Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2009, 07:15 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Bumper Polish - Final Mirror Step?

Took the bumper off to work in the storage area and straighten the bumper (PO backed into a pole and bowed it in about an inch).

With the straightening done - did something I may regret. Decided I needed a polishing fix after 3 years of working on everything else. Going to call it my inspiration bumper.

Problem - can't seem to get the final mirror finish on it. Good reflection but you can't comb your hair in it.

Used truck box polish first - then Mothers Power polish - then Mothers Mag polish on a palm buffer. It still has a haze to it....

Any thoughts on what to use? Hate to order anything else like Nuvite and then just have to store most of it. Maybe Turtle Wax polishing compound?

Thanks.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream 182.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	84800  
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:19 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
sounds like your gonna want to use a serious rubbing compound...at least it will knock down the surface some more and might break through to fresher metal...then polish with mothers...we use 'gravel in a bottle' by 3M 'super rubbing compound...about 15 $ a quart...and thats alot of compound, and lastly it works. Our bumper is foggy some but it won't shine like the aluminum on the AS!
Old 08-01-2009, 08:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Is this the product your talking about..

3M SUPER DUTY RUBBING COMPOUND - Rubbing Compounds by Discount Marine Supplies

Maybe that's the question I should have asked - will the bumper polish out like the skin and apparently it will not...

Thanks for the tip....
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 09:32 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Ganglin: I've got to watch this thread. I posted one a few days ago under bumpers. Almost the same. I found that unless you seal it---somehow, it will dull quickly. I got one reply---said to wax it with paste wax.

Randy
OB Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:03 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
is this it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin View Post
Is this the product your talking about..

3M SUPER DUTY RUBBING COMPOUND - Rubbing Compounds by Discount Marine Supplies

Maybe that's the question I should have asked - will the bumper polish out like the skin and apparently it will not...

Thanks for the tip....
Yes thats the stuff, we get ours from R&E supply...you ought to get it and use it anyway for the AS. We use it first pass which really gives the metal a great workout...then we take kerosene and wipe off most of the oxidation, then we let it sit for 15 or so minutes so the kerosene will evaporate some. Then we dab Mothers onto it and repolish...the remaining kerosene keeps the mothers wet for a little while longer and turns black again...then instead of wiping off the black again, we flip the pads and polish to a brilliant shine.