Old 07-07-2004, 02:05 PM   #1
73 Safari

1973 23' Safari
Ellijay , Georgia
Send a message via MSN to kadyacres
AS Polishing in the Southeast??

We live in the north Georgia area. Is anyone familiar with someone in the southeast that does AS polishing of the exterior skin?

Thanks

Greg & Katy Baker

'73 Safari '03 Ford Excursion
Ellijay, Georgia USA
kadyacres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 03:09 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
AS Polishing in the Southeast??

Greetings kadyacres!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadyacres
We live in the north Georgia area. Is anyone familiar with someone in the southeast that does AS polishing of the exterior skin?

Thanks
While not exactly nearby, you are less than 600 miles from one of the firms who has been polishing and Plasticoating Airstreams for decades (since 1970). The company to which I am referring is P and S Trailer Service in Helena, OH.

The Ruths polished my '64 Overlander nearly three years ago, and I am as pleased with the results today as the first day when I towed it home from their shop. I asked for and received a coach refinished to the sheen/appearance that it had when it was new in '64 - - I have a friend who wanted a "mirror" finish and that is what he had when the Ruths were finished. You can learn more about P & S Trailer Service at:

P and S Trailer Service

The photo below is of my Overlander taken last year when the polish/Plasticoat was a little over two years old:

The photo below is of the Worthington Aluminum LP tanks that were mirror polished at the same time as the coach (they were not Plasticoated as there was concern that the Plasticoat would be damaged during handling when having the tanks refilled):

I am located nearly 500 miles from P and S Trailer Service, and found the Ruths to be fantastic to work with. They were very accommodating in making arrangement for both drop-off and pick-up.

Kevin

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 03:44 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

If you find a place in GA, since I am here also , please let me know.

I called P & S trailer and they wanted approximately $6,000 to do my trailer and I cannot afford that. I wish I could though because the pics. look great!
They told me they do the work typically in the winter mos.

Rob.
Old 07-07-2004, 08:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Buying an AS is sometimes the cheap part. Bringing them to the condition that you want both inside and out can be expensive. 6K is alot of money until you pick up a buffer. I will pick up mine next week and start but I can be truthful and tell you that I am not looking forward to it.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 01:05 PM   #5
73 Safari

1973 23' Safari
Ellijay , Georgia
Send a message via MSN to kadyacres
Thanks Kevin for the info. I called them and they quoted $200 per foot. Going up and back x 2 adds to the consideration as well. Seems to be all the info in the forum on how to polish. Might just try it myself once the weather gets a little cooler.

Greg & Katy Baker

'73 Safari '03 Ford Excursion
Ellijay, Georgia USA
kadyacres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 01:32 PM   #6
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel
Buying an AS is sometimes the cheap part. Bringing them to the condition that you want both inside and out can be expensive. 6K is alot of money until you pick up a buffer. I will pick up mine next week and start but I can be truthful and tell you that I am not looking forward to it.

Rick,

You may not be looking forward to it now but that all changes.

Actually it goes in stages. Once you start your see the big immediate improvement and thing wow this is great. You can't wait to get it done and want to work on it when ever you can

Then about after 50 hours, you feel wow this is a big job.

After 80 hours you say, man I just want this thing done

After 100 hours, you think, hey that looks good enough! I'm done!

Then when your all done, you'll love it and be glad you did it... ...then do it again next year.

Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote