Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2011, 07:09 AM   #1
VNO

1975 Argosy 24
Germantown , Tennessee
Best Stripper for Multiple Layers of Old Paint

I have seen several strippers recommended, but does anyone know what is the best stripper for at least two (probably more) layers of paint on my '74 Argosy?
Eaglemate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Aircraft paint stripper best by far. Use it at warm temps, out of direct sunlight if possible (that keeps it "wet" and working), agitate it in the working area with a brass brush or 3M green pad, don't try to do extremely large areas...its easier to do in sections, wear glasses, rubber gloves (not puney latex), don't work with it in the wind...one time will convince you of that, and keep a water hose handy for the occasional removal from your skin. Water kills it right away...so don't try to use it on water wet surfaces....do use it right away to stop skin contact problems.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:07 AM   #3
VNO

1975 Argosy 24
Germantown , Tennessee
Are you thinking that those "spray on" strippers talked about in this forum probably aren't the best idea? It looks awfully convenient
Eaglemate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:21 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
Melody Ranch is likely on the right track, but you could always go to Home Depot and try some Citri Strip. I used it last weekend on my '99, but that was not a very arduous test. I worked very well and very fast on my newer clear coat. I didn't use or need gloves etc. (your mileage may vary on that). But I don't know how well it would work on older multi layer paint. You can buy a quart for about $12. So it might be worth a test before you go with the nasty stuff, in the end though, I figure that is where you will wind up. Let us know how you make out.

BTW, I didn't use the spray on version, I used the brush on, very easy to apply.
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries

KC3MAP

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:53 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I have used both Aircraft Stripper and Citri-Strip for different purposes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglemate View Post
I have seen several strippers recommended, but does anyone know what is the best stripper for at least two (probably more) layers of paint on my '74 Argosy?
You don't say whether you are stripping the exterior or interior of your Argosy...but I agree with Melody Ranch...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
Aircraft paint stripper best by far.
HOWEVER, I would only use it on exterior surfaces unless the interior is removed and outside in a well ventilated area and you are not working overhead with it. It really burns if you get it on your skin and I'm sure it would be horrible to get in your eyes if working overhead. I know people have used it on the interiors...but I wouldn't. Citri-Strip works well and is very easy to work with - but go with the brush on kind regardless of which product you use. The spray on dries out to much as it's being sprayed and does't work as well as the brush on versions IMO. It's also much more expensive in the long run and I think less controllable.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote