Old 10-22-2008, 08:05 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member
2009 28' Flying Cloud
Bainbridge Island , Washington
Cleaning the roof

Hopefully a question with an obvious answer (except to me), what's the best way to clean the roof/skylight/inside the fan covers and the like. I'm a couple months into trailer ownership and have noticed pollen, etc building up that doesn't just rinse off. Does one just stand on a ladder and use a long handled brush or is it possible to get on the roof?

usa448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 08:21 AM   #2
Rivet Master
1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Ladder is best, You can get on the roof if your brave.. Best way is to use a board across the main beams and stay on the board.... Weight is an issue, don't want too much up there....

My brother in law married a Quino "SPELL" from Bainbridge....

Ladder with a soft brush should clean it...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 10:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master
1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Be sure to put padding on the ladder to prevent any damage to the Airstream. Also, be sure the angle of the ladder is correct to prevent any sliding of the ladder and possibly causing injury to a person.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:16 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Blue MicroFiber Towels

I got a bunch of MicroFiber towels at Sam's Club. Best thing in the world for gentle cleaning. My tricks - I use a stepladder that does NOT lean on the side of the A/S and I've sewn three of the towels together end to end. Wet them down and simply toss them on the roof, skylight, etc. and gently drag them back towards me. To dry, I use clean towels that have been wetted, then wrung out thoroughly. I don't "scrub" the skylight, or even the clearcoat for that matter, because the dirt can be abrasive, but just let the weight of the wet towels do the job.

Be very careful with detergents - many contain ammonia which is murder on all polycarbonates and plastics - they will make your skylight haze over. Excepting for tar, most stuff will come off of the A/S without using any detergent whatsoever. (Dried bug stuff - leave a wet towel on soaking it for 5-10 minutes.). Tar? WD-40, which I do follow up with a mild detergent solution to get the WD off.

.......... Mine is overdue now, it's definitely time to do it at least once more before the weather turns very cold.
Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote