Old 03-02-2007, 08:14 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
afton , Virginia
argosy stripped to bare aluminum

We recently purchased a 73 26' Argosy. The PO started the restoration process, but personal circumstances prevented the completion.
He replaced some flooring near the door and removed some panels, the countertop, stove and sink and the couch up front. in the process. We recieved "Arnie" with all the parts and pieces stored inside. Removed and cleaned everything inside. We removed the bellypan and checked out everything underneath. Yuckie poo! No carcasses...lots of dirt..droppings and grime. Considering age...all looks quite well. We ordered POR 15 to treat and seal several rust spots...but none too severe. Ordered lock channels for access doors which were locked with no keys ...PO removed with drill. Replaced all appliances....new stove...new fridge. Stove was working...which we will salvage...just needs a little TLC. Saved the "green" retro sink. Love it. Replaced faucets. The furnace was very dirty. Removed ...took apart...cleaned components. Works great. Replaced hotwater heater and plumbing front to back. I will post pics.
Question : 1.Could someone post a pic or diagram of the couch? I think I have everything ready to put back together....but a few of the little puzzle pieces have me wondering.
2.The PO stripped all the paint to bare aluminum. It actually looks pretty good. The big question is what to do with the galvanized endcaps. He primed the front. but not the back. We're leaning towards a professional silver finish (auto paint) on these. Any thoughts?

Old 03-02-2007, 09:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Paint is the only answer...

The steel end caps can't be polished, so some form of painting is going to be required. There are searchable threads on painting, and several examples of Argosies painted colors other than white or ivory or silver.. Search for "vintage thunder" to see one done by editor of Airstream Life...

Good polyurethane auto or aircraft paint well installed will work well and last a long time.. Finding and applying primer that will stick is big key, since aluminum surface will only stay "really clean" for a short period before it starts oxidizing at surface..

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:22 PM   #3

1973 20' Argosy 20
n ft myers , Florida
paint

algrip i think make good chrome paints rustolum
Old 03-02-2007, 09:23 PM   #4

1973 20' Argosy 20
n ft myers , Florida
argosy parts

door parts where did you find part for agosy at a googd price i have 20 foot 1973
Old 03-02-2007, 09:47 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
afton , Virginia
Inland RV...these were access (side panel) doors. Hopefully these pics come thru....I am new to this....
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2007, 11:38 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
afton , Virginia
fresh water access door

Anyone know where I can find the latch/ lock for this one....searched everywhere!
Access for the fresh water tank.
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2007, 04:07 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
26 Arg. Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alumibum
Anyone know where I can find the latch/ lock for this one....searched everywhere!
Access for the fresh water tank.
Hi alumibum; I am in a process of restoring 1973 26' Argosy from ground up. It seems that OUT OF DOORS MART in Kernersville NC has many parts. Call Ben in parts at 866-636-2267. I do have some pics of the front gaucho with seat and the back rest off. PM me if you can use it. Read my post titled "Quest for new Stainless Steel Frame" Thanks, "Boatdoc"
PS. Best aluminum primer INTERLUX #353 Vinyl-Lux Primewash base self etching primer. It is available through boat dealer who carry Interlux line of paints.
Old 03-03-2007, 07:55 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1948 16' Wee Wind
1964 26' Overlander
2007 19' Bambi
crossville , Tennessee
The lock for water hatch is standard 3/4" 751 key rv comp lock u can get at any rv prts store about 5.00 forpaint check out my a/s at Home Page washed with vinagar and light sand in toto with 400 grit wet/dry most with d/a sander then shot with 2-stage acrylic enamel. have done this also to 1969 caravel 6+ years and no sign ofany problem.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:40 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
afton , Virginia
Thanks all! This helps! These forums are invaluable. Boatdoc....looks like we're in the same "boat"....I'll be talking to you!
Old 03-03-2007, 10:57 PM   #10
Certifiable

. , .
Try www.pbase.com/airstreamlife/root to get an idea of what mistral blue looks like on an Argosy.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:17 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
afton , Virginia
Thanks Blue! Loved cruising through these pics! They are awesome. I don't feel so discouraged about "Arnie" Our floor was in good shaped except near the door...which the PO put in. Our running gear was put in this week, with a good report for all parts underneath. We put the couch curtains and beds in today. Will send pics and descriptions. Also wet sanded the endcaps part of the day and checked out the new plumbing one last time before we close up the panels in the bathroom area and begin on bathroom renovations.