Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2006, 06:31 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1980 20' Caravelle
Currently Looking...
Coeur d alene , Idaho
Car Wax on Airstream?

I use Meguiar's GOLD CLASS liquid car wax on my cars and really like it. Is there any problem using it on my 1980 Caravelle? Thanks, Don
glacierrunne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 07:44 PM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by glacierrunne
I use Meguiar's GOLD CLASS liquid car wax on my cars and really like it. Is there any problem using it on my 1980 Caravelle? Thanks, Don
Don, there's aproduct that is supposedly formulated for the clearcoat of an Airstream it's called 'Walbernize".
I believe that your Gold Class wax will work very well also, but might not last as long. The Walbernize seems to give a good and long lasting protective finish on clear coated Airstream finishes.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:24 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1980 20' Caravelle
Currently Looking...
Coeur d alene , Idaho
Uwe, I bought some Walbernize and tried it on a small spot and didn't shine up the area much so I'd thought I'd try my wax and see if it looks better. I see turtle wax has a new product called ICE, I'll wait and see the results from other memebers. Thanks, Don
Old 06-17-2006, 09:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
I've used the Gold on my Airstream, and it worked okay, and I often use Meguiar's cleaner and wax on my Airstream, as well as on my truck and wife's car. I think either will work just fine.

I've used Walbernize on my Airstream, and it just seemed so-so to me. I think all the hype it gets from Airstreamer's is pretty much the same as those old wives tales - something that's been passed down from generation to generation, and before you know it, it's passed off as fact.

John
Old 06-17-2006, 10:46 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1980 20' Caravelle
Currently Looking...
Coeur d alene , Idaho
John, I agree with you on the hype thing-- it's a marketing job. I'll like to hear about Turtle Wax ICE! Thanks, Don
Old 06-18-2006, 12:29 AM   #6
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Waxing

I agree with flyfisher.

I just waxed my 25 with turtle wax emerald and it did a heck of a job. I had a friend come by with out mentioning a word and he right away noticed..."did you wax your TT?" yep, "looks like new"!

And the bugs and bird poop come off easier with waxing.

For what it's worth.

R/
Safari-Rick

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 06:59 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Rejex

When I first got my CCD, I read all of the threads and got some Walnernize . Atfer applying it so a small spot of the trailer, I really didn't like the finish, but thought that I should give it a try. I ended up polishing half with Walbernize and the other half with Rejex, which is a polymer product that I have been using on a regular basis since my MoHo days. It is available from www.corrosionx.com.

That was in Jan. After looking at the A/S yesterday as I get it ready for my trip, the Walbernize side is not as bright as the Rejex side, and the water beads are not as distinct......almost non-existent. I would say that I prefer the Rejex and will re-do the T/T as soon as I have the time. The CCD is stored outside, so it is a pretty good indicator of who expect. Plus, the Rejex makes it far easier to remove tar and bugs, from prior experience of owning a bug magnet (also known as a motor home).
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 07:06 AM   #8
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
I had excellent results with the Walbernize Super Seal and Glaze. Water kept beading and rolling right off the surface for close to a year. You might have a point on it's shine, but I was more concerned about protecting what was left of the clear coat on the 71.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:13 AM   #9
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
When I first got my CCD, I read all of the threads and got some Walnernize . Atfer applying it so a small spot of the trailer, I really didn't like the finish, but thought that I should give it a try. I ended up polishing half with Walbernize and the other half with Rejex, which is a polymer product that I have been using on a regular basis since my MoHo days. It is available from www.corrosionx.com.

That was in Jan. After looking at the A/S yesterday as I get it ready for my trip, the Walbernize side is not as bright as the Rejex side, and the water beads are not as distinct......almost non-existent. I would say that I prefer the Rejex and will re-do the T/T as soon as I have the time. The CCD is stored outside, so it is a pretty good indicator of who expect. Plus, the Rejex makes it far easier to remove tar and bugs, from prior experience of owning a bug magnet (also known as a motor home).
Lew,
The Rejex sounds promising to protect my newly polished 63. Plus, it says that it is available at True Value hardware stores now. There's on of those close to work. Will definitely try this, as it says it is formulated to stick to chrome and polished metals. Thanks for the link.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:32 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Person County , North Carolina
Gold Class

I used the Meguiar's gold class on my 2005 Safari. It's what I had on hand as this is what I use on my vehicles. The Meguiar's did a fine job and that's probably what I'll continue continue to use.

I think the manual says to use an automotive type liquid or paste wax. I know lots of folks here use Walbernize and have excellent results.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 11:47 AM   #11
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I take care of the Airstream much I have taken care of all my other vehicles over the years.

