Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-02-2010, 01:40 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Cleaning Rock Protector Panels ??

I've heard it is not wise to use Walbernize to clean the rock guards. If not, then what is a good rock guard cleaner?

Thanks,
Old 08-02-2010, 02:41 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
The rock guards are made of stainless steel. I use a stainless steel cleaner like Bar Keepers Friend which is a non-abrasive cleaner for stainless steel and many other surfaces. I purchase it at our local super market.

Dennis
dstalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:42 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
I used Walbernize on our rock protectors... once! I learned the hard way. They came out with a VERY blotchy surface. If I'm not mistaken, the protectors are stainless, not aluminum. Try using a good quality stainless polish. Maybe some others on the forum can weigh in on this.
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:50 PM   #4
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Waxes and paint sealants are not to be used on the segment protectors, a/k/a rock guards. They are stainless steel. I tried a metal cleaner on them that works on stainless in our house, but not on those. I find WD-40 cleans them well and I just leave it on. It's much easier than stainless polish and one less thing to own. It will show blotches after a while, but just spray some more on, wipe and you're ready to get out there and get more gravel dings.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 03:14 PM   #5
_

. , .
rock guards=smoked plex UPPERs...

segment protectors=brushed stainless LOWERS...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f441...tml#post872801

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.ervin View Post
I've heard it is not wise to use Walbernize to clean the rock guards...
the real question is WHY r u using walb' on ANY part of the stream?

when so MANY better products are available...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f441...ize-31480.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:15 PM   #6
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Check out the links 2air posted.

I have used Griot's Paint Sealant on all our vehicles for a couple of years and it does last a year or more. When washing, you can use their Spray On Wax afterward, but we only do so about half the time, and the vehicles look good either way. Both Griot's products are very easy to use and seem to me worth the extra money.

They are not in Oregon as stated on another thread, but in Tacoma, Washington. Once you order something from them, you will forever get catalogs from them. They have lots of nifty stuff, especially for people with OCD about their vehicles.

Gene
Old 08-02-2010, 07:34 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
Ok... I think I've got it now.... "segment protectors." Actually, I should have known that!
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:46 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Update time:

Stainless Rock (Segment) Protectors only !!!!!

I thought isopropyl alcohol was going to work but didn't. Then I tried a small bit of Turtle Wax Spray Bug and Tar and Tree Sap Remover. Looked like it worked ok so I used over all my rock panels. Panels now look great and with no streaking.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:04 PM   #9
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Bug and tar removers may have wax in them—the ones I have used do. I used the remover to get the bad stuff off the panels, but it did streak. Then I used WD 40 over that and it looked good enough to me.

I guess I see these panels as a sacrifice zone and treat them accordingly.

Gene
Old 09-08-2010, 03:30 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I too learned the hard way that Walbernize is not the thing to use on the stainless panels!

Haven't gotten around to trying anything else yet - but I will after reading this thread. I'm wondering about the spray stainless cleaner that does such a good job on our Weber BBQ!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:56 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
I too learned the hard way that Walbernize is not the thing to use on the stainless panels!

Haven't gotten around to trying anything else yet - but I will after reading this thread. I'm wondering about the spray stainless cleaner that does such a good job on our Weber BBQ!

Brian
Brian,
Check out the link 2air put in post #5 above. He uses a spray SS cleaner. Link title is "polishing rock guard"
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote