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Cyclo Polishing Question

This is going to sound a little dumb, but I can't find the answer anywhere.

Which heads, bonnets, buff pads, etc do you use when polishing for that mirror effect?

I have just received the cyclo I bought off ebay and it came with 2 wool like heads on it. I have reviewed the perfect polish website and while they cover almost every detail this is one they have not covered.
I know that you use that large polishing cloth so the head never actually comes directly in contact with the metal, but they do sell all these different heads for the machine and I would really like to know what everyone else has done here.

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 12:33 AM   #2
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
John,

When using the cyclowraps from pefectpolish they recommed the following:

The Cyclo polisher is fitted with our Black Foam polishing pads which are covered in the Navy-colored Spandex bonnet covers that help keep the pads clean. This is the standard polishing setup.

This is what you use under the wraps.

I just started with the cyclo again tonight myself. Small world

I was about the start a thread asking for cyclo techniques.

Maybe I can partialy hijack your thread

1. How much area at a time do you do with the cyclo before changing the wrap location?

2. How quickly do you move the cyclo, ie. 1 inch per second or what?

3. How hard do you press down on the heads? Just the weight of the machine or lightly, hard or what?

Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 01:25 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Good question~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari Tim
John,
When using the cyclowraps from pefectpolish they recommed the following:
The Cyclo polisher is fitted with our Black Foam polishing pads which are covered in the Navy-colored Spandex bonnet covers that help keep the pads clean. This is the standard polishing setup.
This is what you use under the wraps.

I just started with the cyclo again tonight myself. Small world

I was about the start a thread asking for cyclo techniques.

Maybe I can partialy hijack your thread

1. How much area at a time do you do with the cyclo before changing the wrap location?

2. How quickly do you move the cyclo, ie. 1 inch per second or what?

3. How hard do you press down on the heads? Just the weight of the machine or lightly, hard or what?
Safari Tim,
  • 1. Assuming that you are using the finest grade of polish (S grade) and, putting just a dab of polish (Enough to do about a 2 sq ft area. I wouldn't try to do more than this). The wrap should then be changed over to a new clean surface when it completely black and, the surface area has the mirror polished result. (Use a fresh clean section of cloth when starting to polish a new sectional area.)

2. Starting out, use the movement of the cyclo to spread the polish dabs to cover your intended area of polish. I'd say this is something that you just develop a "feel" for, as you're looking for that mirror polish result. You want to be moving the cyclo to "buff" the surface for this result. Depending on the surface condition at this stage, you'd want to move it back and forth, then up and down at about a medium rate of movement. I'd say you're close but remember, not too slow nor too fast.

3.At this point of the polishing process, use very light pressure, moving the cyclo continuously until you have achieve the mirror polish. (You’ll see yourself quite clearly~!) Once you have that, it's time to stop and get ready to setup the next area for polishing. As you polish each new section, overlap just slightly, to blend in your polishing results with the previous area..
    Further.. I'd make this suggestion: Keep a gallon size container of "Spirit of Mineral" and, lots of clean, soft cloths on hand to clean up the black residue from your polished surface. Clean, clean, and clean..
As always, follow the basic precautions as they relate to: direct sunlight, surrounding air temp, etc.
Be safe at all times !!
Best of polishing to you~
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 02:14 AM   #4
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Vern,

FYI- Perfectpolish tweaked the procedure a little on the final S pass.

Now they say not to use any mineral spirits because that removes the protection the S polish offers.

They now say to use a very small amount of S on the cyclo, buff until its almost gone and do a final hand buff with a mircofiber cloth.

Gonna give it a try.
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 08:45 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari Tim
Vern,

FYI- Perfectpolish tweaked the procedure a little on the final S pass.

Now they say not to use any mineral spirits because that removes the protection the S polish offers.

They now say to use a very small amount of S on the cyclo, buff until its almost gone and do a final hand buff with a mircofiber cloth.

Gonna give it a try.
Thanks Tim,
Make sense..
I need to re-read the site..
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 12:47 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Well I just ordered some heads and bonnets from Perfect Polish I hope they will fit the model 3 Cyclo since they only carry the model 5 now. I would assume they are the same size, and I sure hope so.

Safari Tim - This is the first time I am doing this so I really don't know what pressure I will use yet. Just got to get the feel for it I guess. I am just getting ready to do it to it.
I have a panel to replace first, then I am going to paint the top Metalic Silver and clear coat that and then I will hit the front area back to the straight panels for a start. If that works out well I will just work my way back until I get to the rear area. Then I have a bathroom floor to replace, after that I will finish the polish. The finished areas will be coated with RejeX to seal in the shine. I still have a long way to go before I will be happy with it.

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote