Old 05-31-2005, 03:15 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Orange , California
Buff Buff Buff!!

OK- I am polishing my 63 with Lucas Oil Metal Polish and Mother's. I'm new at this exterior stuff, so here are a few ??
1. Is it OK to use 4000 Ultra Fine steel wool to remove pits?
2. How about those deep scratch marks? Is there anything that will help with that?
3. Do I need a grittier polish than the Lucas Oil stuff to really get in there?

I was using 3M 111, but it wasn't cutting it enough...

Teresa

Old 05-31-2005, 03:24 PM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjj's63
OK- I am polishing my 63 with Lucas Oil Metal Polish and Mother's. I'm new at this exterior stuff, so here are a few ??
1. Is it OK to use 4000 Ultra Fine steel wool to remove pits?
2. How about those deep scratch marks? Is there anything that will help with that?
3. Do I need a grittier polish than the Lucas Oil stuff to really get in there?

I was using 3M 111, but it wasn't cutting it enough...

Teresa
Teresa,

Are you trying to achieve a super deep glossy finish, or just tryng to spiff up the trailer a bit? Are yo using machines or are you buffing by hand?
Can youdo a search on polishing on this forum? It will give you many, many pages of info on polishing, and the different mothods.
A good starting poit is here:
www.perfectpolish.com
This site has a basic overview on how to polish an Airstream, and what would be appropriate to use.
If you're real careful, you can use super fine abrasives to smooth out nicks and scratches a bit, but be gentle so you won't create new prolblems.
I have had decent results with 1000grit paper, using it wet.
Again, a search of the forums will reveal many methods, opinions and products that would work for you.

Old 05-31-2005, 03:46 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Orange , California
I was using a waxer/buffer and by hand with the mother's, but I just got ahold of the real deal today- what a difference!!!! And what a waste of my weekend without it! just ran it over an area and it is almost to mirror... i would like to get to the deep and glossy, but manpower/hours limits me a bit. I want it ready by friday, of course! when i used 1500 sandpaper, it made whirls that were hard to get out. i may have been a little too aggressive.
Thanks for your help!
teresa
Old 06-01-2005, 08:32 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

The sanding should all be done in a horizontal motion, and never circles, as it will defintely cause swirls.

Steel wool should not be used as it impregnates itself into the aluminum and will eventually rust- 3M has synthetic Scotchbrite pads which are used on metal instead.

Testing the sandpaper from 1500 to 1200 to 1000 to 800 to 600 will show you what you need to start with to remove scratches and other damage. Starting with the highest (finer) and working your way into coarser will allow you to do the least recovery from the scratches from the wet sanding.

The fellows that work on the planes and trailers at my local airport have fallen in love with Aqua Buff, and its very easy on the pads, which seem to be a major expense. The AB costs the same for a gallon as a pint of nuvite.

Good luck!