Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-30-2015, 02:32 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78SovIntl31 View Post
I'm fighting the same issues with my cyclo. - I'm a little dissapointed with it to be honest. - I had been super excited to get the perfect mirror shine, but find i'm getting better results before the cyclo.

At this point I have 1 week until the campground opens, and still need to install an awning on the trailer, missing most exterior lights, no fridge access door, and more polishing to go... going to be a busy weekend!

Josh, I have to say that I have some serious shop envy.

Slofoks, try using your mineral spirits in a spray bottle and cleanup with new/clean cotton tee shirt or flannel cloths after each completed section.

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 03:00 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78SovIntl31 View Post
I'm fighting the same issues with my cyclo. - I'm a little dissapointed with it to be honest. - I had been super excited to get the perfect mirror shine, but find i'm getting better results before the cyclo.

At this point I have 1 week until the campground opens, and still need to install an awning on the trailer, missing most exterior lights, no fridge access door, and more polishing to go... going to be a busy weekend!
seriously nice storage spot there
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:04 AM   #23
laketime

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Texas
400 rpm

I got much better results by: 1. Covering the heads with an old bed sheet. 2. Only use a small dab of Nuvite S in 10 inch grid pattern (the end of one finger dab) 3. Slow the polishing down to 400 rpm. Slowing the rpm down is what really made the difference. I'm pretty sure that will work for you.
laketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:17 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1955 16' Bubble
claremore , Oklahoma
Hey guys,
I've suffered cloudiness and haze after cycloing with "S" to the point of waking away from the trailer....I can't count the hours spent polishing this 55 Bubble,all in vein in my opinion. Seriously,I wish I had a percentage of all the money I spent on polish(I've tried them all!) and equipment trying to get the mirror shine that I'm after. Shari,Robin,Tom(at Perfect Polish) and others have tried their best to help me,but all that I've had is failure after failure. My shine will look good,until I cyclo with "S"!(nothing will bring out the deep shine like "S",but along with it come cloudiness) My theroy this AM is that I've been using too much pressure along with too much polish....this has been going on forever!.....disgusted in tulsa....walt
walt c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:25 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Monona , Wisconsin
Polishing with Cyclo

Polished our 22-ft., 1967 using F7, C and S. Used the cyclo on only the S. I had purchased two 1/4 pound containers of all three polish grades. I used less than 1/4# of each on the entire 22-ft. trailer. So I have three unopened 1/4# containers of each. On the final "S" polish I used sweatshirt material and very light pressure. A little more pressure than the weight of the cyclo. Seemed to work for me. Furthermore I would reorenent my sweatshirt rag on the cyclo heads as soon as it became black and "caked" with polish. I actually went as far as to move the rag on the cyclo heads when they were half "caked".

The second photo was taken after the F7.

Greg Anderson
Wisconsin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06794.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	345.2 KB
ID:	241834   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06782.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	336.6 KB
ID:	241835  

gdanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 06:52 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I fretted about cloudy, hazy places on my polished 86. I cleaned with mineral spirits, and lacquer thinner with little effect. I found the cloudy condition went away with a couple of months outside. I believe it is polish residue. Now after three years, there are so many water spots, streaks, bird splats, tree sap, and bugs that the cloudy conditions are not a worry.

I believe you polished correctly with the Nuvite sequence. Fun, ain't it? I tried the Jestco method on my 66 Trade Wind and pretty much ruined it. Too much pressure, too much polish, too much speed, bad bar of polish, bad cotton buffs? Never again. It's hard to go wrong with Nuvite. I'm hopeful I can repair the Jestco damage with lots of Nuvite work.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:52 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Rescue , California
I also used mineral sprits after cyclo and s,but found that corn starch on a clean micro cloth worked the best to remove polish and give a great shine
Old 07-01-2015, 02:58 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1955 16' Bubble
claremore , Oklahoma
As far as cleaning between polishs,I've used wax and grease remover,laquer thinner,kerosene,mineral spirits,and even acid washed a panel or two.(not to mention micro fiber W/corn starch) No matter what I try,I get clouds after cycloing W/"A". Today,I tried using sheets rather then fleece wraps. Interesting but still NG. For fun,I then tried different polishs.....Blue Magic,Renew,White Diamond,and Mother's Billet off the top of my head...all failures.
The only technique that makes the metal half way acceptable is to use "S" by hand! I once polished aircraft by hand as a teenager using what I believe was NEVR-DULL.(I've tried it on my trailer and wasn't impressed) I would appreciate any other club member who may be getting cloudy areas when cycloing with "A" to try doing it by hand and let me know,please....walt...tulsa,ok
walt c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 07:06 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1968 28' Ambassador
Mckinney , Texas
Bringing this topic back seeing if anyone has solved the cyclo haze issue. I've been polishing mine forever and looks amazing till I use the cyclo with nuvite s. It leaves a haze or the polish mud still sticks in the tiny pitting from the horrible oxidation I had. Any advice is greatly appreciated my ocd for perfect finish is going to kill me on this project [emoji12]
Smokincj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 04:34 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
I am also fighting this cloudiness after Cycloing with S, as a couple previous posters said I've tried everything I can think of and search online.
I have upgraded my compounding polisher to a variable speed Makita and that made a big diference in the compounding and now wish I had bought the variable speed cyclo or maybe not bought one at all?
As others have said compounding with F7 gives a good deep shine but leaves light swirl marks, I have then tried compounding with S and even tied new microfibers on the pad with S and that is my best look but leaves ultra fine halogram swirls.
All this can only be seen with the sun on the panel, in the shade it looks really good.
Anyone have the answer?

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 05:13 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Alan, we initially polished our 66 using the Nuvite, Dewalt and Cyclo. It is exactly as you stated, looks fair in the shade but cloudy in the sun. We had read that others used Caswell bars and we tried that. We are extremely happy with the results. We found it was cheaper and took less time to polish to the mirror shine. We were told by Caswell not to use mineral spirits, just wipe it down good with a clean rag. If needed use lacquer thinner between bar grades. This is what we found works us. Good luck, Bubba
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:57 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Thanks Bubba, will look into their product. What bars did you use and did you compound only?
Thanks again.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 07:34 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
We used three bars, Black, brown and white. The black is the most abrasive, but not to the point of tearing up the skin. It does leave scratches which you incrementally remove with the brown and white. Whether you start with the black or brown depends on the condition of the skin. We use our variable speed Dewalt with cotton sewn wheels. I am impressed with the ability for the Caswell to get the cloudiness out and get the mirror shine. Let me know if you want to discuss. Bubba
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote