Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-10-2011, 06:55 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
HOUSE SPRINGS , MO
Cutting oxidation PRIOR to polishing??

I've been searching the Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing forum for an hour and can't find what I'm looking for... am I search challenged?

Is there a product/cleaner that can be used on the exterior skins prior to polishing? The goal of this product would be to have it do an initial "cut" of the corrosion. It seems there should be... Spray/wipe on, rinse or wipe off? We're starting to polish our 1959 and wondering if there is something out there. So far, Mike is using 2 polishers, gray bars and I think Mothers. (He's doing the initial cutting, I'm removing old sealer so we can make it leak proof.) We knew it was going to be labor intensive, but I think it's more than our largest estimations. There is still lots to be done, this is just the inital "cut" Mike tells me.

Thanks in advance!

Tina
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010519.JPG
Views:	323
Size:	465.4 KB
ID:	134449   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010640.JPG
Views:	343
Size:	449.2 KB
ID:	134450  

Old 07-10-2011, 07:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Are you removing the anodized finish off the Avion?
It was my understanding that they were anodized in order to eliminate the maintenance needed for a standard aluminum sheathed trailer.
Here's a thread concerning a similar question about a Silver Streak.http://www.airforums.com/forums/f441...eak-38863.html
Looks like you've already cut through the finish so I'd guess your commited to seeing it through to the end.

Good luck,
Tom

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
HOUSE SPRINGS , MO
Hi Tom,

No, our trailer is not anodized (Avions were anodized starting in '63-'64.) We're trying to "easily" remove some of the corrosion instead of all the passes with the polisher.

Thanks - good thought!

Tina
Old 07-10-2011, 07:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Learn something new every day.
Just saw your other tread. What a great find.

Tom

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:55 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
For the first cut I have used Liquid Gravel,and Nuvite # 9,both are good for the beginning cut. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:53 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
The Grey bars and the 3M are perfect....then to red bar (rouge) or Nuvite or Met-al. Its the polisher/wheel that now will make the difference. I highly recommend the wheel instead of the buffer type. Then finish it with the Cyclo. (Can even get a nice finish with doubled up cotton wheels.)
Old 07-10-2011, 10:53 PM   #7
Aluminum Falcon Mechanic

1972 31' Sovereign
Wesley chapel , Florida
What RPM / Wheel with the 3m?
Darkspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:17 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
HOUSE SPRINGS , MO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
The Grey bars and the 3M are perfect....then to red bar (rouge) or Nuvite or Met-al. Its the polisher/wheel that now will make the difference. I highly recommend the wheel instead of the buffer type. Then finish it with the Cyclo. (Can even get a nice finish with doubled up cotton wheels.)

We have been looking into a Drum Style Polisher. Streamquest put us on that track. It looks like it will be worth the investment, says Mike. I will tell Mike about the wheel style too, but I'm usually a day late... The buffer style definitely will make one "buffer."

Tina
Old 07-11-2011, 11:49 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
Hi Tina,

Funny running into you again on the forums. I see that you've been following the latest installment of the search for the "mystery trailer".

On the way home I stopped at Dan Piper's place (Vintage Campers) up in Peru, Indiana and picked up a product called "Streak Master Aluminum Brightener".
It is supposed to do exactly what you and I have in mind for it. I haven't tried it yet, but Dan seemed to be pretty hot on the stuff. I did see a couple of trailers that had been washed with it, and they looked pretty good. He cautioned me to wash from the bottom up, and to rinse THOROUGHLY.

There is still one Drum Polisher for sale on ebay (item number 120670902342) in case you're interested in pursuing it.

Best regards to you and Mike.

Charly
streamquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:34 PM   #10
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
I used the regular red compound on the upper parts where the clear coat was rotted away from UV leaving corrosion.

I did it with a std 8" wheel.

It was quick and when polishing it all blended in fine.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:09 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
HOUSE SPRINGS , MO
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamquest View Post

On the way home I stopped at Dan Piper's place (Vintage Campers) up in Peru, Indiana and picked up a product called "Streak Master Aluminum Brightener".
It is supposed to do exactly what you and I have in mind for it. I haven't tried it yet, but Dan seemed to be pretty hot on the stuff. I did see a couple of trailers that had been washed with it, and they looked pretty good. He cautioned me to wash from the bottom up, and to rinse THOROUGHLY.

