Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2004, 12:43 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Baghdad , Iraq
Send a message via MSN to Airstream 1975!
Thumbs up Blue Magic

I just got off the phone with P & S Travel Trailer Service in Helena, Ohio. They fix a lot of damaged Airstreams and polish them too. They charge about $200. per foot. ($5400.00 for my 27' ) This includes stripping plasticoat, polishing to a mirror finish, re-applying the plasticoat, sanding the tongue and exposed frame portions and repainting, painting the A/C shroud, and all of the Airstream letters. They also sell a do it yourself kit for $650.00. This includes the model 5 cyclopolisher, the bonnets, and all of the polish. He says it is more than enough to do my 27'.He includes instructions and call him anytime you like for guidance. They use a product called blue magic. He says that once you strip the trailer, you apply the blue magic with the cyclo. The more you work it, the more it shines. Kind of a one step process after the stripping. It may be less expensive than nuvite at $48.00lb. Here is the web address: http://www.pandstrailerservice.com/index.htm Has anyone used blue magic?
Airstream 1975! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 02:21 PM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
I have not heard of the blue magic, but my friend is an aircraft technician, and he says they used a one step polish on air buffers to polish replacement panels etc. and the leading edges of the wings.
Old 04-27-2004, 02:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
http://www.bluemagic.com/

Not listed on their website though. A Google brings it up in many car care sites though.

I have seen it in auto parts stores. They make a line of RV care products that is in all the catalogs.

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 02:55 PM   #4
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Found this, basically the same as above post:
http://bluelightning.zoovy.com/category/detail/
Old 04-27-2004, 04:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Exclamation "leaves a silicone film to protect the finish?"

From the forelisted website describing Blue Magic:

"Its highly effective formula instantly removes oxidation, tarnish and dirt while polishes, leaving a silicone film to protect the finish."

With all the discussion regarding silicone on the aluminum, such as in using silicone for sealing windows improperly as opposed to Parbond and Vulkem, since it's been mentioned that it's tough to get anything to stick once silicone has been there, I guess this might give me some pause in considering a purchase....

On the other hand... these guys have been doing this for many years, so I guess they'd know....?

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 11:28 PM   #6
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Thumbs up

Ahhh ... the joy of Blue Magic.

At my last and final job .. as the Sales Manager for The Brassworks .. we used Blue Magic to touch up the polished brass and German Silver radiators before shipping.

Tip: When polishing ... use a t-shirt type cloth (no nap) to avoid hairline scratches.

I have used a lot of metal polishes over the past 30 years ... Blue Magic always provided the best reults.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 06:31 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Baghdad , Iraq
Porky, do you think Blue Magic metal polish would give good results on an Airstream? How does it compare to Nuvite or Rolite? Is it really a one step polish? If it is, it could really be a time saver as compared to the others. It is less expensive than Nuvite and Rolite. Rob
Old 04-29-2004, 10:52 AM   #8
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
I tried this on a small test spot on my 345's alcoa wheels. Seemed to do a nice job. I used it only because I had it in my garage and wanted to what those wheel "might" look like after a polish. Never thought about trying it on the AS itself. Might need to give it a whirl.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 11:21 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Baghdad , Iraq
Hi Steve, The guys I talked to in Ohio say it is one step. No need for all the abrasives, thus saving time. I think I could do better buying the cyclo and needed pads and bonnets plus the Blue Magic than $650. Just kind of skeptical. A lot of people use the Nuvite and Rolite products with great results. But they also talk about all of the multiple steps of compounding and weeks of polishing to get the results they desire. If you could get the desired results in just one step why doesn't everyone use it? Kind of a "wonder polish". Rob
Old 04-29-2004, 01:21 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
funny, I ran out of "Mothers mag and aluminum polish" and bought some of that Blue Magic at WalMart last weekend. It did a nice job on my bumpers.I sealed them when through, with Liquid Glass to hold the shine. I did it by hand though, no buffer.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 01:38 PM   #11
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Well I'm willing to try it. I have failing clearcoat and have planned to strip and polish the nose within the next few weeks. Not sure if the MH will require wet sanding first to remove the "grain" but suspect it will. It certainly worked well cleaning up the wheel using a 9" Snap-On polisher/buffer. If it works then great, if not then I can drop back to the tried and true.

alan - where did you get the liquid glass?
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 01:39 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I would have to say that if P&S uses it - it has to be pretty good - P&S has been polishing a long long time, is highly recommended by the factory and does a really great job.

My first Airstream was polished by them.

Gonna have to see if I can find some.

