Old 07-13-2010, 06:09 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Polymer Sealant Hazy

I tried some automotive "paint sealant" advertized as a long lasting car wax. Groits and Meguires have such a product. They say it can last a year, much longer than regular car wax. I smeared some on my polished aluminum and it took the mirror, or reflectivity away. I was left with looked like the dull grey of the origional plastic coat finish. Very disappointing, so I cut it off with lacquer thinner, and re polished the area.

Maybe I should test products on a mirror first. If it clouds up a mirror, then it will cloud up the polished aluminum.

I'm still looking for satisfactory weather protection for polished aluminum. Maybe this is why Airstream went to brushed aluminum and plastic coat years ago?

David

Old 07-13-2010, 08:29 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Cincinnati , Ohio
I realize that we do not have a solution to the water spots yet on a highly polished trailer, but does any wax help? I had my whole trailer cycled to F7 for the past few months and I just started on the "S." It just got back from a 2400 mile trip to the Birthday Bash and I was inspired by a few trailers that made mine look like it was not even polished. My mom was surprised when I told her that mine was not even close to being the shiniest. I washed it after our trip and did my best to remove all bugs, dirt and water marks. I had to go over a few spots again with F7 before I started the "S." It is about 1/2 done with "S." I keep the trailer indoors and I am now I don't want to bring it outside for fear of more water spots. I clean it with a non detergent car wash cleaner. Would you reccomend putting anything on it, or leave it raw aluminum. I realized that I would need to get the wax off before I polished again. Since it will be inside, I should be fine for a few years. What would you guys suggest?

Old 07-13-2010, 09:55 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
For my TV I use McGuires NXT tech wax having good UV protection partially by reflecting UV - it ends up with a oblique deep purple sheen or luster as it scatters the far end of the spectrum. I tried it on my 73's tail light cast aluminum housings and had corrosion in just a three or four days of normal morning dews.

I'm thinking the aluminum surfaces need chemical 'passivating' to keep them from readily reacting with oxygen - Alodine is has been used in the aircraft industry for nearly forever, they have many flavors and a few multi-step processes to help protect any aluminum item before the pieces are incorporated in a larger structures.

Passivate the panels - castings, etc, then wax them?

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:29 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbiteer View Post
For my TV I use McGuires NXT tech wax having good UV protection partially by reflecting UV - it ends up with a oblique deep purple sheen or luster as it scatters the far end of the spectrum. I tried it on my 73's tail light cast aluminum housings and had corrosion in just a three or four days of normal morning dews.

I'm thinking the aluminum surfaces need chemical 'passivating' to keep them from readily reacting with oxygen - Alodine is has been used in the aircraft industry for nearly forever, they have many flavors and a few multi-step processes to help protect any aluminum item before the pieces are incorporated in a larger structures.

Passivate the panels - castings, etc, then wax them?
Are you going to try it? I already have 3 different things on my trailer. Anybody else gonna be a guinea pig!?

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:19 PM   #19
Birdie Momma

1957 26' Overlander
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Rutherford Co. , North Carolina
Quote:
Anybody else gonna be a guinea pig!?
no!!! we're all waiting on you!!!

Old 07-13-2010, 09:12 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Well, if someone wants to send me a bottle of Alodine, I'll put it on & have 4 different things going! I've got enough $ in stuff for now!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 07-14-2010, 12:03 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
When I get to making the exterior presentable - or strip the interior panels vinyl wallpaper coatings and refresh the interior - I will be using some flavor of Alodine... But I think I will let Aircraft Spruce "store" it for me until then

Old 07-25-2010, 02:02 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1986 34' Excella
Conroe , Texas
I tried the Rain-X and that did not work at all for very long. I put it on a test section one week ago and water spots already. As a matter of fact the water spots seem harder to remove then just Mineral Spirits alone.
I did get a brain storm and am trying some paraffin on a section to see how long it will last. I realize it is only a wax, but curious minds want to know. It is very soft especially here in Texas, we'll see.
Becky... I am still interested in learning how your tests are going. Water spots are my biggest nightmare. I can't seem to keep up with them.
Keep us informed
Al
Old 07-25-2010, 04:26 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archersfin View Post
Becky... I am still interested in learning how your tests are going. Water spots are my biggest nightmare. I can't seem to keep up with them.
Keep us informed
Al
I just went out with a damp rag to see how the water spots wiped off. The Rain-X section didn't really have any. The Metal Gloss section didn't have any to speak of either. The McGuire's had a few & they didn't wipe off (neither did the bird droppings that streaked down the side!) I think a lot has to do with the fineness (if that's a word) of the polishing that's done. I know I have areas on my trailer that have a finer finish than others. Those areas that aren't as fine of a finish collect & keep water spots more than the really fine areas. I think I'm going to go over the areas that seem to spot more & try to get them really smooth--like a piece of glass--and then apply the metal gloss to the trailer. I don't know--it's such a crap shoot! I do want to hear about your wax, though. I also want to hear from someone who has used the Alodine product. Anyone know the procedure for applying that product? I may be pressured to try it out if it's not an ordeal to apply it!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 07-25-2010, 07:06 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1986 34' Excella
Conroe , Texas
Alodine 1001

