Old 02-06-2015, 01:07 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1961 22' Spaceliner
Portland , Oregon
Airbrite vs. Nuvite?

VTS is always out of stock of NuVite but they have the Airbrite and are telling me it's just as good.

Thoughts?

Old 02-06-2015, 02:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Just got it. At least the VTS website is better. I ordered NuVite from the manufacturer. took 14 or so days to bill me, the website said it was waiting to ship for 30 days. When I called to cancel a couple weeks ago, they said fine. when I called to see where my refund was, they said they shipped it a month ago, even though the site said it was still waiting to be shipped. I found FedEx delivered it to a vacant house up the street. I am very good about tracking my shippings and checking for delivery when actually given a tracking number. I usually sign up for text alerts in case they deliver wrong. I can't see why with numbers on my house and mail box, 1 in 15 packages still gets delivered wrong. They've been very nice to me over the phone, but we'll see. I've used Nuvite, so I'll see how Airbrite does and report back. May do some polishing tomorrow. Seems to smell about the same. I love the way Wizards metal polish smells. Would be fun if they could put some mint in there - just to make the job a little less tedious. It sounds silly, but it's one of those things...

rob.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:31 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1961 22' Spaceliner
Portland , Oregon
Thanks Robwok. It's kinda holding up my project so please let me know. I am not a big fan of mail order (aka "online shopping") either. They lure you in with low prices and then it's a cluster to get your product. Never mind exposing you CC details to the world.

But VTS so far I am happy with.

Anyone else? Airbrite? At $50 /lb I need a reference!
Old 02-08-2015, 05:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
okay, here's a review. I've actually used all 3 - wheel buffing, Nuvite, and Airbrite. Though I was hoping that Airbrite may hold some special magic, it didn't seem overly amazing. For one thing, the Airbrite is a little more solid than the Nuvite. A tiny bit less smelly, and it didn't seem to gum up the pad as quick. When you put it on with the bare finger, you can feel the grit, like super fine sand. I also saw definite swirl marks, so it seems like the Airbrite cuts a little harder, but overall, it didn't seem to make progress any faster than Nuvite. Possibly just a little bit slower actually. It's not a scientific test by any means. I couldn't say that I would really prefer one over the other. My only thought is that Nuvite seems to grab the aluminum better - or something. Now, the airbrite seemed to do better on anodized aluminum, but still hard to say. I used the medium. Haven't tried the fine yet.

Rob.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:46 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1961 22' Spaceliner
Portland , Oregon
Thanks Rob, I went a head an ordered the coarse and medium Airbrite....So far I have only tried Nuvite G6 so I won't have much to compare to. I ordered the Nuvite S for my fine grade since they had that in stock on VTS.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:29 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Tulsa , Oklahoma
I have used nubile exclusively on both of my trailers. This time around for the annual re polish, I ordered the Jetsco system. I haven't used it yet; hoping it works good!
Old 02-08-2015, 07:30 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Nuvite, damn auto correct!!
Old 02-18-2015, 01:06 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Can't believe no one commented on the auto correct. That was hilarious.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:41 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1961 22' Spaceliner
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwok View Post
Can't believe no one commented on the auto correct. That was hilarious.
I know, I thought it was a polish I hadn't heard of. It would be a good name!

BTW - I've started in with the Airbrite coarse. It seems pretty good but I don't have anything to compare it to. It's still taking 2 passes to start to hide the 0000 wool scratches. Wondering if I should be starting with something coarser but I am kind of past the point...
Old 03-16-2015, 12:18 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
holy cow. Just as a follow up, don't don't order from Nuvite if you can avoid it. Took them a month to send me the stuff, they couldn't tell me they had shipped it until I tried to cancel it, and found that Fed Ex left it on the porch of a vacant house. After a lot of emails, they agreed to give me a store credit, but I had to use it quick. So, I ordered, and now it's almost another month and they still haven't shipped it. I don't know what's going on, but I'm so sick of this. I think they're trying to run the clock on my credit card dispute rights. They may have been a decent company in the past, but like Fantastic Fan, they've sold to another company, and the service portion is all gone now. Thankfully we have VTS...
Old 06-12-2015, 09:34 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tempe , Arizona
For those of you that don't know and yes I know this thread is 3 months stale. Nuvite was bought out to solve production issues and is back and faster than ever. Also, airstream life is going to be carrying Nuvite products.
Old 06-13-2015, 10:21 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1961 22' Spaceliner
Portland , Oregon
So I finished the whole trailer was the coarse grade Airbrite. For the rough areas, mainly the lower sections, I had to prep it. It the extreme cases I went 600 grit DA sanding, 1000 grit, 0000 steel wool, and then sisal wheel with black bar.

Before I got the Airbrite I went through a pound of Nuvite G6. I thought I had heard more RPS=better so I was running the rotary at the max 4000 RPMs. This seemed fine with the G6. But with the Airbrite I was getting brown spots and in some cases small black spots that you can't hardly chisel off.

So I slowed it down to 2000 and that seemed better. Where it did leave the brown streaks I could rub those out by hand with the medium grade. I also discovered that Goo Gone is great for cleaning the black residue off rivets...somehow less smeary than Mineral spirits.

So it's still hard for me to compare products. I would say it's been challenging with the Airbrite but the result seems pretty good. Don't know if the NuVite would have been easier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Maiden Voyage.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	240564  
Old 06-13-2015, 11:21 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tempe , Arizona
Using a wool pad instrad of an edger type wheel would've been less "liney" and would've alleviated the black dots. F7 or f9 would've cut that a lot faster and easier than g6 or the coarse airbrite. Also be cautious with steel wool. You risk embedding steel in the aluminum and getting dissimilar metal electrolysis type discharge which will invite corrosion.
Old 06-15-2015, 04:24 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1961 22' Spaceliner
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by pscharff94 View Post
Using a wool pad instrad of an edger type wheel would've been less "liney" and would've alleviated the black dots. F7 or f9 would've cut that a lot faster and easier than g6 or the coarse airbrite. Also be cautious with steel wool. You risk embedding steel in the aluminum and getting dissimilar metal electrolysis type discharge which will invite corrosion.
Hi pscharff94,

Ya, I heard later the possible downsides to the steel wool, and your also supposed to avoid certain types of sand paper. I tried to use a light touch with both. I think the lines you are referring to are actually on the higher panels where I didn't need to use the sisal wheel. These seem to have disappeared on a couple panels where I ventured into the Airbrite Medium and the Cyclo. Without the sisal I would still be going through tubs of polish and packs of bonnets. It's just so much faster and cheaper to get the heavy oxidation off.

The black dots I spoke of actually happened with a wool bonnet. Could have been pitch from a tree..not sure.

So have you tested Airbrite along side NuVite?