Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2012, 12:11 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2012 20' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
Cleaning Off Aphid Poo

We've had a really wet summer up here and the aphid population has been thriving. Our driveway is very narrow and the only place for us to store our trailer is under a birch tree, which the aphids have chosen as their home. Unfortunately, they are not potty trained and leave a huge mess of sticky goo everywhere. With the cooler weather we are getting, the aphids are finally dying off but they have left our trailer a mess.

Our beloved Airstream goes into storage next week, so this weekend is pamper the Airstream weekend: clean and winterize. I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a gentle cleaner that would take care of this sticky, nasty mess?
RedDogBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Denver , Colorado
More Bugs

Had almost the same problem when we got back from our trip to the southern states ( LOVE BUGS ) Many love bugs. All over the front of TV and AS. I found that Rain ex bug and tar remover worked very well. I liked it because it would not hurt the clear coat on both units. It's a spray gel that stays on the surface, leave on about 10-15 mins. Use a micro fiber cloth towel and start rubbing. After a few coats it was all nice and clean.
Jim
Old 09-28-2012, 01:55 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1993 36' Land Yacht
jackson , Tennessee
I discovered an amazing product through a boating friend. Marina stored boats attract spiders in hoards. Their poop (which can't be much different than aphids) is a big problem. Try a product named Totally Awesome. I get it at Dollar General. Very inexpensive. Very, very effective. Spray on and wipe off. It is better than anything I have found yet.
bukib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by bukib View Post
I discovered an amazing product through a boating friend. Marina stored boats attract spiders in hoards. Their poop (which can't be much different than aphids) is a big problem. Try a product named Totally Awesome. I get it at Dollar General. Very inexpensive. Very, very effective. Spray on and wipe off. It is better than anything I have found yet.
I love that product also, but have found that is actually is so strong it will dissolve some paints and harm some surfaces. I would use it with great care on any clear coated Airstream. Now, I have not tried it on the clearcoat, but know it can damage some things.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
I love that product also, but have found that is actually is so strong it will dissolve some paints and harm some surfaces. I would use it with great care on any clear coated Airstream. Now, I have not tried it on the clearcoat, but know it can damage some things.
Sorry for the hijack, but will it work on a fiberglass shower? I've got the nastiest water stains and none of the lime-away type products work well enough.

Paula
Old 09-28-2012, 03:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
First, what have you tried so far.

Shooting from the hip -- aphids produce a lot of sugar in their discharge. Had a silver maple over our driveway cut down in 2012. The maple drippings were very hard to get off once they'd baked on the car -- maybe a couple of washings could put a dent in it. We have a honeysuckle by our front step and the aphid crap doesn't just hose off of the porous concrete.

I'd probably just recommend bathing your baby a couple times with soap & water.

We have a highbush cranberry that always draws aphids -- amazing to watch the big black ants farm them. Our honeysuckle is long past blooming but had dozens of yellow jackets around it this warm afternoon -- going after the aphid sugar I am sure.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:01 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1993 36' Land Yacht
jackson , Tennessee
Totally Awesome is all we use on the shower in our 93 Land Yacht MH. Like using RED MAX Pro, I am completely convinced.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:06 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1993 36' Land Yacht
jackson , Tennessee
BTW...it is also perfect for vinyl or leather upholstery. At the risk of being taken as a schill for this product, i have no interest in it whatsoever other than as a user. The people who turned me on to it have their 28 foot premier pontoon in the slip next to mine. When i saw what it did i immediately brought three gallons (10 bucks) and did the boat and the rv.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:34 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2012 20' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
Thanks everyone for all the ideas. I called Airstream customer service at Jackson Center for recommendations also. They suggested mild dish detergent and then using Simple Green on the really tough spots. We spent 4 hours scrubbing her down with a mild dish detergent and used Extreme Simple Green Motorsports Cleaner and Degreaser. It did a fabulous job! Our once black roof is now sparkling white and the sticky aphid goo came off the skin with no problems. Wish I had before and after pictures...forgot to take the "before".

We'll be winterizing tomorrow.
RedDogBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:42 AM   #10
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Sorry for the hijack, but will it work on a fiberglass shower? I've got the nastiest water stains and none of the lime-away type products work well enough.

Paula
You might try the same toilet bowl cleaner you use at home for cleaning the fiberglass.

I've posted this idea a couple of times in different threads, but once you've got your shower clean, try waxing it with a spray-on automotive wax. I got the idea from a book on sailboat maintenance, and it works well; water just beads up and rolls off the walls. Don't wax the floor of the shower, though, just the walls/door and ceiling.