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 02:06 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream 1975!
Hi Steve, The guys I talked to in Ohio say it is one step. No need for all the abrasives, thus saving time. I think I could do better buying the cyclo and needed pads and bonnets plus the Blue Magic than $650. Just kind of skeptical. A lot of people use the Nuvite and Rolite products with great results. But they also talk about all of the multiple steps of compounding and weeks of polishing to get the results they desire. If you could get the desired results in just one step why doesn't everyone use it? Kind of a "wonder polish". Rob
It would seem to me, the difference between "one step polishes" and Nuvite, Rolite, Tripoli/Rouge or other processes which use abrasive compounds or pads vs a "one step polish" is that the "one step polish" will probably remove oxidation and make the surface shinier...no problem. They will not however remove scratches, dings or corrosion, just polish them. Yes, very light scratches may appear to be removed, they probably are with the slight abrasive effect of the cloth applying the polish. But to truly remove deeper surface scratches and acheive a "mirror-like finish" you must smooth the metal with some sort of abrasive...either compound or pad.

If you look very closely at the front of your trailer where the rocks fly up & hit it, you will notice that every little "ding" is actually a crater with a ridge around it...this ridge is what Nuvite, Rolite, Tripoli or abrasive pads remove...a topical solution without any abrasives will not get rid of the surfface imperfections....it will just clean it.

Depending on the beginning condition of your skin and the desired end result..."one step products" may be the way to go. However if you are looking for a true "mirror-finish" that is acheived on many vintage trailers, I'm afraid there aren't many shortcuts...you gotta smooth out that metal somehow.

Just my 2-cents...

I too wonder about the effect of using silicone products on aluminum like coriolis1 mentioned earlier...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 02:21 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Baghdad , Iraq
Shari, You are right when you say there are no short cuts. Which is why I am questioning it. I think I will do the right thing and use the Rolite products: pre-polish, metal polish and the ap-300. for the first go-round. Maybe then I will use Blue Magic to maintain the final finish. Sound good? I don't want to waste my time. I'd rather be successful the first time.Rob
Old 04-29-2004, 02:34 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream 1975!
Shari, You are right when you say there are no short cuts. Which is why I am questioning it. I think I will do the right thing and use the Rolite products: pre-polish, metal polish and the ap-300. for the first go-round. Maybe then I will use Blue Magic to maintain the final finish. Sound good? I don't want to waste my time. I'd rather be successful the first time.Rob
Sounds good...post your results & over time we'll all be able to check in & judge for ourselves...I still wonder about the silicone in it though as far as getting future Vulkem or Parabond to stick...

We intend on a "once over" with Nuvite "S" (which has a wax componant in it) & the cyclo for our annual (bi-annual?) maintenance plan...should be able to accomplish that in a weekend.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 10:52 PM   #16
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Let me jump back in here and state that as good as Blue Magic is .. we only used it to touch up and maintain polished radiators that were prepared the old fashion way ... lotsa sweat, a polishing wheel and a variety of Rouge.

Once your trailer is polished ... I would try going the Blue Magic route for maintenance.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 11:17 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by swebster@myrvadvanta
alan - where did you get the liquid glass?
Found it at Pep Boys last summer, the one can did my AS and my car, and has 1/3 or so left if you can belive that. I did two coats on the roof of the AS and one on the sides. It still looks great, shiny and smooth after a rinse off. They have a web site as well.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 01:47 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

, Utah
Smile my 2 cents worth

I got a can of Blue Magic and a can of Rolite metal polish this afternoon. In a totally unscientific test I worked on a couple of areas by hand with each product on the front of my Tradewind. The Blue Magic beat the Rolite hands down on how fast it cut though the oxidation and brought up a good shine. Both were terrible for the corrision, pits, and scratches, no matter how much elbow grease I poured into it. (kind of expected that) Both were about the same for mess and cleanup.

Conclusion - Once I get that shine Blue Magic looks like it might be the way to keep it, cuts though oxidation fast and has a good shine. But like what has already been said by Shari and others some abrasive action is needed especially in areas like the front of the trailer. Still pondering the silicone issue.

I have been wondering about giving the trailer the once over with the Blue Magic for a fast shine. Then going over the rough spots with Nuvite F7 or Rolite prepolish and then going over those spots with Blue Magic again. But then the short cut thing leave me feeling guilty so maybe I'd better leave it as got a thought.

Rod

P.S. If anyone would like to conduct more unscientific testing I've got a approximately 21.999 feet of Airstream availible (not including the tongue)
rschulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 12:01 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

, Utah
my 2 cents worth continued

Broke out the Cyclo Polisher for the first time today and tried the Blue Magic. Not as impressed today. Had to push pretty hard to cut 45 years of oxidation and junk and it did very little to fix the scratches. Worked beautiful on the places I'd already had a good shine on and seemed to make it even better. But I think I'd better use something with more "teeth" in it and than maybe use the Blue Magic for Maintenance, Especially since I now have a can of it kicking around.

Rod
rschulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 05:17 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Baghdad , Iraq
Thanks for the input Rod. I think I might just use the Blue Magic to keep the shine one it is there. You guys are great. I have learned so much just reading about all of the trial and errors that people have made. Hopefully I can do things right the first time. Rob