Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-04-2003, 01:43 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1986 29' Sovereign
Delta , British Columbia
Anyone have a Cyclo 5 polisher?

I am hoping to polish up my 1960 Travel trailer and I have heard that these polishers are great for this. Does anyone have one they don't need anymore? Let me know at:
truckmail72@yahoo.ca

Thanks,

Rod
72Blazerod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 09:58 PM   #2
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
Rod:
Here's the problem-once you have a trailer you have to polish it!Once you polish it ,you have to keep polishing it about once a year!
Consequently,once you buy a Cyclo,it's part of the family as you're never done!
That's why there aren't that many used ones around.
The other problem is no one will lend their's out as it takes FOREVER to finish a polishing job!
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 08:02 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

I am currently polishing a Shasta trailer. I had thought about purchasing a Cyclo polisher but kept getting outbid on E-Bay. What I've done is use Nuvite polish (C grade) with a Craftsman 6" polisher/sander and then hit the skin with Nuvite S- grade with a Walmart 6" random orbit polisher and buff it out with the polisher/sander. I get a mirror finish and the random orbit polisher removes the swirl marks. I don't know how the Cyclo polisher could improve the finish any more than it already is. Craftsman 6" polisher/sander was $49.00, Walmart random orbit polisher was $17. Picture here:
http://lee.cosw.sc.edu/shasta/062903.jpg
LeeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 07:01 AM   #4

What a joke!

The attempt at using Craftsman and Wal Mart junior dinky winky polishers would be a mistake.

Step up and at least buy yourself a decent buffer/grinder- the chinese ones will last about 2-3 years and are about $50 at Harbor Freight. Use a 8-9" pad- 3M makes them in every texture from coarse to soft foam. Get the 2 sided ones that you can wash out and utilize both sides...
You can also buy a bigger and better grinder for more- check out the manufacturers you prefer and shop for the one you like best.

The smaller pads also turn tighter circles and add way too many swirls. If you choose to waste time like that, go and get a $10 drill attachment...

I have a Cyclo that I tried it for 10 minutes and put it back in the box- its brand new, and I doubt I'll ever use it again... I got it free, so it doesn't matter to me- otherwise, I'd be throwing it through their front window.
trailertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 02:40 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Here's your joke. For your information there are not any swirl marks in the finish. You're idea of getting Harbor Freight crap to replace my Craftsman and Walmart polishers is just plain stupidity at it's finest.

How about I polish mine the way I want to and you do it the way you want to... they both seem to work. I bet my way isn't any more difficult or time consuming than yours is.

Lee
Old 07-28-2003, 12:18 AM   #6
qqq
4 Rivet Member

Trailertrash is an offending name , I would suggest :"the teacher"

Hart
qqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 05:41 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Re: What a joke!

Quote:
Originally posted by trailertrash

I have a Cyclo that I tried it for 10 minutes and put it back in the box- its brand new, and I doubt I'll ever use it again... I got it free, so it doesn't matter to me- otherwise, I'd be throwing it through their front window.
I thought this thread was about someone wanting to buy a cyclo?

Why don't you sell him yours?

DMC
airstreamcaravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 07:45 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

TrailerTrash,

What seems to be your problem. I made a suggestion of what worked for me and I didn't have to spend $400 worth of hardware to accomplish a near mirror shine with no swirl marks. Somewhere in my description you've decided that you wouldn't lower yourself to use such inferior tools. I even posted an example of the results... but I guess it's still an inferior result in your mind.

By the way, I used Nuvite and Walbernize on my trailer... so much for your Turtlewax theory. Sears and Walmart are not up to your "standards" in fine finishing tools... but Harbor Freight is? I would go without before wasting my money on their crap.

I'm sorry if you feel I am polluting this forum with my Shasta questions or information... I guess I'm just not an Airstream Elitists like yourself. I decided I didn't want to spend $4000 on a Bambi or Bubble in worse condition than my $500 Shasta Airflyte. Plus I prefer the look of varnished birch interiors over white laminated plywood.

Lee
Old 07-28-2003, 07:47 AM   #9
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Exclamation

Just a suggestion here, but perhaps it would be better if you both took it offline.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 08:02 AM   #10

Relax...

