Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2009, 05:52 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
2001 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 300 hp w/slide
Helotes , Texas
Smile

I stripped just above the belt line on my 1995 Excella with Removal 220. I did not take the lens off nor did I mask anything. Painted it in waited 2-3 hours power washed it off, and it looks GREAT. I applied Maquires Gold paste wax left it on overnight and buffed it out, Put on new letters and ready to go. Did it all in 2 days, Hope you are as happy afterwards as we are.

Good Luck
lsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:09 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
That Does It!

Well after seeing what a great job you did...I am going to apply the Removal 220 to our "78" Ambassador tomorrow and hope for the same results. Do you think it is necessary to use a power washer or will a garden hose suffice. I'm hesitant to be blasting high pressure onto the exterior shell. Great job!

Bob
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 05:59 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
2001 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 300 hp w/slide
Helotes , Texas
I used a power washer because I have my water pressure regulated down to 35 psi for my irrigation system. I also removed some faded blue tape at the top of the trailer
lsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:41 AM   #24
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
Send a message via MSN to dufferin
I did mine with water hose and it was enough...
dufferin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 05:44 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Columbus , Indiana
thank you for the compliments... We bought 2 containers of Removall 220 and honestly, our 31' could have used just one. We have plenty left over. We applied the stripper as directed with a natural brush on the sides and lower and an extended roller on the top. Let it sit for 3-4 hours and used a pressure washer to remove. We did have a few areas that needed a second coat - so we just reapplied everywhere for round two (it really goes on easy).
After stripping the second time we cleaned her up and hence the photo that you see.
I should say that we did remove what was left of the blue beltline, all plastic lenses, etc. before stripping. I didn't want to take the chance that I would need to replace all of these.
The very top of our Sovereign had very little clear coat remaining - and as a result, oxidation. You can see in the bottom photo the oxidation. Our plan now is to use Mothers Aluminum Polish on a random orbital auto buffer to remove/minimize the oxidation. We have tried a few areas and it appears to REALLY work. Once we get the oxidation under control and make sure that the lightly polished top blends well with the unpolished sides and shoulders - we plan to wax with a carnuaba paste wax to eliminate future oxidation.
I have read that we may then need to wax a couple of times per year after the first time - but that doesn't scare me too much at this point. The bottom line is we were looking for some way to clean up the exterior of our AS without the expense ($3000 - $6000) for a full polish or the countless hours needed to polish ourselves. We have only owned our AS for 20 days and the list of time consuming projects grows daily (a labor of love!) We didn't want to put everything else on hold to embark on a full polishing project.
ryan3326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 06:57 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

Ryan 3326...Last night I went to Home Depot looking for 220Removal, But they never heard of it? Is it under another brand name? or what is the correct name? How much did you buy? Quart cans...gallon cans?? What about awnings,did you cover,protect them? I saw some one covered windows with garbage bags and tape them. Should I remove the front window awning guards (the dark ones)? Thanks ..Airstreamhobo
Ford Diesel Van "The Obie Van"
WBCCI #2590
TAC PA-2
https://airstreamhobo.blogspot.com/
airstreamhobo is offline   Reply With Quote