Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2009, 09:39 PM   #1
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Anti-corrosion aircraft wax

I used a product called Micro-Poxy MICRO-POXY AIRCRAFT CLEARCOAT from Aircraft Spruce

My trailer is a 2001 with clearcoat and i was worried about using something that might be abrasive when one of our vendors came in with this product. I used it this weekend and it was really easy to apply and results looked great. Has anyone seen this before?

Vinnie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream wax.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	76303  

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:06 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I'd be up to try this....and be interested in what folks think and/or know about this product.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:23 PM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia

Keep us posted on how well it's working. We're all looking for a good way to seal the silver. Been using Griot's paint sealer with very good results.

Good Luck
Old 03-01-2009, 10:26 PM   #4
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Guys.. I have several spots of corrosion in all the typical spots. They are small at this point and the overall condition of the exterior looks new. I have been reading all the posts about corrosion and wanted to try something new. This guy swears by this stuff. I figured based on the description it was right up my alley. It sure went on beautifully. The shine on the clearcoat is amazing. Give it a try. Its not that expensive.

Vin

Old 03-01-2009, 11:18 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Mill Valley , California
Hey Vinnie
Just what I need. As soon as the weather dries out I have to wash and wax our trailer. Did you buy this stuff locally or by mail order?
Thanks
Dennis
millvalleyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:40 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
Vlamica has a great approach: private aircraft have lots of aluminum and corrosion can have more serious implications (!). A local airport that has retail sales at their FBO will usually carry aluminum care products. Novato or Petaluma aiports, or even Sonoma may have those retail products.
TerraYacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:19 AM   #7
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Guys,

Today im going to check into whats in this stuff? I will call the company and find out about the "poxy" part of it. I will let you know what i hear.

Thanks Vin

Old 03-02-2009, 10:07 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
The picture on their web site shows two containers. Your photo shows one. Did you have to mix them to apply?
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:17 AM   #9
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
If aluminum corrosion begins under the clearcoat, how will this stuff help. Nothing will penetrate through the clearcoat layer to actually stabilize the aluminum and thus prevent oxidation/corrosion.

Tom
Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:36 AM   #10
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Good question

Quote:
Originally Posted by henw View Post
If aluminum corrosion begins under the clearcoat, how will this stuff help. Nothing will penetrate through the clearcoat layer to actually stabilize the aluminum and thus prevent oxidation/corrosion.

Tom

Not sure i have the answer. I will tell you what i did. I have a small pocket of it under the airstream logo about the size of a pencil eraser and i cleaned it all up so it was just gray oxidized aluminum and applied this stuff to it directly. Not sure of the results however it may not be any worse than whats happening already.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:37 AM   #11
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
The picture on their web site shows two containers. Your photo shows one. Did you have to mix them to apply?

I only used the bottle shown. I have a call into the company today to see what the other part does. I will update you when i find out.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:39 AM   #12
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by millvalleyca View Post
Hey Vinnie
Just what I need. As soon as the weather dries out I have to wash and wax our trailer. Did you buy this stuff locally or by mail order?
Thanks
Dennis

Dennis,

I got it through a vendor here in santa rosa but there is also a link at the top of this thread you can order from. Im waiting to talk to the manufacture about the product to see what affect it really has for the corrosion if you have any. Visually i was really impressed with results. Long term i dont know.

Vin

Old 03-02-2009, 11:02 AM   #13
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamica View Post
Dennis,

I got it through a vendor here in santa rosa but there is also a link at the top of this thread you can order from. Im waiting to talk to the manufacture about the product to see what affect it really has for the corrosion if you have any. Visually i was really impressed with results. Long term i dont know.

Vin
If it's the filiform corrosion your worried about, aluMATTER*|*Aluminium*|*Forms of Corrosion*|*Filliform Corrosion There really isn't any product available now that will STOP it, as it forms under the existing coating. Keeping the skin clean and well sealed will help control any filliform that forms from stone chips etc.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...ams-31743.html

The battery door frames, tail lamps, entry door hinges and wheels are another matter.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:43 AM   #14
WBCCI 11067 WDCU

1986 25' Sovereign
Atlanta , Georgia
When I follow the link

I get this picture? When reading the description it claims to work well on bare metal as well. I might try some for my polished metal. Any thoughts?
Attached Images

2007 Chevy Silverado 1500
2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
ckeysor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:24 PM   #15
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
I just got off the phone with these guys. My vendor is really not the guy to ask the technical questions so i have been refered to a company rep. Im expecting a call late today. Im basically going to tell him what we have and ask him how his product might benefit our trailers (if at all). I also asked about the small bottle pictured in the ad. I will post once he calls back.

Thanks Vin

Old 03-02-2009, 12:49 PM   #16
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamica View Post
I just got off the phone with these guys. My vendor is really not the guy to ask the technical questions so i have been refered to a company rep. Im expecting a call late today. Im basically going to tell him what we have and ask him how his product might benefit our trailers (if at all). I also asked about the small bottle pictured in the ad. I will post once he calls back.

Thanks Vin
Thanks for all your leg work on this Vin.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:41 AM   #17
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Still working on information about this product. Seems to be part of the secret society or aerospace research?! Hard to track down the manufacture. Today a rep gave me a phone number and a special reference id for this product. The company is US technology - aerospace research division. I tried calling but it just rang. Maybe a back office. The guy told me he was not suppose to hand this number out. I will keep trying and post back. In the mean time i keep checking the airstream to make sure my clearcoat didnt bubble up LOL! actually i would be crying....
i will let you know what i find out.

Vinnie

Old 03-07-2009, 07:54 PM   #18

San Francisco , California
Re Micro poxy (as finish)
Hi Vinnie,
Wondering if you heard anything definitive yet. There's an airplane guy in Petaluma who seems helpfull -- Electro-something. I'm interested because I stripped the zolatone from the interior of 1960 Caravel and am going to leave the aluminum surface, but I'm looking for something to protect it. I did a couple of tests with Por-15 semi-gloss clearcoat -- it settles the remaining glare a bit, but has a whitish-yellowing finish, and shows brushstroke somewhat. Also deadly and gagsville.
Thanks,
Cindy
Gladiola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:32 PM   #19
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Hi Gladiola,

This is a strange story. I wont say anything just yet but once i get the MSDS i will share what been going on behind the scenes with this product. I would say this is more like a wax protectant. If you are looking for something to coat the existing aluminum other than a wax finish this may not be what you are looking for. This seems to work very well with existing clearcoat. The shine is amazing. You can try it. It sure wont have any negative affects on bare aluminum. Im just waiting to see whats in it and how it affects clearcoat.

Thanks Vin

Old 03-07-2009, 10:46 PM   #20

San Francisco , California
Thank you. It's my impression that the product you're experimenting with is not the two-part product from the same company that somebody else posted a picture of. Will look forward to hearing re clearcoat. I could get some and experiment with a couple of spots, one with clearcoat, one without, since much of my surface willl be behind cabinets etc. Thanks again for detective work.

Cindy
Gladiola is offline   Reply With Quote