Old 08-31-2003, 03:00 AM   #1
Very american 4 a french
1971 27' Overlander
Angry After polishing; Always the same question; NO reply !

Hi there

Particularly to the Airstreamers who have polished ;

It's always the same question but no reply ; I explain:

I'm very interested in polishing my A/S, as most of owners, when the caravan is some decade old. I've red lot of thread about polishing and some duels with different products... but no reply about what to do after polishing.

Do you cover the aluminium with a new clearcoat or vernish?
Do you let the " new " shinning aluminium in this condition ?
Do you cover with a special product to keep the shine as new...
I wonder what you do .

If you have to polish each year, I prefer not polish at all. I have a motorcycle and carters have been polished; If i want to keep the shinning, i can polish each year and it's only a M/C; What a work for an A/S (27') ....

Thank you

brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 04:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master
1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Send a message via ICQ to 53flyingcloud Send a message via Yahoo to 53flyingcloud Send a message via Skype™ to 53flyingcloud
Thumbs up It's really up to you

Greetings Bruno

I can't speak for all those that have polished but, judging from some of the comments on here..I'd say that most people go to some extent to preserve the finish. It might be, putting a coat of wax on it twice a year or, store the unit inside under cover. Or, both method..

I'm still in the process of polishing mine but, once I can bet.. I'll be putting a finish wax seal for protection on it.

Clearcoating, I'm incline to think..Is not worth the trouble, nor, is it long lasting. I say this only because, if you have to do all over again in 5 yrs or whenever the clearcoating starts to fails..why bother keep doing it>?
I'd think it's far easier to just wax it several times a year after the polish project is finis. Certainly, much cheaper..

Share with us your thoughts.

WBCCI 5292 AIR 807
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 08:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Kinda surprised that you have not received a response on this - I must have missed the post because everytime this comes up I usually jump in.

Anyway..... I've lived with a polished trailer for 5 years or so and I use Rollite sealer. Its very easy to use - takes 2-3 hours for the whole trailer. I do that twice per year. I also do a little polish update each year. In the past I use Rollite, now I've switched to Nuvite.

This is probably overkill - I know others who have used the Rollite sealer and let their trailers go for several years before updating.

I'm not crazy about clearcoating - to me year maintenance is not too bad.

Ken J.
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 10:32 AM   #4
Very american 4 a french
1971 27' Overlander
Only 2 replies for this thread; No more 2 people have polished their A/S ?

Thank you to give me more informations; That seem to me important before beginning to polish !

brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:53 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
1976 25' Tradewind
1959 22' Flying Cloud
Mineral , Virginia
I am in the same boat! I am just about finished with polishing mine, and wonder about the waxing, too. Ken, unposed lay, the last step to polishing the cyclone. Is that the step eh err you put a wax on the rags affixed to the cyclone?
Mrhany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master
1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
We polished ours back to "original finish" condition three years ago, and used no wax or sealer. The trailer still looks good, although not quite as good as it did immediately after polishing. It is stored indoors when not in use.

We polished to get rid of dead, streaked clear coat and to remove 40 years of oxidation. We're happy now that the trailer is all the same shade of silver, even though it might not be at the maximum possible shine.

You will find many options and lots of different opinions.

Best of luck with yours.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
Here ya go..

Peace and Blessings..
WBCCI# 30676
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote