Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2003, 06:19 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

I finally came across a product at my local paint & paper store that I'm comfortable with from a health & safety standpoint.

It's called "Multi-Strip" and "After-Strip" from "Back to Nature Products", Englishtown, NJ
ibacktonature.com/Pages/multistrip-PD.html
732-792-2001

It is biodegradable, odor-free, non-flammable, non-combustible, contains no methylene chloride or caustic and can easily be cleaned up with water.

I ran a test strip on a very difficult area that was painted and plasticoted. Everything washed off with water after 4 hours. I'm sold on the product.
jthew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 12:55 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

jthew suggested a "Back to Nature" product called Multistrip for the 1985 motorhome. I have a 1977 Sovereign that I'd like to start stripping soon, and the store mentioned is very close to where I live. So I guess my question is, would the same type of clearcoat stripper be able to be used on a '77 ? I am so confused with all of the choices, and this new discussion of fumes and "spillage" is scaring me -- I am a total klutz and will be needing four hands to do the top of the Airstream, as two of them will be clutching a ladder white-knuckled (hate heights and ladders, too!). What do you think? Should I try the Multistrip, the citristrip, or Napier product--I j kind of have it narrowed down...
Thanks!
I might also add the Airtream has been outside under pine trees for at least 8 years.
Old 08-21-2003, 01:02 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I tried some Citristrip on one of my painted aluminum propane bottles last night. Did not seem to do much after a couple of hours. Say's it is active for 24 hours. I'll see what it looks like when I get home from work, that will be about 22 hours.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 06:42 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Barbara:

I've read every post related to (paint) strippers 2 or 3 times now and done a lot of other research too, so understand how confused you feel.

It seems like you've narrowed it down to 3 relatively "user friendly" choices. My paint and wallpaper store had the Citristrip and Multistrip on the shelf and recommended the Multistrip based on experience and customer satisfaction. I haven't researched the Napier product, but it seems others have had good luck with it.

I sent an e-mail to the Back-to-Nature people requesting information and they responded in a prompt and professional manner (see the link to their web page in my previous post).

You may not get "instant gratification" with these products like the aircraft strippers (leave that stuff to the pros), but at least you'll live to enjoy the results.

I sympathize with you regarding heights and ladders. I fly airplanes, sailplanes and helicopters, but get very weak-kneed on top of my 10' high Airstream

Keep in touch and let us know how you make out, and I'll do the same.

Regards,
Jeff
Old 08-21-2003, 08:09 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Having used both the aircraft type (briefly) and the Napier, I would say they work equally quickly. With the Napier SV35, I found leaving it on about 15-20 minutes was enough. When you see it start to bubble, it's done, and you just take a garden hose with a pressure nozzle on it and spray it off. It doesn't actually dissolve the clearcoat, just causes it to separate from the aluminum and peel off in sheets that look like wet blue Kleenex.
Old 09-22-2003, 03:53 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Strippers

Quote:
Keep in touch and let us know how you make out, and I'll do the same.
One month later - time sure flys (or is it flies). Here's my experience with strippers:

As stated in previous posts; as a backyard amateur, I refuse to use any product which contains methylene chloride or hydroflouric acid.

I used Back To Nature Multi-Strip (as previously mentioned) to remove the gray paint on the "front clip" (cowl, sides and window trim) of my motorhome.

It seems environmentally safe and user-friendly, as advertised - no burns, respiratory distress, etc.

Put on a thick coat with a paint brush and wait 2 - 4 hours (longer is not better), then remove curdled paint with a plastic putty knife, paper towel and soft Scotchpad, washdown with garden hose. One application did the job.

The good/bad news is that it doesn't seem to remove the clearcoat adjacent to the paint. This is good news if you just want to remove the paint, bad news if you want to remove the clearcoat.

Next project is to prep the gray lower portion all around for repainting. Think I'll skip the paint remover and just orbital sand with 220/280/320 grit sandpaper.

Any suggestions from the pros here would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Jeff
Old 09-22-2003, 10:45 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
How about a source for the Napier SV35? Where did you get it?

I just removed two hundred and some-odd square feet of carpet glue on my back porch with Jasco MEC stuff, and I'm sure my poor liver is still working overtime (and not being paid time-and-a-half anymore for it, either!) to get rid of it before I start to grow another leg out of my forehead.

Thanks!

Don
drboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 11:34 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
1963 22' Safari
Troy , Michigan
I bought mine at aircraft spruce
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/neword...p=13-01515&q=1

I'd recommend napier 210 Removall same stuff but stronger in my opinion check online at napier for local suppliers
Paul
1997 34' Classic FK
airstream4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 11:49 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drboyd
How about a source for the Napier SV35? Where did you get it?
Don:

Try this:

Napier Environmental Customer Service
Terry Jackson
800-663-9274 Ext. 2412
terryj@napiere.com (not a typo)

I just got an e-mail back within 2 hours requesting a MSDS for Napier RemovAll 210 paint stripper. Others have used this product with good results, so thought I'd look into it. Health hazards look acceptable and protective equipment is just common sense stuff (no moon suit or SCBA).

