Old 09-30-2003, 01:09 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Clearcoat stripper in Phoenix, AZ:

If you're in Phoenix, it looks like I'll have about half a gallon of the Removall 210 left over. Soon as I'm done, you're welcome to it. Probably this weekend, Lord willing and the creeks don't rise!

drboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 07:45 AM   #58
mirror finish protection.

I would think that if you paid for the option of a mirror finish you would still need to protect it. Road salts, dirt and grime will also take a toll on even the best finishes. We sell a product for the shiny metal bodied trucks as well as the 210 Napier stripper. It is a film that is easier to remove and replace however the look of a newly coated air stream really can't be beat!!!!

Kevin W. Collard
Boston Restoration Supply Inc.
Kevin W. Collard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 02:25 PM   #59
3 Rivet Member
1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
stripping the clear coat

I have a 1974 Soverign and used the Orange striper from Lowe's and have had great results and it did not damage the skin. It does take a few coats and seems to work best if you do not allow it to dry completely and it hoses off with water. I also bought some aluminum boat polisher from Wal-mart and had really good results with polishing. It does not take a lot of polish, but a whole lot of elbow grease. I used a drill with a buffer to polish and am getting a mirror finish with that. On the sides of my Airstream where the paint was all faded and peeling, I took some fine sandpaper and then painted with oil based paint and this has not faded for nearly two years! I need to know how to remove some of the road rash on the front though---any suggestions?
imeynstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 11:11 PM   #60
NAPLES , Florida

This Is My First Time On And I Was Wondering Where Can I Go, To Down Load Instructions On Stripping And Polishing And Is That The First Thing I Should Do On This Restoration Project??

Thanks Carl
CARL GUZMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 06:14 AM   #61
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Welcome! There are a number of memebers who know a lot about stripping and polishing. Certainly try searching these threads for keywords like "polish", stripping, etc.

Also, the website is an excellent resource chock full of information about polishing.

Good luck with your project. Please be sure to keep us up to date and post a few pictures of your progress.
Steven Webster
1986 Airstream 345 Classic Motorhome
AIR 1760
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 06:37 PM   #62
Lost My Rivets
2013 30' Classic
New Braunfels , Texas
Finally got started....

I spent the weekend trying to remove the clearcoat from the aluminum beast. I say trying because of now, I haven't been totally successfull. The Citristrip worked great on the top, but worked less and less the lower I applied it on the sides. The clearcoat just laughed at it and I applied several coats.

Since I'm trying not to kill myself in this clearcoat removal process, my next step is to try Napier's Removall 210. Sounds like it is less toxic than Aircraft stripper or the Jasco product. Hopefully, I can have the sides finished this week, so I can start the polishing process next weekend.
WBCCI #3162, VAC
1969 Overlander International

"It's the little things in life that...."
jdleezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 12:59 PM   #63
Lost My Rivets
2013 30' Classic
New Braunfels , Texas
Clearcoat is Removed

I Ordered a gallon of RemovALL 220 (supposedly the same as 210, but meant to be brushed on) from Down to Earth Products last weekend after reading favorable endorsements about it here at the forum. This was after trying Citristrip and Safestrip and finding they didn't work very well on the sides of the trailer. I brushed it on thick, waited approximately 5 minutes and used a plastic scraper to remove most of the clearcoat. After working on one side of the trailer I just hosed the remaining 220 and clearcoat right off.

If anyone is thinking about removing their clearcoat I wholeheartedly recommend the 220! It was safe and easy to use.

Now I start polishing.

WBCCI #3162, VAC
1969 Overlander International

"It's the little things in life that...."
jdleezer is offline   Reply With Quote