Old 07-31-2014, 02:54 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
omaha , Nebraska
Clear coat not coming off after 2 tries :(

I applied a coat of Aircraft Paint Remover and then power washed 15 minutes later and got some of the clear coat off. I did it a second time and not much of the remaining came off... What should I do as the unit looks terrible

Can I wipe it down with lacquer thinner to get the rest off?

Old 07-31-2014, 03:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Clear coat not coming off after 2 tries :(

Reapply the stripper, let it sit longer, even a couple of hours (or more) if needed.

You can cover the stripper with saran wrap to allow it to stay moist longer and work stronger.

You are now committed to the project.....

Anyway, you will also find that the stripper works much better out of direct sunlight.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 04:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Gotta agree here with J. Morgan, give it more time. If it is like most strippers, it contains parafin which skims over to keep the actual solvent underneath from flashing off. Don't brush it back and forth like paint, daub it on thick, then take a break. Let it do it's thing.You can even reapply it on top of the first round if need be.

No doubt about it, a tough and labor intensive job. Good luck.

John
WBCCI #3892
Region 3 , 1st VP

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight he will just kill you........a wise old man.
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 04:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1985 25' Sovereign
Venice/Nokomis , Florida
Don't be discouraged right away. I don't know one stripper from another. The variety is endless as to what to use. In my case I bought off the shelf at Home Depot a product called Klean Strip KS-3. BTW, I am not endorsing Home Depot, they just as happen to sell what I bought at the time. As said in prior post the key is to give the product a reasonable chance to work what ever you use. We are all anxious to have it DONE! Well, patience is also another key. It does come off. My way of removing was to apply the stripper wait the reasonable time, maybe reapply over, then using a sharp plastic scraper slowly remove the clear coat. Plastic scaper as not to scatch the aluminu.Also I am just removing the clear coat from the upper area above the bumper rail. So the need for protecting the lower area is important. A wipe with paint thinner will remove the remaining residue from stripping. Good luck, it does come off! Sorry if this post is too wordy but I am tring to make a point and be as clear as I can be.

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:16 PM   #5
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Yep, just recoat and try again. It'll eventually take it all off. Along with splotches of your body's outer covering, as noted in the instructions on the can. Just don't get it in your eyes.

Lynn
Old 07-31-2014, 07:22 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
It took us several applications of stripper and power washing to finally get all the clear coat off. By several, I mean 5 or 6. More came off each time, so that gave us the incentive to keep going. Plus, once you start, it just looks ugly until you get it all off. We tried several different brands of stripper, and aircraft stripper works about the best of all of them.

Chis
Old 07-31-2014, 07:40 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
There are two varieties of Aircraft Remover, regular and "low odor", you don't want the low odor stuff.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:03 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
Some of the clear coat may be gone already

When we stripped the clear coat off of our Safari, there were some areas where there was no clear coat left to strip. The sun had destroyed it completely.

In those areas, the aluminum had oxidized to a color that looked almost exactly like the old, dead clear coat.

If the stripper does not cause the clear coat to bubble up and loosen after a reasonable time, wash the stripper off and try polishing the area. If polishing works, the clear coat is gone.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:11 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Great point. My 72 had perhaps 5% of the clear coat left.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:55 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Lawrence , Kansas
Just a word of caution about lacquer thinner while it will cut almost anything it has a very low flash point. I once had one of my paint crews burn down a house with lacquer thinner and the flip of a light switch. I use it a lot but always with due caution.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:10 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Valparaiso , Indiana
For the ignorant can someone please tell me what the clear coat is and why it needs to be stripped off? And why it's such a PITA. Was it some sort of finish applied to AS that prevents you from restoring a mirror shine ?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 07-31-2014, 11:41 PM   #12
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Yes.. It is a plastic protective coating applied at panel manufacture (Alcoa).you must remove it in order to polish the aluminum. Or you can repair the coating is damaged and NOT polish the aluminum... Once polished, you must keep polishing...forever... Or it will oxidize... Not pretty
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:17 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I knew I had read somewhere that the coating on early trailers was a lacquer....

http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/...advice0707.pdf

I am not sure,,,, kind of an educated hunch,,, but I thinks that the alclad trailers were coated after shell assembly.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:30 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
omaha , Nebraska
Clear Coat Came off :) Now can I use Micro Glaze?

Great news and thanks for all the advice! by applying the Aircraft paint remover in the early morning out of the sun and applying generously and in a horizontal brush direction, opposite of before, we got all the clear coat off!! We also used towels to agitate the clear coat after painting in problem areas.

So, I am looking at using a Micro Glaze to help remove roof oxidation and do a quick option to protect the bare aluminium. I would apply with brushes then hand polish off with rags... I don't have time to use buffers and just want to get the black spots off the roof and kind of protect the bare aluminum. Any thoughts on this idea????

thanks,