I'm awaiting a reply to a second e-mail requesting a list of suppliers in Central NY. I'll post the information when it arrives, hopefully they distribute thru a national chain such as Home Depot, et al.

Regards,
Jeff
Old 09-22-2003, 12:03 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

My Poor Liver

Quote:
I'm sure my poor liver is still working overtime
Don:

Be aware of the delayed effects and symptoms of exposure to Methylene Chloride as posted by DPeakMD earlier in this thread.

Now, go have a couple of beers and flush that stuff out of your system

Regards,
Jeff

P.S. Anybody know what the chemical reaction between Methylene Chloride (CH2Cl2) and Ethyl Alcohol (CH3CH2OH) would be in Don's poor liver?
Old 09-22-2003, 12:16 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member

jrboyd says: "...poor liver is still working overtime (and not being paid time-and-a-half anymore for it, either!) to get rid of it before I start to grow another leg out of my forehead."

Just curious--how many legs growing from your forehead now!!!

Seriously: I am ready to invest in some stripper, but am only going to start on a small panel--do you think that will be a problem? I'm just wondering if you can do it piecemeal like that without the underpart corroding or something until it is finished. My trailer is very long!!! (And I may be a bit inefficient at first)
Old 09-22-2003, 01:31 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Barbara is Back

Originally posted by Barbara L.

Poor Don

I am ready to invest in some stripper

Barbara, which stripper did you decide to use?

wondering if you can do it piecemeal like that without the underpart corroding or something until it is finished

Dunno, now let's see; that chemical reaction would be Aluminum (Al) plus Water (H2O) plus Air -- Oh, forget it.

My trailer is very long!!! (And I may be a bit inefficient at first)

My motorhome is LONGER! It only took me a month to do the front end

I've got way too much time on my hands today, it's raining and can't get anything done outside. Guess I'll go mess around with something inside.

Have a nice day and Practice Safe Stripping

Regards,
Jeff

P.S. Guess what I learned to use at the Forum today

Uh-oh, gotta go, the warden is coming. NO, I haven't been drinking - it's the fumes from the paint stripper!
Old 09-22-2003, 01:49 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member

I am going to try a small container of the Back to Nature Multi-Strip, as it seems to be readily available at many of the hardware stores around where I live, and I like the idea of its "nontoxicity"-- well, I'm not going to eat it or anything! I think I'll apply it to a small area, go inside the trailer and work on the water pipes which we are replacing, maybe tear up the carpet (I found YELLOW shag carpeting underneath the carpeting that is in there now, and I think that's why it smells so musty). I believe in starting three projects at once rather than tackling one at a time--then I never get bored.
After a couple of hours working on the inside, I'll go back out and see if the patchy clearcoat is coming off, and then go from there!
Does that sound realistic?
Eventually I'd like to put in the cork flooring (only that's for another topic!!)
Old 09-22-2003, 02:26 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
drboyd says: "...poor liver is still working overtime (and not being paid time-and-a-half anymore for it, either!) to get rid of it before I start to grow another leg out of my forehead."
Well, let's just say it's getting much easier to kick myself in the head!

Quote:
Seriously: I am ready to invest in some stripper....
...and if you really are getting ready to invest in a stripper, you might check with your husband first...

Don
Old 09-22-2003, 02:38 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

Back to Barbara

Originally posted by Barbara L.

I am going to try a small container of the Back to Nature Multi-Strip

Worked for me, see my previous post for further info.

I like the idea of its "nontoxicity"-- well, I'm not going to eat it or anything!

Our puppy took a lick out of the container, called the vet and he said to pack her full of bread and water. She's still with us, but now staked out on a leash away from the work area. Needless to say, I felt terrible.

I found YELLOW shag carpeting underneath the carpeting that is in there now

Oh yeh, it used to look great in the 70's with Coppertone appliances, but now I'm dating myself.

I believe in starting three projects at once rather than tackling one at a time--then I never get bored.

Right on!

After a couple of hours working on the inside, I'll go back out and see if the patchy clearcoat is coming off, and then go from there!
Does that sound realistic?

Sounds like a plan.

Please get back to us with your results and any little tricks you may learn.

Regards,
Jeff

I had to do that again, can't help myself, it's just so
Old 09-22-2003, 02:48 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Opinion

It's amazing how some products work great for some, and not so well for others.

I have found Citri-Strip to be an excellent product for stripping clear coat. Doesn't work worth a flip for removing paint, decals, or glue, though.

I paint the Citristrip (no methyl chloride) on fairly heavy with a brush, let it work for 20 - 30 minutes (doesn't run too bad), and scrape off the clearcoat and excess Citristrip with a plastic scraper into a disposable tub (I use Cottage Cheese containers). The small amount of residual left on the side skins is easily washed off with a water hose. All of the paper towels and disposable tubs go into a plastic sack with the trash. Not too nasty to work with.

