Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-16-2007, 03:07 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Dade City , Florida
Cleaning Wool Polishing Cloths

Anyone know how to clean Nuvite off the polishing cloths? Mine are really caked with Nuvite after taking off some heavy oxidation. Can they be washed? Thanks for any help.
dbaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 03:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
cleaning

Rough 'em up with the bonnet tool, soak overnight in TSP then wash. They still make a mess of the washer.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 03:44 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Dade City , Florida
Sorry, what is "TSP"?
dbaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 03:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
haven't tried this yet, but will soon;

Vintage Trailer Supply - Vintage travel trailer parts and supplies!

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 04:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Simple Green or Potent Purple

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaur
Anyone know how to clean Nuvite off the polishing cloths?... Can they be washed? Thanks for any help.
I washed both the wool bonnets and the flannel cyclo cloths many times.

Washed them by hand a minimum of three times in a 5 gallon bucket - wash them a couple of more times if you are still getting the "black crud" out of them when you wring them out. I used knock off brands of simple green and potent purple since I washed A LOT of bonnets and polish flannels. For the really bad dirty ones I left soaking in the 5 gallon bucket overnight. Whichever cleanser you use, be sure it has a TSP (trisodiumphosphate) property as well as an organic (mineral spirit) leg to dissolve all of the nasties.

After getting as clean as reasonably possible by hand I threw them in the washing machine and then the dryer. Sometimes I ran them thru the cycle twice, but usually only once. I was sure to wash my work overalls immediately afterwards to cleanse the washer tub of any latent black oxide. I only used our regular clothing detergent (liquid) for the washer for all washes.

Never had a problem with the significant other using this scenario - even though she was none too happy with me using the washer and dryer for this.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 06:07 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Waters , Michigan
has anyone tried the 3m brand of buffing wheels? (kinda looks like egg crate) its claim to fame is less swirl marks...
PINKBIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 07:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
To loosen some of the build up during the polishing process drag a flat scewdriver (angle it away from you) on the rotating buffer. This will give you a little more useable polishing cloth before you have to wash it.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 07:16 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Sorry, what is "TSP"?
Tri Sodium Phosphate. You can find the powder at most paint stores. It is used to clean really dirty walls prior to painting. Mix with water per directions on the box. BTW TSP is not aluminum friendly, so don't us it to clean the A/S unless you rinse very well.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:29 PM   #9
73Trotter

1968 28' Ambassador
1971 29' Ambassador
Moorhead , Minnesota
I highly recommend a "buffing pad spur." I used to try to wash the pads and then used the screw driver method, but the buffing pad spur seems to work the best. Price is right as well $6.85.

Vintage Trailer Supply - Vintage travel trailer parts and supplies!
jfremstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 11:10 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Saint Helena , California
I soak the buffing pads, bonnets, and rags in hot water and a 1/4 Tide liquid (not important that it's liquid - that's just what I happen to have). I swish around the items in the bucket and let it sit for a couple of days. I dump out the nasty black water in the sink and rinse the items with hot water. Then the items go into the washing machine with a regular portion of Tide on the hot cycle. I wash twice, and haven't had any trouble with black crud residue in the washer.
bevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 09:35 PM   #11
70 Overlander

1970 27' Overlander
jacksonville , Florida
Rollerboy,
The 3m eggstyle pads are a foam pad and dont work that great unless you are doing a final polish or wax application. As far as less swirling, the only benifit is that they arent as aggresive as a wool pad, but it is going in the same motion.
The wool pads work great, to clean them let them soak in a degreaser and water mix for a day or two then spray it out with water and spin dry it on the buffer then let it sun dry if possible.
jesus mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 09:56 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
I use dish washing soap two or three times by hand, then in the washer with liquid detergent. Yes, always wash work clothes or old towels after to be sure the black stuff is gone from the washer. Otherwise...........mama will tell you not to use her washer for that nasty stuff anymore.
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 05:48 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Anyone know how to clean Nuvite off the polishing cloths? Mine are really caked with Nuvite after taking off some heavy oxidation. Can they be washed? Thanks for any help.
Go to Wal Mart buy sweat shirt and pants, a total of $10.00 and never bring then in to the house when compounding, take the off in the garage, and make the garage door is shut. When compounding is completed trash then.
Same goes for the pads and cyclo wraps. I buy compounding pads at Amazon, buying 10 pack is the best deal that I have found so far.

Never burden anybody with your mess, especially laundry mats.

Amazon.com: SM Arnold 77-375 7-1/2 Tuffer-Buffer Wool Buffing Pads (10-Pk.)
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 01:18 PM   #14
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs down Yes I Know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster
I use dish washing soap two or three times by hand, then in the washer with liquid detergent. Yes, always wash work clothes or old towels after to be sure the black stuff is gone from the washer. Otherwise...........mama will tell you not to use her washer for that nasty stuff anymore.
Tell me about it, now I got my very own Washer.....bout' a $800. mistake!!