Here is the Tech Spec for the Product Alodine 1001. It sounds like an etching process prior to painting. Please read the area on Polished Aluminum. Plainly states to paint soon after preping to prevent corrosion.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1001 Alodine, Technical Process Bulletin.pdf (96.1 KB, 39 views)
Old 07-25-2010, 08:24 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
The above is known; if we are not clear coating then wax as the only defense is not quite working. Pilots I know who do their own work passivate everything using Allodine or similar product as soon as possible once they've fabricated the item.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:43 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Water Spot Problem

I don't know if anyone has ever tried this on a polished Airstream. I used to use Mr. Clean Auto Carwash System. It is unit that attaches to the garden hose and had soap and a filter in it. The filter part is the part that might help. It is some kind of de-ionizer. You are supposed not to have to dry it...and it won't water spot. (I quit using it because I every time I wash Bambi now I dry it with towels and detail it. I can't wax or polish it if it is wet. Also I do it early in the morning so the sun doesn't dry or water spot it).

Randy Bowman
Old 07-29-2010, 06:07 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Polished Airstream Weather Protection

Hello Becky,

Your product test indicates rain X and metal polish protected your polished aluminum you worked so hard to achieve. Did these products cloud the polished aluminum? Was the rain X the same product I put on the windshield of my car? The local car wash has a rain x sign in the wash bay, and I wonder if that product is mixed with the rinse water making water bead up on my car.

The Swift aircraft polishing video sold by Nuvite suggest cleaning off the polish residue with corn startch, and then leaving the surfice alone. I suppose the Nuvite polish somewhat fills the pours of the aluminum surface and protects it from corrosion (water spots). This video also recommends keeping your polished aluminum airplane in a hanger. I am finding that sections I clean with lacquer thinner between polish passes tend to water spot more than sections I clean with corn starch.

I was thinking stripping and polishing my 86 34 footer would be a poor man's refinishing of the faded plastic coat. I was willing to do all the work since I work for free. I assumed I could wax my trailer once a year and have it look better. Now I wonder if I have created endless summers behind my polisher?

Need that magic product that will maintain the reflectivity of polished aluminum and protect it from the elements. I'll bet someone has found a product or method that protects their polished Airstream.

David
Old 07-29-2010, 07:08 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
Hello Becky,

Your product test indicates rain X and metal polish protected your polished aluminum you worked so hard to achieve. Did these products cloud the polished aluminum? Was the rain X the same product I put on the windshield of my car? The local car wash has a rain x sign in the wash bay, and I wonder if that product is mixed with the rinse water making water bead up on my car.

The Swift aircraft polishing video sold by Nuvite suggest cleaning off the polish residue with corn startch, and then leaving the surfice alone. I suppose the Nuvite polish somewhat fills the pours of the aluminum surface and protects it from corrosion (water spots). This video also recommends keeping your polished aluminum airplane in a hanger. I am finding that sections I clean with lacquer thinner between polish passes tend to water spot more than sections I clean with corn starch.

I was thinking stripping and polishing my 86 34 footer would be a poor man's refinishing of the faded plastic coat. I was willing to do all the work since I work for free. I assumed I could wax my trailer once a year and have it look better. Now I wonder if I have created endless summers behind my polisher?

Need that magic product that will maintain the reflectivity of polished aluminum and protect it from the elements. I'll bet someone has found a product or method that protects their polished Airstream.

David
The Rain-X I used was the kind you use on your windows. It didn't seem to cloud the finish. The Metal polish didn't cloud the finish. The McGuires did bring it down a little bit. I can't definatively say that either product will keep water spots off the polished aluminum, because neither has been on there more than 6 weeks.

Stripping & polishing a 34 footer is a HUGE job, but of course you CAN do it! However, I don't know the magic sealer to keep water spots to a minimum (ones that don't require a pass with both a polisher & a cyclo each year). I think that I had worse spots on my polished '86 than the '76 I previously polished. The finished polish job was finer on the '76, so I may try to work on the areas on my '86 that seem to be not as fine a finish--maybe the water hangs up on areas that aren't like glass. I don't know.....

This I do know. You WILL have to go over your polish job at least once a year to keep it up unless you have it clear coated again. But that's not the poor man's way!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S