Old 08-19-2003, 03:13 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
1963 22' Safari
Troy , Michigan
Wink

I just stripped my 1978 sovereign using Napier Removall 210 GREAT and friendly to enviroment! Removall removed 98% am cleaning small spots that remain with aircraft spray from Walmarts. Plasticote peeled off with a power sprayer and solvent and water ran off safely. Plasticote was then swept up and disposed of in rubbish. Aircraft spray is mean stuff and burns to let you know you have it on you! fortunately I used little of it and wiped it off with rags that I disposed of after airing out. Heres a photo of plasticote coming off. Tried Napier SV35as from aircraft spruce and it took three coats to remove what the 210 removed in one coat! Napier says they are almost identical except 210 is a little more agressive!

Old 08-19-2003, 03:36 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
1963 22' Safari
Troy , Michigan
Cool

will try photo again after reading directions!
NO luck on attaching photo I'll try later!

Old 08-19-2003, 04:47 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Fun-Lovin
Im taking it is necessary to remove the clearcoat - plasticoat before you can buff and polish the outter shell.
Is this correct?

Greg
Old 08-19-2003, 04:58 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Yes Greg, you must first remove the old clearcoat/plasticoat prior to polishing the aluminum regardless of the polishing technique you choose.

Shari
Old 08-19-2003, 09:16 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

"I'll chime in only from the "doctor side" here and say that methylene chloride IS a risky thing to use -- BUT, if you're using it outside in a well ventilated area, you're probably OK without the SCBA."

Thanks for your input, Doc. Maybe I should get off my "high horse". I'm addressng the issue from a HazMat employers standpoint, not the back-yard do-it yourselfer.

I'll quote from one of the many aircraft stripper manufacturers (Klean Strip Aircraft Remover from NAPA):

"For OSHA controlled work place and other regular users - use only with adequate ventilation under engineered air control systems designed to prevent exceeding appropriate TLV".

"For occasional use - Where engineered air control is not feasable, use properly maintained and properly fitted NIOSH approved SCBA for chlorinated solvent vapors. A dust mask does not provide protection against vapors".

So, I guess the "occasional" back-yard user can feel free to destory his/her lungs, liver, salivary and mammary glands at will.

"I could tell you stories about HF, too...bad stuff!" Please do.

Regards (and practice safe stripping).

Thanks again.

P.S. I have edited this message based on receipt of a Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) today, which differs from the information on the can.
Old 08-20-2003, 09:25 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Glad somebody mentioned the Napier products! I didn't know about the 210, but I used the SV35 AC with what I thought were terrific results. Results on areas where the clearcoat was already heavily damaged weren't as good as where it was intact, so maybe this other would work better. But anyway, Napier stripper is hydrogen peroxide based, so it's friendly to the environment and to you. After starting my clearcoat removal with nasty, toxic Klean Strip Aircraft Remover, I sing Napier's praises any chance I get.
Old 08-21-2003, 07:19 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

I finally came across a product at my local paint & paper store that I'm comfortable with from a health & safety standpoint.

It's called "Multi-Strip" and "After-Strip" from "Back to Nature Products", Englishtown, NJ
ibacktonature.com/Pages/multistrip-PD.html
732-792-2001

It is biodegradable, odor-free, non-flammable, non-combustible, contains no methylene chloride or caustic and can easily be cleaned up with water.

I ran a test strip on a very difficult area that was painted and plasticoted. Everything washed off with water after 4 hours. I'm sold on the product.
Old 08-21-2003, 01:55 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

jthew suggested a "Back to Nature" product called Multistrip for the 1985 motorhome. I have a 1977 Sovereign that I'd like to start stripping soon, and the store mentioned is very close to where I live. So I guess my question is, would the same type of clearcoat stripper be able to be used on a '77 ? I am so confused with all of the choices, and this new discussion of fumes and "spillage" is scaring me -- I am a total klutz and will be needing four hands to do the top of the Airstream, as two of them will be clutching a ladder white-knuckled (hate heights and ladders, too!). What do you think? Should I try the Multistrip, the citristrip, or Napier product--I j kind of have it narrowed down...
Thanks!
I might also add the Airtream has been outside under pine trees for at least 8 years.
Old 08-21-2003, 02:02 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I tried some Citristrip on one of my painted aluminum propane bottles last night. Did not seem to do much after a couple of hours. Say's it is active for 24 hours. I'll see what it looks like when I get home from work, that will be about 22 hours.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 07:42 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Barbara:

I've read every post related to (paint) strippers 2 or 3 times now and done a lot of other research too, so understand how confused you feel.

It seems like you've narrowed it down to 3 relatively "user friendly" choices. My paint and wallpaper store had the Citristrip and Multistrip on the shelf and recommended the Multistrip based on experience and customer satisfaction. I haven't researched the Napier product, but it seems others have had good luck with it.

I sent an e-mail to the Back-to-Nature people requesting information and they responded in a prompt and professional manner (see the link to their web page in my previous post).

You may not get "instant gratification" with these products like the aircraft strippers (leave that stuff to the pros), but at least you'll live to enjoy the results.

I sympathize with you regarding heights and ladders. I fly airplanes, sailplanes and helicopters, but get very weak-kneed on top of my 10' high Airstream

Keep in touch and let us know how you make out, and I'll do the same.

Regards,
Jeff
Old 08-21-2003, 09:09 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Having used both the aircraft type (briefly) and the Napier, I would say they work equally quickly. With the Napier SV35, I found leaving it on about 15-20 minutes was enough. When you see it start to bubble, it's done, and you just take a garden hose with a pressure nozzle on it and spray it off. It doesn't actually dissolve the clearcoat, just causes it to separate from the aluminum and peel off in sheets that look like wet blue Kleenex.
Old 09-22-2003, 04:53 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Strippers

Quote:
Keep in touch and let us know how you make out, and I'll do the same.
One month later - time sure flys (or is it flies). Here's my experience with strippers:

As stated in previous posts; as a backyard amateur, I refuse to use any product which contains methylene chloride or hydroflouric acid.

I used Back To Nature Multi-Strip (as previously mentioned) to remove the gray paint on the "front clip" (cowl, sides and window trim) of my motorhome.

It seems environmentally safe and user-friendly, as advertised - no burns, respiratory distress, etc.

Put on a thick coat with a paint brush and wait 2 - 4 hours (longer is not better), then remove curdled paint with a plastic putty knife, paper towel and soft Scotchpad, washdown with garden hose. One application did the job.

The good/bad news is that it doesn't seem to remove the clearcoat adjacent to the paint. This is good news if you just want to remove the paint, bad news if you want to remove the clearcoat.

Next project is to prep the gray lower portion all around for repainting. Think I'll skip the paint remover and just orbital sand with 220/280/320 grit sandpaper.

Any suggestions from the pros here would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Jeff
Old 09-22-2003, 11:45 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
How about a source for the Napier SV35? Where did you get it?

I just removed two hundred and some-odd square feet of carpet glue on my back porch with Jasco MEC stuff, and I'm sure my poor liver is still working overtime (and not being paid time-and-a-half anymore for it, either!) to get rid of it before I start to grow another leg out of my forehead.

Thanks!

Don
Old 09-22-2003, 12:34 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
1963 22' Safari
Troy , Michigan
I bought mine at aircraft spruce
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/neword...p=13-01515&q=1

I'd recommend napier 210 Removall same stuff but stronger in my opinion check online at napier for local suppliers
Paul

1997 34' Classic FK
airstream4 is offline   Reply With Quote