Old 11-01-2011, 11:50 AM   #15
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorii View Post
Don't think you can beat a pure carnuba wax with no cleaners or polishers included. I use Mothers brand but there are others. It is more work; but, it also lasts much longer. Also, it seems that it gets easier after a couple of applications in a season??
Double ditto, that's all I've ever used. She's getting an application now and will get another coat in Jan. after we've been in the deep desert for a while. Another wax after we get back to Seattle for the season keeps Bess nice and shiny! I haunt thrift shops for terry-cloth towels since I've been busted so many times for sneaking towels away from my wife.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:18 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, here is a picture of my Lincoln and it has only been waxed a few times. [Airstream never waxed]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5627RS.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	272.6 KB
ID:	144390  

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:35 AM   #17
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
High Bob....

EC Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:04 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Goleta , California
The November issue of Consumer Reports rates Nu Finish paste the best car wax for durability. I am going to try it on the roof of my 61 Bambi to protect a recent polishing job. I had been using Mother's Carnauba Cleaner Wax which seemed adequate to me but it's durability rating by Consumer Reports is "poor" whereas Nu Finish is rated "Excellent" for durability. It's the highest rated wax overall in the test. Nu Finish also maintains that any old wax should be removed. Anyone have negative thoughts about applying this to the aluminum clad skin?
Old 11-10-2011, 10:34 AM   #19
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, after I bought my trailer, I bought a bottle of Walbernize for it. I first tried it on my Lincoln. It went on easy and wiped off easy, but didn't last very long; Maybe a few months. So I never used it on my trailer. Now my trailer is close to five years old, from date of my possession. Actually more than five years old from date of manufacture and I have never waxed it. So far so good. These pictures are after it's last bath a few months ago. My trailer is always parked outside and I'm about eight miles from the Pacific Ocean. [your results may vary]

But if you want to wax or protect your trailer, I think the paint sealer that Robert Cross uses might be your best bet.
And as you can see from the photos, he also uses [6] 3-lb cans of CRISCO on the wall next to the parking spot. Beef tallow was good enough to grease the skids for Titanic, but, noooo, those Californio's have to have the vegan alternative.

Then again, considering the fate of the White Star liner, perhaps all that tofu, tarot card, astrology stuff has something to it after all.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:37 AM   #20
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by walwalla View Post
The November issue of Consumer Reports rates Nu Finish paste the best car wax for durability. I am going to try it on the roof of my 61 Bambi to protect a recent polishing job. I had been using Mother's Carnauba Cleaner Wax which seemed adequate to me but it's durability rating by Consumer Reports is "poor" whereas Nu Finish is rated "Excellent" for durability. It's the highest rated wax overall in the test. Nu Finish also maintains that any old wax should be removed. Anyone have negative thoughts about applying this to the aluminum clad skin?
I think that if you do a sustained and thorough search here (as well as of any other forums featuring A/S trailers) that many other concoctions have been tried, often found wanting. Something beats nothing up to a point, but tried-and-true is, IMO, the best way to start.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:56 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
From Rednax:

"And as you can see from the photos, he also uses [6] 3-lb cans of CRISCO on the wall next to the parking spot. Beef tallow was good enough to grease the skids for Titanic, but, noooo, those Californio's have to have the vegan alternative.

Then again, considering the fate of the White Star liner, perhaps all that tofu, tarot card, astrology stuff has something to it after all."

Now THAT, is funny!

Feeling obligated to wax my trailer I was looking for something good but easy. I stumbled onto a synthetic that is formulated for clearcoats and can be applied to rubber trim, plastic lenses and all sorts of other things you find on your typical car. It is Turtle Wax Ice. It is a clear liquid that wipes on and wipes off. It is very EASY to apply and lasts through the summer, at least for me. I really like it on my TV because it also brightens all the black stuff like mirrors and door accents on my Tundra.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:55 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Another vote for NuFinish.
Picked up some Griots based on Bob's recommendation, but having never used it, I was afraid to apply yesterday in full sun.
Exactly four hours to wax from stem to stern.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:41 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
NuFinish. I started using it in 1981 on my 1972 Pinto. I stopped using it when I went to reapply another coat 2-3 months later. The same reason I detest using it resurfaced when my Great Uncle decided it was the thing to use on his $50,000 Lexus a couple of years back and I was the lucky fellow to do the chore. Let me explain...

True, by the standards consumer's reports uses to measure 'durability' almost all of what is applied the first coat remains - but it turns into it something resembling transparent road tar over time.

On trying to reapply a second coat it best resemble 3M spray adhesive the very minute fresh wax touches it. When you are waxing by hand it at least triples the work effort required to melt through the old coating and penetrate down to the paint. One might think that is a good thing, that it has good 'bite', but it has softened and holds soot and abrasive dust if judging by the dirty polisher bonnets or terry-cloth towels or new spider-web swirls in the paint, and the new-finish build up also can help keep blobs of water reforming in the same places that can burn through the clear coat with acid rain or other fallout.

Just saying - if it looks too good to be true it usually is...

And no I don't have a good recommendation, I use NXT wax that reflects UV and gives my tow vehicle a violet glow for a month-plus after I wax it

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:26 AM   #24

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Austin , Texas
Question-- is it safe to use the Griots One-Step Sealant instead of the Griots Paint Sealant? I recently purchased a 2013 AS with some very minor scratches etc--I want to get this baby in tip-top shape, so I've been scouring the forums for the best process.

Griots has both the One-Step Sealant (which the co says is the paint sealant with added machine polish 3 and should be applied with the orange correcting pads) and is readily available in Advance Auto Parts stores, versus the regular Griots Paint Sealant, which has to ordered from Griots or Amazon and only ground ships, but doesn't include the machine polish 3. ???

Thanks for any advice.

BTW - What I've deduced to be the best steps for cleaning and protecting a newer AS from the forums are:
1. Pre-Wash
2. Wash thoroughly
3. Clay bar
4. Sealant (a la Griots Paint Sealant or Liquid Glass)
5. Spray on wax

If I am mistaken with any of these steps, please advise. Thanks in advance!

-Kelly
Old 05-15-2015, 11:25 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB International
Carlsbad , California
Always a fun discussion. Odd that there's no activity in 3 weeks. Many people with great input and experience. Robert, Bob and Howard. What I have gleaned, " it's not so much what you use but that you use it religiously ".
Old 05-15-2015, 12:37 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Vancouver , Washington
Because my AS has a clear coat finish (as do all newer models), I've treated it like my cars and used automotive wash and wax that's safe for clear coat finishes. My brand of choice for both the wash and wax is Meguiars. The wash is less likely to remove the existing wax finish than other types of soap, and the liquid wax goes on and comes off easy. My AS is now 14 years old and the finish looks like new.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11.21.14 photos 138.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	269.3 KB
ID:	238469  
Old 05-15-2015, 06:34 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Saint Augustine , Florida
Liquid Glass - hands down!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 05-16-2015, 09:17 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Resurrected thread!
I can provide an update on my 9/2012 post... I tried the Griots, and was not impressed. The Nufinish keeps the water beading up almost the whole season, while the Griots seemed to wear off in a month.

Also, I've been Nufinish'ing our rig since it was factory new, and there is VERY little filiform....