Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2014, 10:54 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Hot Springs , South Dakota
Cyclo No 7 Polishing Compound

I read a lot about using a Cyclo polisher with Nuvite. I see that Cyclo produces a polishing compound that is locally available. Any thoughts on it? Is it comparable to Nuvite for removing oxidation?
John Adler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:33 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
No thoughts on Cyclo Number 7 polish?

Sent from my XT1030 using Airstream Forums mobile app
Old 02-07-2014, 06:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Cyclo makes a great tool. They seem more focused on automotive polishing with their chemistries. I use their polishes on my tow vehicle. The cyclo tool reduces swirl marks.

Nuvite builds polish compounds for aluminum. The grit would ruin a car's paint in short order. The cyclo is used for the final passes on the aluminum. Compounding with heavy grits is usually necessary for the first passes.

Metal Polishing Equipment : Auto Detailing Supplies : Electric Car Polishers : Airplane Polish : Auto Polisher : Aluminum : Polishers and Buffers : PerfectPolish.com

Plan on a two or three hundred hours of pushing your polishers around to get a good polish. Then plan on frustration at the first rain or bird dropping that stain up your hard work. But the overall effort has a lot of eye appeal.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:07 PM   #4
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Adler View Post
No thoughts on Cyclo Number 7 polish?

Never heard of Cyclo number 7 polish. I wasn't aware that Cyclo made any polish compounds, just the machines.

Nuvite F7, sure. Great stuff.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:09 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Tallahassee , Florida
Angry

I no longer use or recommend the NuVite polishes.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:22 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Why are you upset with Nuvite? What are you using or recommending?

Old 03-13-2014, 08:17 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Tallahassee , Florida
If you purchase their products, avoid opening the container if you want a refund.
I had problems with grade C (could have been a issue on my part). I asked for help from the company. I sent my first letter to the company on January 18th about my concerns. I have sent probably three letters. They just keep asking for more information and photographs. Have you ever tried to take a photograph of a scratch on a polished aluminum surface? After almost three months, no help and no refund on the "unused amount" from their offices in Brooklyn, NY. I wasn't "lawyering up". I was hoping we good find out why I had scratches in the surface. If you polish, I think a high quality wax helps keep the surface in good shape. My last polishing process took 88 hours for my 31 foot trailer. I probably could have saved some time by avoiding the addition of Grade C.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:39 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I just learned on the Vintage Airstream Podcast (way old episode "shiniest trailer on the planet") that grade C is a compounding polish used for heavy oxidation. It is one grade finer than G 6. I had been using C after F 7 mistakenly believing is was good mild compounding polish before the S since it has grit that "breaks down while polishing". I was disappointed with it too, but I have now learned it would work well as a compounding polish before F 7. That makes sense to me based on the results I was getting.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:05 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Tallahassee , Florida
Unhappy Polishing steps

The first time I polished, I compounded with F-7 Nuvite and used the Grade S in the Cyclopolisher. A website suggested using the Grade C (not the coarse grade) before using Grade S. The Grade C left scratches in the surface which I could not remove with the Cyclopolisher. The company failed to help me resolve the issue. I will buy another brand of polish in the future.

My Airstream is enclosed. I do not recommend polishing an Airstream which is outside in the elements. Bird dropping, tree sap, dirt, leaves, rain, etc. will void your efforts. Save your energy until you can protect the surface undercover.