Citristrip is available at your friendly orange Home Depot in the paint department.

The only protection I use (besides goggles) is a good pair of latex gloves. Citristrip is thick enough that it does not tend to spatter.

I'm still perfecting the shining process, though. My technique is no where close to where it needs to be. I tried SS with varying degrees of success, likewise various compounding mixtures (including Nuvite).

Some areas seem to shine out with a small amount of effort, while others defy my most valiant efforts.

Pics to follow.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 03:04 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

Quote:

Well, let's just say it's getting much easier to kick myself in the head!

...and if you really are getting ready to invest in a stripper, you might check with your husband first...

Don
Don:

Good ones! I take it you followed my advice and had a couple of cold ones to cleanse the body. Are you feeling dizzy and nauseous yet?

How do you do that multiple "quote" thing in a reply? It would save a lot of color ink.

I haven't accomplished a thing on the Airstream today (wait till the "Warden" finds out), but am sure getting computer literate.

Regards,
Jeff
Old 09-22-2003, 03:45 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
The multiple quote thing...

...and the cold ones:

Quote:
Good ones! I take it you followed my advice and had a couple of cold ones to cleanse the body. Are you feeling dizzy and nauseous yet?
Yes, but that may be just too many of those cold ones...

Quote:
How do you do that multiple "quote" thing in a reply? It would save a lot of color ink.
Just go thru the same process again...

Select and highlight the passage
Hold Control and press "C"
Click on "Quote" button
Control + V

...or you can just copy the html tags, and put the "boxed QUOTE" and the "slash boxed QUOTE" after it.... I can't copy them without making it happen, but if you watch your message text, you'll see what it's doing... Just preview your message to see if you have it right...

Don
Old 09-22-2003, 06:48 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

Dinner for None

Quote:
...and the cold ones:

Select and highlight the passage
Hold Control and press "C"
Click on "Quote" button
Control + V

...or you can just copy the html tags, and put the "boxed QUOTE" and the "slash boxed QUOTE" after it.... Don
Ah, like this, thanks.

Well it's been a great educational day, but just got busted by "the Warden" (a.k.a. The Wife) for my performance (or lack thereof) on the Airstream.

As a result, I had to cook (microwave) my own dinner - a sumptious beef stew packed with 230 calories and 6 grams of fat. In my frenzy to get at this delicacy, I rip open the package (before reading the directions - it's a manly thing to do, right?) only to discover it's the cooking container.

Now, answer me this Don (hello, are you still there) because you are obviously a man of great knowledge. Here's the directions on top of the box - what would you do?:

1. Remove circle. (What circle?)
2. Remove bowl. (Already exposed) Reclose side panel (Previously ripped off)
3. Place bowl in holder (After removing from trash - yech) Don't vent or pierce film (Any gourmet chef knows that)
4. Microwave on high for 3-1/2 minutes (This must contain a BIG chunk of beef)
5. Pull back film, stir, recover (How do you stir when it's still frozen?) Cook on HIGH for an additional 1 to 1-1/2 minutes (Capital HIGH this time, OK crank it up and double the time)
6. COMPLETE COOKING DIRECTIONS ON BOTTOM OF CARTON (Too late, bowl explodes in microwave, Warden bans me from kitchen)

So I head off to "my hole" with remains of package in hand. Now I'm studying the ingredients to see if this would make a good paint stripper for the Airstream, since I haven't done anything else today. First (and major ingredient) is water - that's good. But what's this? - maltodextrin, sodium phosphate, tricalcium phosphate, silicon dioxide, mono and diglycerides, bha and bht, monosodium glumate, citric acid, disodium guanylate, thiamine hydrochloride AND chicken fat ("Where's the Beef"?).

I'm sure not putting this on the Airstream (or in my body) until I get a Material Safety Data Sheet! You guessed it - I'm an Engineer.

Learned a lot (thanks to you good people) and had a lot of fun today. Weather forecast is good for tomorrow, so gotta get back to work. Hope to chat with you again, soon.

Regards,
Jeff

Moderator: Please feel to place this drivel elsewhere or simply delete it - I'm way out of line and off topic here.
Old 09-23-2003, 03:15 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

Napier Products

Quote:
Originally posted by jthew1

Don:

Try this:

Napier Environmental Customer Service
Terry Jackson
800-663-9274 Ext. 2412
terryj@napiere.com (not a typo)

Don:

Here's "the rest of the story". I spent a fair amount of time on the phone today (and working on the Airstream), rather than goofing off on the Forum.

I'm going to start a new thread titled "Napier Products" as this one is getting so long (39 posts) including my off-topic gibberish. I've gathered a lot of new technical info on the products and several excellent contacts (phone, e-mail and web sites).

But first, since you are the Computer Guru, please advise me how to carry a link to this thread to the new one. There has certainly been a lot of good info here which could be of value to someone new to the subject in the future.

I await your reply.

Regards,
Jeff