I didn't say HF was the key to success, but an option on the low end of buying a Bosch or PC or Milwaukee.

I have a Shasta, so your theory is what? Elitist?

Its a tiny little can o' ham, cute, but about 2 hours worth of polishing a corrugated surface, which doesn't show details as a smooth surface on the "elites" does... Its a big difference.

I bought a Bambi 2 for $1000 and the Shasta was $900- big difference in price, or just the will to have the best I can afford?
Old 07-28-2003, 10:17 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by LeeA
I am currently polishing a Shasta trailer. I had thought about purchasing a Cyclo polisher but kept getting outbid on E-Bay. What I've done is use Nuvite polish (C grade) with a Craftsman 6" polisher/sander and then hit the skin with Nuvite S- grade with a Walmart 6" random orbit polisher and buff it out with the polisher/sander. I get a mirror finish and the random orbit polisher removes the swirl marks. I don't know how the Cyclo polisher could improve the finish any more than it already is. Craftsman 6" polisher/sander was $49.00, Walmart random orbit polisher was $17. Picture here:
Looks great to me!

The only difference between the tools your using and the cyclo is the cyclo is a professional grade unit. It's going to have more power available. It will probably outlast equipment your using 10 fold but it's comercial grade and that's to be expected. When I polish out our 59 I'll be using a 10 inch WEN random orbit that I sue on my cars and I might sport for a 10 inch highspeed polisher just to make the job go a little quicker.

THe size of the pad has nothing to do with the swirl marks. The swirl marks your going to make are 8 inches verses 10 inches. THe combound your using has everything to do with the swirl marks. That's why you work down to finner and finner grades. Judging from the fine looking job you have done it looks like you figured that out already.

As for craftman tools....Their power tools are badge engineered. 9 out of 10 chance it was actually made by Black and Decker. Same goes for Kennmore stuff they sell. Most of it's GE or Wirlpool.

While I have about $5k worth of Craftsman hand tools I have almost no craftsman power tools with the excpetion of a router. I personnaly prefer Makita power tools and they have a pretty good selection at Home Depot. That's just me though.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 12:37 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Are moderators censoring posts now? It appears that one of my posts is missing and another two are edited. If you're going to censor my posts... how about the others please.

Lee
Old 07-28-2003, 05:30 PM   #13
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by LeeA
Are moderators censoring posts now? It appears that one of my posts is missing and another two are edited. If you're going to censor my posts... how about the others please.

Lee
They always have been. It's one of their jobs. I've had a few edited too and I have to say rightly so. I was out of line. Happens to the best of us. Same in this case I suspect.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 01:47 PM   #14

Moderation...

I personally feel the moderators on this site are very in touch with fairness and a balance between argueing and spritied discussions.

They allow us to toss and even throw ideas back and forth, and rarely step in and when they do, its usually justified in my opinion.

Perhaps folks unhappy with the moderation here should go to groups that are tilted in their favor. The Spartan Group has the reputation of being a clique, and new moderators are supposed to be cleaning it up and making it more friendly to newcomers, rather than allowing the senior members to beat up and attack anyone new who sees things in a different light. I know of several Spartan owners who stay away from it for that purpose, and that hurts the other members who could benefit from the knowledge and experience of others.

59Toaster said in nicer terms than what I was trying to get across, and I still prefer a Harbor Freight Chink edition with a 3M pad to anything you buy at Wal Mart or Sears- its not going to last adnI don't expect anything out of it- but while it works it does fine- and by the time its done working its so gunked up with "mud" I don't want to pick it up. I love the old aluminum Porter Cable units, and would pay good money for one, and have it rebuilt. They get shined up just like our trailers do... easy to clean! peace.
Old 10-09-2003, 11:22 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1986 29' Sovereign
Delta , British Columbia
Trailertrash, do you still have that Cyclo?

Hey Trailertrash,

Do you still have that Cyclo? Do you want to get rid of it? Drop me an e-mail at truckmail72@yahoo.ca PLEASE!

Rod
72Blazerod is offline   Reply With Quote