Charly

Thanks Charly,

I had an order into Vintage on Friday, so I sent another one today for the Streak Master, we'll give the stuff a try. Mike is also researching a Drum Polisher that is electric. That may be a bit more useful to us instead of having to rent the big air compressor. Don't know if it works as well, we'll see if we can find some reviews.

Thanks again!

Tina
Old 07-20-2011, 04:24 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
HOUSE SPRINGS , MO
Where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
MR-
Where have you found the best place to get the "wheels" for the wheel type polisher? We still haven't invested in a drum polisher, and currently using small wheels, can't find larger ones locally and wanted your advice on where to get them.

THANKS!

Tina
Old 07-20-2011, 04:32 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
HOUSE SPRINGS , MO
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamquest View Post
Charly,

We ordered this product from Vintage Campers after your post and washed the trailer over the weekend. It made a noticable difference. Since Mike's doing most all the "cutting" work, I've been quizzing him on it, and he said it definitely helped. It's not a spray on rinse off "miracle shine", but it's good prior to the first cut. Yes, we would definitely use this product again.

We haven't yet invested in a drum polisher. The electric one has not so good reviews and we're keeping on with the wheel style for now, but we need to get some bigger pads .

Tina
Old 07-20-2011, 04:48 PM   #14
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
The product you are talking about is sold under many trade names. Truck Brite Wash, Aluma Brite, Tank Brite, Tanker Wash (I buy it at Fleet Services or Freight Liner here in Baltimore)... It is an acid. You dilute it 6 oz to a gallon and apply it. It "flashes" the surface. It cuts the first cut by 80%. If used between each step it will rapidly speed up the entire process. FLUSH WELL!!!

Diluted 3oz to one gallon sprayed over the entire polished surface, will give that soft vintage look.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:55 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
HOUSE SPRINGS , MO
After using the wash, the polishing on the door went better because the layer of "dirt and grime" was removed. Here's the first cut on the door after using the wash and the gray bar. This photo is a good comparison the photo in the first post. It still wasn't "easy as pie" but wasn't as much work.

If you have a section that is already polished, don't use this stuff on it or allow it to run on it. It dulled our area where the first cut had been, but we were expecting that.

Tina
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010667.JPG
Views:	609
Size:	470.8 KB
ID:	135470  
Old 07-20-2011, 04:56 PM   #16
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I wanted to add, this is part of a process, not a simple fix to removing oxidation. That is what elbow grease is for.
This is also very strong stuff. Undiluted it will etch your trailer right away.
I do not recommend one just go play with this stuff, it is a serious tool.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:35 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
I've run the gammut on varios polishing products of late and stumbled upon blue magic metal polish...it's fairly innexpensive and does one helluva nice job following the initial cut. I used a polisher/buffer on low speed and a wool bonnet...excellent results! Here's my interior from two feet away.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3522764752.png
Views:	222
Size:	702.9 KB
ID:	135516  
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:37 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
Hi Tina,

Glad to hear that things are progressing well, and that the "Streakmaster" has helped. The door looks great! I hope it has provided a good blast of inspiration for you, and especially Mike!

I'm about half way down one side of my motorhome with a LONG way to go.

SHINE ON!!!

Charly
streamquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:25 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
The product you are talking about is sold under many trade names. Truck Brite Wash, Aluma Brite, Tank Brite, Tanker Wash (I buy it at Fleet Services or Freight Liner here in Baltimore)... It is an acid. You dilute it 6 oz to a gallon and apply it. It "flashes" the surface. It cuts the first cut by 80%. If used between each step it will rapidly speed up the entire process. FLUSH WELL!!!

Diluted 3oz to one gallon sprayed over the entire polished surface, will give that soft vintage look.
Just checking- using Aluma Brite between polishing passes will help? I am 2 passes in on the Diamondbrite method like RB does, and it is going well, but there is still more to go to get it up further. I use the Aluma stuff before I began and it did brighten the skin considerably ...bought the spray and brushed it, then after a few minutes hosed it off.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:47 PM   #20
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Between cuts is how my polish guy does it.