I use lots of Meguiars "quick detail" with frequent washings. I find I can postpone the heavy rubouts. My trailer is 18 months old and the sides have only had the Quick Detail and look great. I did have to get on the roof and rub it out with cleaner wax to get a nice white shiny surface.

When the sides start to look oily or dingy, then I'll go with some automotive cleaner wax.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 01:11 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
Lew,
The Rejex sounds promising to protect my newly polished 63. Plus, it says that it is available at True Value hardware stores now. There's on of those close to work. Will definitely try this, as it says it is formulated to stick to chrome and polished metals. Thanks for the link.
I use it on just about every surface....especially the windshield and window glass. I like it's water repelling action and I find that at highway speeds I don't need the wipers on as the water blows right off the glass!

Just be sure to follow the directions and have a place out of the sun to let it dry. It also has 'cure' for 12 hours with no water on it. An added benefit is that it wipes off very easily with almost no effort......wax-on/wax-off!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 01:19 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I used Turtle wax and Meguir's until i doscovered the Liquid Glass polymer sealant, thru someone here who used it on his boat. It holds up much longer than wax, and is very hard, a it cures in the sun.
It had been great on keeping my clearcoat and bare areas sealed. I stripped the lower area on my Moho to the bare aluminum, and sealed it with LG, it held up and shined well for about 10-12 months. One can did my 28' more than two times.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 02:47 PM   #14
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Be careful what you use if you trailer is still clearcoated.
Some of the waxes are high in silicone and can interact with the clearcoat, softening over time. Leads to peeling.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 10:13 PM   #15
_

. , .
Quote:
well don, if there is any plasticcoat left on the 80s trailer....use whatever you want!

the plasticoat on that vintage had more 'plasticizers' in it so using the original walbernize.....is the ticket.....
since it is high in plasticizers.....
which is supposed to help...
but it will not be very shinny....
if the plasticoat is 20+ years old regardless.....
is that the original application or has it been recoated?

on newer 'alcoa' applied' clearcoat trailers any car wax is fine.....
for those of you that like meguiars products......
i've been using their polymer sealant product.....
looks great on silver and the last application has 8-9 months on it and still looks fresh.....

the silicone/siloxianes in modern auto wax will not hurt clearcoat or plastic coat....

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 11:34 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

So what do you use, or think is safe, for late-model clearcoated A/Ss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
Some of the waxes are high in silicone and can interact with the clearcoat, softening over time. Leads to peeling.
2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 PSD PWRSTRK,
and Brittany, the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
PWRSTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 11:17 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1980 20' Caravelle
Currently Looking...
Coeur d alene , Idaho
2air', My Caravelle was recoated in 1996, but is peeling again. Since I bought a bottle of Walbernize I will use it and then decide my next move. The roof is really peeling so I'll give it a second coat in a few days, but the sides look fine with the first time over.Thanks Gang for all the input---I would still like to hear about Turtle Wax "Ice", Don
Old 06-22-2006, 12:04 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Inside out posted in another thread some waxing info from her 63 owners manual and in addition to the now not available glass wax ,It did talk about car wax as a good idea for protection ,didn't say walbernize .But then it is a
product used on airstreams in the past .Most car waxes I have used never attack any clear coat that i know of ,mothers,meguires ,etc. especially
are of very high quality .High tech yellow wax ,or banana wax its sometimes called ,kinda smells like it , is very good and easy to use.

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 08:22 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
I have just started using a wax product from Eagle One called Nanowax - in a spray bottle. It is absolutely spectacular on our car and truck. We are about to take delivery of a new 2008 AS and wanted to see if anyone thought Nanowax would be appropriate for the AS. Ingredients include water, Ethylene Glycol and Glycol Ether. Any help appreciated!
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 08:54 PM   #20
_

. , .
hi nilesrob

any wax that is safe for auto clearcoats is safe on the alcoa clearcoat.

the issue is how often do you wanna wax it?

my preference is for a polysealant because they last so much longer and are more resistant to washing...

so IF i took delivery on a new unit tomorrow...

-i'd instruct the dealer NOT to wash it (they will not be as careful as i)

-wash, solvent, clay and wash again. now it's really clean.

-apply 2 coats of a poly sealant like meguair's #20 or 21, menzerna fmj, or klasse poly sealant.

there are others too.

the nano wax spray or carnanuba waxes can be applied OVER the sealants for extra shine if desired.

these waxes only last a few weeks. the sealants can last up to a year depending on conditions.

imo these poly sealants are the ONLY way to prevent/delay the inevitable corrosion issue.

and they look great too!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote