Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-08-2003, 11:10 AM   #1

Another Stupid Priceless Saying...

Harbor Freight Chink Buffer......................$50
#5701 9" 3M SuperBuffer Pad (coarse)....$35
#5705 9" 3M SuperBuff Pad (soft)............$37
#5710 5/8" 3M Adapter...........................$9
3 Bottles of Southern Shine w/shpg..........$15

Grand Total Ready to Polish.....................$146

Being able to polish your trailer in a weekend rather than struggle for 2 weeks, or watch someone else struggle for 2 weeks, using the toy Psychlo method...... PRICELESS!!!

The going rate of a Psychlo on Ebay is about $175- sell it and get the better faster system and you can apply the savings of $29 toward fuel for a vacation in your trailer that you'd otherwise be unable to take because you're spending all your time polishing it or paying $100-$200 a foot to have it polished.

The prices for all the 3M materials were quoted from lewismarine.com and are at retail list. You can buy them for 25% less if you contact them and ask for a "50" account or a courtesy account.
trailertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 11:13 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
TT, what model "chink" do you recommend from HF?
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 11:27 AM   #3

Actually-

I had a guy grab one for me who was going there and he got one that is orange and costs $50- its variable speed, and the speed switch is going bad after just over a year- but I use it a lot more than the avg owner will. I guess you can expect 2-3 years out of one, throw it away and start over with another one. Its full size with good power and the handle switches from right to left.

I don't know the name on it is, and I don't care what it is anyway- I don't speak Chinese!

You can buy a Makita, Porter Cable, DeWalt, Milwaukee, Bosch- etc...

I only got this piece of crap because I know its going to be so caked with mud after a year, and I'm trying to get my act together and get an Airmark for $1000 and prefer to put the money toward that one...
Old 08-08-2003, 01:30 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

TT-can I but the SS from you or where? I need enough for a 17'
trailer. Also how many pads. My skin is good with only 1
scratch.

Heidi
hhuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 06:03 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Oceanside , California
Priceless

TT- I was wondering if I could use my Milwaukee hand grinder with a buffer attachment to do some polishing. Also curious as to your wet sanding suggestions.

The current finish is cloudy clear coat patches with a nice blend of hard water stains over the whole thing. Slight pitting on hitch end, and more serious down below. Lots of scratches but nothing all the way through (I think).

Strip clear coat first with the Home Depot stuff?
Then wet sand all the pitting/ scratches?
I have no tow vehicle at the present time so my trailer is yard locked. Hence no high pressure wash for the stripping. Our water is mountain hard too.

I'm sold on the SS cream. Who do I contact to buy it?

Thanks for all your posts...

I have trouble searching the past threads because our connection rots. Ahhh, the joys of mountain living...
Old 08-08-2003, 06:27 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Harbor Freight Cheapies

TT

I can attest to the sagacity of buying el-cheapos from Harbor Freight.

I certainly would give serious thought to such a purchase if I were a professional and needed the tools for everyday use -- go the Makita or DeWalt route for the pros.

But....for weekend chores and cost/benefit computations, IMHO, HF is the way to go. Sure, I've worn their stuff out in a couple of years, but at 1/4 the price of a professional grade, toss it and get an upgraded model.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 10:37 PM   #7

Heidi and JnA-

HH- you need 1 of each pad and about 2-3 bottles of SS, and I'm on the road and hoping someone will take over the shipping and distribution duties.

JnA- Stripping the CC will expose what you have left- many think their skin is worse than it is because the CC is a mess- start with that and don't worry about the hardness of the water during the process. Check out the Wet Spot water softeners at lewismarine.com and they also have one called Shammy Free, not as good, but it'll work, and both are portable. People don't realize how bad the water is for their trailers finish- its the worst element, and the hardest to remove, except scratches.
Get an idea of what you're looking at before you have to worry about wet sanding, and let me know- I'll help you select the proper route- best I can without being there.

TBKP's Overlander is the next victim for SS- I'll be at his place in the AM and will hit his on the way to Barstow for a Spartan Manor. Look for more truthful exposure of this great and CHEAP little product...
Old 08-09-2003, 09:09 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Re: Another Stupid Priceless Saying...

Quote:
Originally posted by trailertrash
Harbor Freight Chink Buffer......................$50
#5701 9" 3M SuperBuffer Pad (coarse)....$35
#5705 9" 3M SuperBuff Pad (soft)............$37
#5710 5/8" 3M Adapter...........................$9
3 Bottles of Southern Shine w/shpg..........$15

Grand Total Ready to Polish.....................$146

Being able to polish your trailer in a weekend rather than struggle for 2 weeks, or watch someone else struggle for 2 weeks, using the toy Psychlo method...... PRICELESS!!!

The going rate of a Psychlo on Ebay is about $175- sell it and get the better faster system and you can apply the savings of $29 toward fuel for a vacation in your trailer that you'd otherwise be unable to take because you're spending all your time polishing it or paying $100-$200 a foot to have it polished.

The prices for all the 3M materials were quoted from lewismarine.com and are at retail list. You can buy them for 25% less if you contact them and ask for a "50" account or a courtesy account.
Ahhhhhh It becomes clear now.

The pads used are a VERY big part of the equasion here.
With the Nuvite the polish has the abrasives in it. The Way TT is doing it is the pad is the abrasive. The SS is basicly a lubricant for the pad and to carry away what the pad removes on the first steps. Then a finnal polish the SS compound is used to get the fine swirl marks out.

I like it! It's doing the same thing as the Nuvite and working down in grades but instead of the grades of paste your using grades of pad and a high speed buffer to do the hard work.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 06:51 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Milwaukee polisher

Milwaukee 5460--0-1750rpm 11AMPS! Size matters in this case.
As a Corian contractor for 14 yrs, I've polished acres of plastic to a mirror like shine. More amps will give you more control over the rpms under load
I just tested a patch 2x2---by the door----started with 220 to 2000 paper. switched to some compound 3 grades(Sattex)I used for bringing it all up. The sandpaper takes out the mill marks, and the polishing is a relatively easy step. but you must use all the intermediate grades of sandpaper. mixing some detergent with the water will make a lather that keeps the water from evaporating as fast as it would without. I use Klingspor abrasives 6" hook&loop....Then I switch to Micromesh for the higher #s...it's pricy but it works fast.
gregg is offline   Reply With Quote