Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2008, 04:56 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' International CCD
St. Pete Beach , Florida
Cleaning?

Can anyone suggest the best products/methods for just standard, exterior AS washing after a weekend of adventure? We live in Florida and there's lots of salty, sea breeze around....we're wanting to keep her pretty.
salvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 05:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Others will chime in and there are alot of personal choices - OK now that the disclaimer is there...... I use Turtle Wax Car Wash concentrate, mix it in a bucket and use a clean car wash sponge from Walmart. Works well for me.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 05:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Check this

Before....a trip I washed the truck with the Turtle wax wash. Some splashed onto the polished Caravel. I just left the spots , dried the truck, and off I went. I did see spots on the polish but figured it would wipe off. WRONG!!!
I have tried all...even down to Nuvite F9 ( and the Cyclo) Met-al and a few others. I still have the spots. I have resolved that I am stuck till its aged (multiple annual polishes) a few years. Am I griped!!
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 05:48 PM   #4
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
walbernize is the airstream prefered cleaner. I use water and a wet towel. No soap. A rinse after a trip to the beach should be fine.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 09:16 PM   #5
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by salvarez
Can anyone suggest the best products/methods for just standard, exterior AS washing after a weekend of adventure? We live in Florida and there's lots of salty, sea breeze around....we're wanting to keep her pretty.
hi salvarez and welcome to the forums!

ther is an entire subforum on these issues...

more than most would wanna read!

here are a few threads to get ya started

http://www.airforums.com/forums/sear...earchid=936142

keep in mind YOUR unit has the alcoa clearcoat NOT the plasticoat from years past...

ANY quality auto wash can be used, followed by ANY quality auto wax/sealant/detail spray...

imo walbernize isn't very good on newer units and YOUR owners manual doesn't recommend it either...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 09:20 PM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We live three houses off the ocean, and have always washed Lucy after each trip. We use whatever kind of dish soap is under the kitchen sink at the time.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 10:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
keep in mind YOUR unit has the alcoa clearcoat NOT the plasticoat from years past...
2air, (or anyone else that knows)
When did they switch over? I did a search, you are the only person I even saw that addressed it, and didn't find when the process changed.
Most just refer to all clearcoat as just that - clearcoat, without any distinction as to what kind.
Thanks, Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:28 AM   #8
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
...When did they switch over?...
the switch to alcoa applied clearcoat was in 99

the plasticoat used prior to this was applied AFTER contruction by the a/s factory...

that coating went through at least 3 formulations, each more environmentally friendly...

and less durable.

the plasticoat (prior to 99) was a softer but thicker application and could be replaced by vendors...

the current clearcoat can only be replaced by replacing the aluminum panel...

here's a couple'a links 4 ya...

Alcoa: Worldwide: Markets: Automotive: Customer Successes: Airstream Travel Trailers

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f441...oat-18760.html

advance search using 'alcoa clearcoat' and my forum name and 30 threads with bits of this info will appear...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:33 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Thanks 2air.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:29 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
2air- So what is the recommended method of sealing a small scratch in the clearcoat? Just let the wax protect it or use some sort of touch up sealer?
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:28 AM   #11
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam
..So what is the recommended method of sealing a small scratch in the clearcoat? Just let the wax protect it or use some sort of touch up sealer?
hi wayne&sam...

yes to either approach....

it can be handled like a car paint scratch...

clean, and fill with clear nail polish, clear touch up paint or masked and sprayed...

imo these fixes often look worse than the defect...

so i usually use a wax/sealant or anticorrosion spray...

here are more detailed answers from other threads on this topic...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/481374-post8.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/473677-post5.html

and jack's experience using a touch up approach; starting at about post 24...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f474...2-a-16344.html

while my unit has some tiny patches of filiform corrosion, like many others here...

you have seen this thread right? http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...ams-31743.html

none of the spots are in waxed/treated scratches. they are exclusively in small regions i failed to wax early on

because my arms got tired

cheers
2air'

Old 01-14-2008, 11:35 AM   #12
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I wash with Armor All car wash and as the factory suggested back in 2004, Walbernize. I agree it does not seem to last too long if the unit is kept outdoors, but mine is kept indoors most of the time and I can get a whole season of protection with one or two coats throughout the season.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:59 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
We live three houses off the ocean, and have always washed Lucy after each trip. We use whatever kind of dish soap is under the kitchen sink at the time.
I will wash a vehicle with Dawn to remove the wax. Are you re-waxing after each wash?
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 04:03 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Thanks 2air. I just want to protect a small scratch so it doesn't start a major corrosion issue. I've waxed it for the winter and will see what happens in the spring.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 12:15 PM   #15
Hawkeyes & Harleys

2006 16' International CCD
Las Cruces , New Mexico
I have tried many ways to get bugs off after a trip - they all work "with the proper amount of elbow grease". Just discovered a really easy way to remove bugs, road tar etc. I start by washing the area using the Mr. Clean Autodry Carwash system but the real secret is the Mr. Clean "Magic Eraser". Hit it with water, then soap, light rag to get the large stuff off, rinse, then the eraser, another rinse and finally the autodry. Sounds difficult but really very simple. Used the Magic Eraser on the front of the TV and saved about an hour of scrubbing the old way.
HOG-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 01:06 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Columbus , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOG-I
I have tried many ways to get bugs off after a trip - they all work "with the proper amount of elbow grease". Just discovered a really easy way to remove bugs, road tar etc. I start by washing the area using the Mr. Clean Autodry Carwash system but the real secret is the Mr. Clean "Magic Eraser". Hit it with water, then soap, light rag to get the large stuff off, rinse, then the eraser, another rinse and finally the autodry. Sounds difficult but really very simple. Used the Magic Eraser on the front of the TV and saved about an hour of scrubbing the old way.
I love Magic Erasers for household use. Did you use it on the A/S too or just the TV? Aren't the Magic Erasers a bit gritty? No scratching?
Old 04-12-2008, 12:40 PM   #17
Hawkeyes & Harleys

2006 16' International CCD
Las Cruces , New Mexico
I used it on the Airstream and did not see any scratching. It takes very little pressure and even though the box says use on alu. wheels but not on car paint I did not see any marks on the TV. The Eraser when wet is pretty soft. I may regret it but so far so good.
HOG-I is offline   Reply With Quote