Old 08-28-2007, 07:20 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2006 Safari SE
Everson , Washington
Cleaning Plexiglass without scratching

I have an 06 SE 19ft Bambi with the big front windows covered by plexiglass shields. Does anyone have suggestions on cleaning these very scratch prone window covers?

Many thanks

pagoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 07:53 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member
2007 27' Safari FB SE
I have cleaned my panels with a running hose, a bucket with lots of car wash soap and a very soft wash mit which I rinse frequently. I would never use anything like paper towel and glass cleaner given the amount of dirt the windows collect. You would just be smearing the dirt around.

SilverCottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 08:41 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
Mirror GlazeĀ® Clear Plastic Cleaner M1708 Product Information
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 08:41 AM   #4
The Hawk's Lair
1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Paper will actually scratch plastic, (as in plexi-glass). Don't use paper towels. Use running water to flood dirt and particles off the surface using your hands to gently loosen grime. Soft cotton rags can be used to polish it clean after all grit is washed off.
There is no "I" in the word "team," but there are four in "Platitude Quoting Idiot!"

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:14 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
2006 Safari SE
Everson , Washington
Cleaning Plexiglas

Thanks for the help.

pagoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:23 PM   #6
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Mirrow glaze and a cotton cloth.
Michelle TAC MT-0
Sarah, Snowball

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master
1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Mirror Glaze Cleaner or Polish

Mirror Glaze (now owned by Meguire's...) makes both a plexiglass cleaner and a polish. They're very similar, and have been used on aircraft canopies and windshields for years.. Start with water and gentle liq soap and flush gritty stuff off, and then use Mirror Glaze to finish cleaning... Polish is a little stronger than the cleaner...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:58 PM   #8
Rivet Master
1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
They sell a kit at the Sears Hardware stores specially design just for this application. Like the other posters said. You have to get all the big grit off first with lots of water to prevent scratching. Then you use the finer and finer polishs in the kit to give a polished surface. When you look thru it after you are finished you usually do see some distortion from the uneven polish you achieve unless you are really careful.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 02:35 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Avoid Ammonia!

DO NOT use Windex or any other detergent containing Ammonia. Over time, the ammonia will etch the surface of the plexi (or any other plastic). If you ever look at a car that is six or seven years old, you'll probably note that the headlight covers are like frosted glass. That's a combination of road crud, car washes, etc. Definitely worth using a product designed for plexi/plastic.

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 02:48 PM   #10
Rivet Master
1985 27' Sovereign
Defiance , Ohio
I use a product called Plexis on all my M.C. plexiglass and plastic body panels. It is the best I've ever used. It is nonabrasive ansd will clean the oxididation also. Try any M.C. shop. Keep Smilin! LJH
LJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 05:30 PM   #11
Rivet Master
1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
I don't look like a happy motorcyclist

There's an old joke that goes, "How can you spot a happy motorcylist?"

Answer: "The bugs on his teeth!"

buh-dum-bah. (I'll keep my day job)

My motorcyle face-sheild gets a lot of bug splats. When the bug collection gets too intense, I lay a water soaked paper towel on it, and come back in a while, and remove the paper towel. Sometimes I have to repeat. No wiping of any consequence involved. The shield on my 15 year old Arai helmet still looks great.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1752WP.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	44007  
1967 Airstream Overlander International
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 05:38 PM   #12
Rivet Master
1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The bad headlight covers you see on 6 to 10 year old cars are made from Polycarbonate plastic not acrylic. The grade they use does degrade with time and become yellow and frosted. There is a product sold in automotive stores to polish away this degraded material. It is not the same product sold for the acylic plastic I mentioned before but it works in a similar fashion. The product for headlights also comes with a coating material you put on the lamps after you have polished out the frosty surface. This coating will protect from UV degradation for a number of years. The polycarbonate kit is more expensive and there will not be enough material in it to treat a whole front window shield.

dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote