Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2015, 10:13 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
cloverdale , British Columbia
Clearcoat or not?

Just wondered if anyone knows when A.S. started using clearcoat. Thought I saw in a post somewhere that it was after 68'.. Don't want to be stripping an exterior that doesn't need it
cregu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
My '69 has Plasticoat that is starting to fail and will have to be stripped.

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 04:30 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
1954 15' Byam Holiday
Vintage Kin Owner
Linden , Michigan
Clear Coat

My 1963 Bambi has clear coat that I am currently trying to remove. I am approximately 80% complete on the removal. This being only a 16' model, I have countless hours in the removal process. I would hate to be tackling a 24' +

Regards,
StevieB
StevieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:26 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Winter Park , Florida
Cregu1,

In a previous post, someone stated that AS started using Clear coat in 1960 as an option and by 1963 it was oem.

I am in the process of re-clear coating my 93 currently.
sealaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:40 PM   #5
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Take a bit of aluminum polish and rub a small circle (even toothpaste will work in a pinch) if it goes black there's no clearcoat. Chances are your 68 was clearcoated but maybe you'll get lucky!
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:44 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Are new Airstreams still being clear coated? I've not seen any reference to it in AS literature or YouTube videos.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:54 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjkq View Post
Are new Airstreams still being clear coated? I've not seen any reference to it in AS literature or YouTube videos.
Yep they get it from the mill with the plasticoat already on the aluminum.

Honestly wish they'd go back to alclad and no plasticoat, think it would resolve a lot of corrosion issues they've been having.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:37 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Please realize that an older Airstream can have clear coat in some places and none in others. As the original coating fails with long exposure to the elements, it eventually disappears completely. We had to strip clear coat off the sides of our trailer, especially the side the PO stored facing away from the sun. In other spots, mostly on top, there was no clear coat left.

Sun damaged clear coat and oxidized aluminum can look a lot alike. Try the toothpaste test mentioned above. If you get black stuff on the polish rag, that's the aluminum oxide coming off--no clear coat left in that spot.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 06:03 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
grass valley , California
I have a 1961 Bambi and it had clear coat. Clear coat was an option starting in 1961 and standard starting in 1963.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 09-20-2015, 12:40 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinktankair View Post
I have a 1961 Bambi and it had clear coat. Clear coat was an option starting in 1961 and standard starting in 1963.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Correct.

Clear coat or Plasticoat as some call it has been some what of a thorn in Airstream's side for many years.

Why, we ask ?

Because it seemed that no matter what formula they used, it lasted 5 to 6 years, and that was about it. Granted, if you waxed it every month or so, you could get maybe another 6 months out of it's life.

Be assured, that Airstream has worked very hard, for decades to come up wiyj something better.

Well, the great news is that they have finally reached that goal.

The clearcoat today, is not applied to the metal by Airstream. They receive the metal with the clearcoat already on it. So far, it appears to be working far superior to the previous formulas.

The only bad part of the new coating, is it cannot be applied in the field, since even the factory cannot apply it.

However, for patch work, and recoating, a 2 part formula is still available, that can be purchased through a parts stocking dealer.

There is a new "clear" product on the market, that carries a manufacturers 7 year warranty. From the factories description, it would fit recoating an Airstream perfectly. We do not know any more about it, but we will check into it. If what they stated can be backed up, then perhaps it will be a huge answer to "great recoating".

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 02:58 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Correct.

Clear coat or Plasticoat as some call it has been some what of a thorn in Airstream's side for many years.

Why, we ask ?

Because it seemed that no matter what formula they used, it lasted 5 to 6 years, and that was about it. Granted, if you waxed it every month or so, you could get maybe another 6 months out of it's life.

Be assured, that Airstream has worked very hard, for decades to come up wiyj something better.

Well, the great news is that they have finally reached that goal.

The clearcoat today, is not applied to the metal by Airstream. They receive the metal with the clearcoat already on it. So far, it appears to be working far superior to the previous formulas.

The only bad part of the new coating, is it cannot be applied in the field, since even the factory cannot apply it.

However, for patch work, and recoating, a 2 part formula is still available, that can be purchased through a parts stocking dealer.

There is a new "clear" product on the market, that carries a manufacturers 7 year warranty. From the factories description, it would fit recoating an Airstream perfectly. We do not know any more about it, but we will check into it. If what they stated can be backed up, then perhaps it will be a huge answer to "great recoating".

Andy
Andy will you fwd info on the 2 part formula for patch work and recoating. Like part number, etc. who has it, AS or dealers, etc?
Thanks
Howard
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote